ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Game of Thrones Season 8 thread***

The more I think of it, Season 8 is New Coke.

And they will eventually bring back Classic Coke. The money is too bigly and the formula is all there. Hell, they will even embrace the mantra that the series needed to not end like this eventually as one of the excuses.

The more I think of it, Season 8 is New Coke.

And they will eventually bring back Classic Coke. The money is too bigly and the formula is all there. Hell, they will even embrace the mantra that the series needed to not end like this eventually as one of the excuses.
I feel like Jon Snow was made to be a joke to us. A troll. What was the importance of his heritage if all for him going right back to exile at the Wall?

I feel like Jon Snow was made to be a joke to us. A troll. What was the importance of his heritage if all for him going right back to exile at the Wall?
Yep. Without even a scene with everyone letting him know he saved the kingdom and was a hero.

Biggest line last night was Tyrion “ask me in 10 years”. It will be back if the actors want it to be and depending on how their careers go.

Last edited:
The bad sitcom scene with Bran, Bronn, Brianne, Sam and Tyrion near the end was my breaking point, made me not care about Jon reuniting with Ghost.
That scene was truly terrible. If it was part of a blooper reel that the cast threw together as a prank and put on YouTube, it would have been legendary funny. Including it into the show was terrible.
Apart from that abomination, I have a couple questions. First, why do they still need the Night's Watch? The Wildlings are allies. The White Walkers are all gone. And, most significantly, the wall is in a different kingdom now. And for God's sake, the damn thing is melting anyway. Is King's Landing going to keep sending rapists and murderers to man a wall that won't be there? Eventually, Sansa will have had enough of being King's Landing's toilet.
Second, why bother keeping your promise to the Unsullied? As soon as they are over the horizon on their way to Naath, Bran could disband the Night's Watch and release all members from their vows.
I realize as a plot device this gets us the Jon-Ghost-Tormund reunion the fans want, but it doesn't really make any sense.

I predict that Bronn gets a happy ending....
Perfect example of how crappy the season was. Bronn is both one of the fan's and Martin's favorite characters. He got about 5, maybe 6 minutes this whole season...does nothing heroic or of consequence...but yet they manage to ruin his character. And then he shows up for the sitcom board meeting out of nowhere.

And that whole sitcom meeting was just terrible. The whole thing with Tyrion not even being in the Song of Ice and Fire book, which is ludicrous, was complete Nickelodeon sitcom stuff.... like something off of iCarly.

Another great example is the sudden shift to Tyrion and the council meeting at the end. This was a perfect season 8 crappy and contrived, hasty plot device. It does surprise and confuse but in reality it was contrived garbage to get the writers and producers to not show how the heck Jon was not executed and give 2 minutes of screen time to a handful of characters forgotten about the entire season. Another barely present great character like Yara Greyjoy gets one line, and it makes her look silly due to utter lack of development of her story arc and relationship with Dany this season. And why not show what Sansa did to have the troops of the North ready and reinforced for war? LAZY

In the end, it is so clear that so much of Season 8 suffered from a hasty end. It needed 3 more episodes and more weaving and details. Instead after a two year break we got a rushed BS product that looked like a production of someone who pulled an allnighter to get it in on time.

Last edited:
If Sansa had thousands of North soldiers outside Kings Landing's gates, me thinks there'd be a little more animosity towards the unsullied for having Jon Snow captive. And at some point, there'd be a talk of Jon being the rightful heir to the throne right there. They're all laughing at Edmund Tulley while Jon sits in a dungeon. Robb would have demanded his release and would not have agreed to send him to the wall.

Reactions: noleclone2
Perfect example of how crappy the season was. Bronn is both one of the fan's and Martin's favorite characters. He got about 5, maybe 6 minutes this whole season...does nothing heroic or of consequence...but yet they manage to ruin his character. And then he shows up for the sitcom board meeting out of nowhere.

And that whole sitcom meeting was just terrible. The whole thing with Tyrion not even being in the Song of Ice and Fire book, which is ludicrous, was complete Nickelodeon sitcom stuff.... like something off of iCarly.

Another great example is the sudden shift to Tyrion and the council meeting at the end. This was a perfect season 8 crappy and contrived, hasty plot device. It does surprise and confuse but in reality it was contrived garbage to get the writers and producers to not show how the heck Jon was not executed and give 2 minutes of screen time to a handful of characters forgotten about the entire season. Another barely present great character like Yara Greyjoy gets one line, and it makes her look silly due to utter lack of development of her story arc and relationship with Dany this season. And why not show what Sansa did to have the troops of the North ready and reinforced for war? LAZY

In the end, it is so clear that so much of Season 8 suffered from a hasty end. It needed 3 more episodes and more weaving and details. Instead after a two year break we got a rushed BS product that looked like a production of someone who pulled an allnighter to get it in on time.

It's because we wasted two whole episodes of CGI battle scenes.

CGI >> Storytelling = Bad Outcomes.

If Sansa had thousands of North soldiers outside Kings Landing's gates, me thinks there'd be a little more animosity towards the unsullied for having Jon Snow captive. And at some point, there'd be a talk of Jon being the rightful heir to the throne right there. They're all laughing at Edmund Tulley while Jon sits in a dungeon. Robb would have demanded his release and would not have agreed to send him to the wall.

Yep. It was stupid. Tales of her killing every women and child in Kings Landing and "barbarians" from Essos murdering captured soldiers and then Jon avenging their deaths would have made it to every corner of the Westeros. As would the fact he was also the rightful heir to the throne. The forces of the entire continent would have shown up to free Jon and proclaim him king. Which is why he would have been long dead after murdering Dany. You could drive tanks through the plot holes this season.

Why do they need anyone at the wall? The Night King and his army is dead?

Why didn't Drogon kill Jon?

What were Jon and Tormund doing at the end? Were they taken the remaining wildlings back to Hardhome to rebuild?

How can Samwell be a Maester? He didn't finish his studies at the Citadel.

Yep. It was stupid. Tales of her killing every women and child in Kings Landing and "barbarians" from Essos murdering captured soldiers and then Jon avenging their deaths would have made it to every corner of the Westeros. As would the fact he was also the rightful heir to the throne. The forces of the entire continent would have shown up to free Jon and proclaim him king. Which is why he would have been long dead after murdering Dany. You could drive tanks through the plot holes this season.
I truly feel the writers went all in on shock and surprise instead of fulfilling the story direction. It's not a bad thing if they hype Jon up as the true king only to have him end up as the true king or him killing the night king since he was fighting the dead the entire show. It's okay if people predicted that and it happens.

And that's why Robb is dead and Sansa is Queen in the North......

It's because we wasted two whole episodes of CGI battle scenes.

CGI >> Storytelling = Bad Outcomes.
I feel like they under estimate the audiences ability to appreciate the politics, and nuance of the show. A lot of the complaints this season could be fixed with a few lines of dialogue. In some instances they just need a line or 2 of explanation.

I'll start by saying this ending sucked, not because of the position the characters ended up in, but because the show was rushed and how we got to the end made no sense.

Jon Snow - got what he wanted. He didn't want to be king, he wanted to roam north of the Wall with Tormund. Him getting sent to the Wall was a ploy to placate the Unsullied. All the Westeros people making that decision knew that Jon was going to live free beyond the Wall with the Wildlings. It was a fitting end point for his character, but would have been much better if instead of being banished he actually was named the King, as was his birthright, and instead he chose to banish himself and turned over the throne to Bran. Earlier in the series there was another Targ at the Wall who had taken the Black instead of going for the Iron Throne. It would have made sense that Jon chose the same path.

Dany - needed to die, and Jon killing her was the only way she could have gone out. What she was saying to Jon in that final scene was actually perfect. She had gone mad. She was full on Mad Queen and that is why Jon did what he did, reluctantly.

Bran - played everybody. He knew all along where this story ended, he pretty much said as much, he may have even manipulated events to get to the throne. I'm not sure yet if he is good or evil.

Sansa - Queen of the North. Well played, but like everyone else has mentioned, why wouldn't the Iron Islands and Dorne want independence too? This is where rushing the story makes no sense. It needs a setup like thousands of northmen at the gates of KL ready for another war. This allows Sansa to get what she wants and could be spun as the reason Jon was kept alive and not immediately killed by Grey Worm.

Arya - going to play explorer. Ok, she never was a lady, so I guess that is fitting.

Brienne - finishing Jaime's chapter in the book scene was probably one of the best scenes of the episode.

The final show was great up until the scene after Jon killed Dany. That is when the crapfest started. That council meeting in the dragon pit was probably the second worse scene in the history of the show next to the small council scene that followed it.

In the end the Stark children rule the continent, Jon is King beyond the Wall, Sansa is Queen of the North, and Bran is King of the 6 Kingdoms of Westeros, which is perfect because there is nobody that can plot against him and try to usurp him since he knows all and can see them scheming before they try anything.

Agree with lots of comments... Also why during that stupid meeting at the dragon fighting pits, why was it not snowing? I thought winter was here. Why was the stupid little boy from the Veil okay with Sansa being independent? Would he be extremely pissed that she had little finger killed. I mean he was very buddy buddy with him.

On Jon killing Dany, why didn't he just cover the blood and go back to his people who would protect them. Tell whomever came in that Dany took off with the dragon, don't know where they went. How did they know that she was stabbed unless Jon told them? Which is stupid. Wouldn't the horse riding people be even more pissed that the unsullied. After all she was their queen first, but no mention of them anywhere in the end.

So many questions and it just baffles me.

And why were there so many people there at the meeting at the dragon pits. Why would Breanne get a vote. She is just a knight. Sam didn't finish schooling so why is he there and became a grand maester without even coming close to finishing school.

The only word I can think of to describe that new small council scene is cartoonish. Made no sense at all. The last we see Bronn, he’s pointing a crossbow at Tyrion, yet somehow his head ends up on the Small Council and not on a spike outside the castle.
Somehow Sam goes all the way from emptying chamber pots to Grand Maester in a few months, despite stealing books from the Citadel.
They rebuilt the castle, but never bothered having a meeting during construction.
The only reason the Night’s Watch still exists is so Jon, Ghost, and Tormund could have their reunion. That’s it. No other reasonable explanation.

Agree with lots of comments... Also why during that stupid meeting at the dragon fighting pits, why was it not snowing? I thought winter was here.

Climate/seasonal lag from after killing the Night King. Wights all die/disappear immediately (or at the speed of light, away from the Night King's demise, cuz magic still has to obey the causality laws of Relativity.:cool:

Also, notice in the last scene as they're leaving the Wall, a small shrub is coming up thru the snow as well.

ADVERTISEMENT