ADVERTISEMENT

***Official FIFA Women’s World Cup Thread. Former Hawkeye Cloe Lacasse and Canada kick off opening day on FOX at 9:30 CT tonight***

Lacasse came on as a 2nd half sub. But, Nigeria holds Canada to a 0-0 draw.
Lots of calls from Canadian Soccer journalists and fans to see Lacasse start next game. An Arsenal fan put up her highlights. Seconds in is her ghosting two Nigerian defenders on the end line to set up Canada’s penalty kick, which they had saved:

Here was her breakaway call on FOX. If she could only cut that back like she’d been able to do all that half, but great tackle from the defender:

america-jack-coming-to-america.gif

Have to think Messi’s debut for Miami being the exact same time on Univision and Apple TV tonight might eat into that viewership.

Cedar Rapids Gazette write up:

I was debating getting MLS Season Pass today but I'll probably leave for the bar for the USWNT game before Messi actually makes it on the pitch. May not be bad for people watching both at home

Edit: didn't realize the Messi game was a 8pm local start, just assumed 7pm

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
France struggled with Jamacia. Didn't really outshoot them like dominant teams we have grown accustomed to see. It was like 14-6? Tied 0-0. Not sure what's up with France as they are supposed to be strong. I don't think strong enough to win though.

Canada vs Ireland on now. Lacasse STILL not starting. Lacasse’s new Arsenal teammate, McCabe of Ireland, hits the goal of the tournament so far on an Olimpico:

Reactions: Dorrman
Canada in danger of not getting out of the group if they don't pull this one out. They have Australia next

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Oof! Perfect ball in from Lacasse, to an open Huitema in the center of goal. Headed straight to the ‘keeper.

Red card in the 86’ minute for Cloe Lacasse for a racial epithet directed at the Māori people.

Tough way for Menace’s tournament to end.

• Haha
I like chaos as long as it's not my team. I was hoping Canada would lose... but Cloe score.
Canada looking good for a Round of 16. I want Canada to go as far as possible as long as they keep playing Cloe. That way, when she comes to coach the Hawkeyes in about ten years, she’s got “World Cup Champion” on her resume. 😉

Canada looking good for a Round of 16. I want Canada to go as far as possible as long as they keep playing Cloe. That way, when she comes to coach the Hawkeyes in about ten years, she’s got “World Cup Champion” on her resume. 😉

She will always have participated in the World Cup on her resume which separates her from 99.99% of the world.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT