ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2022 thread*****

Did I hear the pregame right? The Braves has won 14 in a row? And, over that span they have hit 34 homers? Boy, something has gotta give today!

Did I hear the pregame right? The Braves has won 14 in a row? And, over that span they have hit 34 homers? Boy, something has gotta give today!
Yes on the 14. Thought I heard they have hit 20 HRs in the last 5 games. Thanks God the wind is blowing in.

Even that doesn’t make sense. I guess maybe with Simmons, but Villar brings nothing top-shelf to the table and Heyward isn’t tradable without eating most/all of his money….but none of those guys are going to bring back any prospect of much value. I’d rather they be getting Ortega out there more. He’s a potential trade chip - decent glove and he’s recovered quite nicely at the plate. He’s cheap and could absolutely be a depth OF on a good team.
Those guys might have been guys brought in with the hopes of bringing in good prospects. I doubt they pay a guy like Simmons $4 million for that reason though. Villar had a couple really good seasons with Milwaukee and was pretty decent last year.

Matt Duffy was a guy last year that could have been a great signing/trade prospect, until he got hurt.

Those guys might have been guys brought in with the hopes of bringing in good prospects. I doubt they pay a guy like Simmons $4 million for that reason though. Villar had a couple really good seasons with Milwaukee and was pretty decent last year.

Matt Duffy was a guy last year that could have been a great signing/trade prospect, until he got hurt.
I was fine with them bringing those guys in, and Villar even got off to a quick start. My problem is them playing so often now while doing very little as guys who didn’t really get their shot are being DFA’d.

Thompson pitched really well today. And Frazier cleared waivers so he has to choose free agency or Des Moines.
Great game. The guys on The Score were declaring his career dead this morning. He is young, and could be a valuable arm for years.

Reactions: hawkifann
Yeah, both pitchers benefited from the wind blowing in yesterday.
I thought they said the Braves had hit 20 HRs in their previous 5 games. They were still in that swing mode. You could see a couple of them shaking their heads after flying out deep.

I'm glad that Ross left Steele in to finish the fifth inning. He deserved a win, plus it was a very good teaching minute and evaluation period. Plus plus.
We have to get value where we can this season. Thompson yesterday and Steele today are the best examples. Let’s see what they are.

I do believe that I had more fun walking across muddy fields in this kind of stifling heat while detassling corn than I do sitting in my recliner in the AC watching this current Cubs roster.

got spanked by pirates

this what we’ve become now
Outscored 2-19 last 2 to pirates. Hawkifann usually has solid analysis that I generally agree with but I think he predicted this wouldn't be a top 5 draft team and I was hoping he was wrong. At this rate it could be, I'm fine with them losing every game. If you're gonna suck, suck bad. Rub the Ricketts' nose in it

Outscored 2-19 last 2 to pirates. Hawkifann usually has solid analysis that I generally agree with but I think he predicted this wouldn't be a top 5 draft team and I was hoping he was wrong. At this rate it could be, I'm fine with them losing every game. If you're gonna suck, suck bad. Rub the Ricketts' nose in it
Jed was asked about this yesterday. He gave some rambling answer about how things have changed and teams shouldn’t or it can’t be as easy to tank. The question was something like ‘Theo said you either needed to be good or bad, being in between does you no good’. They are definitely trending toward the bad.

They’ll have a top ten pick for sure at this point. I’ll be curious what they do at and after the deadline. There’s a very much non-zero chance that they actually improve slightly later in the season as more talented, but raw players see more time. It’s not uncommon.

im also still hoping there’s some tiny chance they keep Contreras and Happ.

They are really being hurt by all the injuries to the starting pitchers (yes I know they have offense issues). Stroman has been hurt and underperformed, Smyly has been hurt, Miley had barely pitched, Mills has barely pitched, Alzolay has been out all year, and Hendricks has underperformed.

That is a lot of major league average pitchers that has been missing. Not saying we would be .500 with them but it wouldn’t be as ugly.

I hope they keep Contreras and Happ to make them cornerstones of the next contending Cubs team.

I believe Kyle Hendricks would have had more value to the Cubs at the 2021 trade deadline than he will have any time over the next 2-3 seasons. But that ship has sailed. I wonder if Jed didn’t go all-in on the tear down because there are too many fans who don’t understand MLB who would have been mad about such a thing.

Here’s to hoping for a top 5 draft pick. I’m beginning to hope for a tank job in 2023 as well.

Theo/Jed/McLeod absolutely destroyed what they built from November 3, 2016 until the Yu Darvish trade prior to 2021 season. They are paying for those sins now.

I flipped on the game last night already down like 6-1 and the first pitch I saw was belted over the right center field wall. When you are giving up this many runs is it the TEAM that sucks or the PITCHING that sucks? It's not like the Cubs are booting it all over the field. The number of HRs given up give the rest of the team no chance.

Yeah, offense needs to get better but it is the pitching that has just been atrocious.

Look at all the naysayers who avoid this thread after a solid win!
My takeaway was Thompson looked good. That’s about all I care about right now. That and any position player development we see. It sucks to see Heyward. On a little tear. I’d be crawls above .215 they will never DFA him.

My takeaway was Thompson looked good. That’s about all I care about right now. That and any position player development we see. It sucks to see Heyward. On a little tear. I’d be crawls above .215 they will never DFA him.

A player's value is more than batting average. That's an outdated stat.

Not trying to be a wise guy, but I keep reading about position player development. Which guys, outside of Hoerner, Madrigal, Morel, Velasquez and maybe Hermosillo, do we need to see more development from?

Happ is established, Wisdom and Schwindel won’t be contributors when the team gets good, same for Ortega and Heyward. Villar and Simmons won’t be on the team next year. Higgins is 29. Not trying to be a jerk, but most of the future impact bats are in the lower minors.

Not trying to be a wise guy, but I keep reading about position player development. Which guys, outside of Hoerner, Madrigal, Morel, Velasquez and maybe Hermosillo, do we need to see more development from?

Happ is established, Wisdom and Schwindel won’t be contributors when the team gets good, same for Ortega and Heyward. Villar and Simmons won’t be on the team next year. Higgins is 29. Not trying to be a jerk, but most of the future impact bats are in the lower minors.
You hit on one of them, Velazquez. I also want to see Rivas play a bunch. He might be a capable left-handed MLB batter, and he is skilled around first base. What is he for next year? Time to find out. Schwindel actually has so little service time he will be around for several years if he holds up. There are 40 man decisions to be made on position players and pitchers. Get those guys some time. Jared Young may be someone. Bring him up later on and see if he can perform.
I do not need to see another Hayward AB. Ever.

You hit on one of them, Velazquez. I also want to see Rivas play a bunch. He might be a capable left-handed MLB batter, and he is skilled around first base. What is he for next year? Time to find out. Schwindel actually has so little service time he will be around for several years if he holds up. There are 40 man decisions to be made on position players and pitchers. Get those guys some time. Jared Young may be someone. Bring him up later on and see if he can perform.
I do not need to see another Hayward AB. Ever.
This and Patrick Wisdom is a legitimate major league player. He’s not a star. He’s not a cornerstone. He is a real player and a real power bat.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Farewell to Johnathan Villar. You got $6 million to suck in the field and at the plate, and you only had to show up for 4 months of work to get it.

Farewell to Johnathan Villar. You got $6 million to suck in the field and at the plate, and you only had to show up for 4 months of work to get it.

Pretty impressive. Provided no value in any facet of the game. Probably an asshole in the clubhouse too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT