ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Game of Thrones Season 8 thread***

And why were there so many people there at the meeting at the dragon pits. Why would Breanne get a vote. She is just a knight. Sam didn't finish schooling so why is he there and became a grand maester without even coming close to finishing school.

Not sure why Breanne got a vote. I believe Sam gets a vote because he's next in line in House Tarly, if he's not considered part of the Nights Watch anymore. Him being a Grand Maester doesn't make sense. I think you have to become a Maester, then Archmaester, then be elected Grand Maester by all the other Archmaesters. That would take a number of years. He cannot simply be appointed Grand Maester by the King. I think he'd be the youngest Maester in history by about 15 years.

The issue for GoT was that the series has passed the books so now the writers and producers are on their own to create the story. Without Martin's help this year the show struggled mightily.

50b4bc2e-380a-44a8-89cd-fcff61f478d9.jpeg

My day after finale hot takes:

Overall, I give the final episode a B and the final season as a whole a C.

My biggest issue is how rushed it was. I liked most of the story choices and the final outcomes for characters, but there was a TON of context lacking, due in large part to cramming so much into a mere six episodes.
The elements were there for a fantastic ending, but the showrunners opted to rush through it, apparently just to get it over with?

On the plus side, I guess, I am now re-invested in hoping Martin completes the book series. I'd basically both given up on that hope and didn't really care for about the past two years. But now, I think he can bring the story to an end while reaching the same basic conclusions and character outcomes, but also fill in a TON of the unanswered questions (what was the true motive of the night king? Is Bran really a force for good? How did Jon break the news to the Unsullied and Dothraki that their queen was dead and how did he avoid being executed on the spot? etc., etc.) in a satisfactory way.

Best performance of Season 8? Drogon deserves a freaking Emmy! That scene right before he takes his mom into his claw and flies away had more emotional resonance than anything else in Season 8. Who said CGI can't render emotion!?

I assume they have plenty right now. And r viewed as hot commodites so they shouldn't want for opportunities.

It's pretty clear by the last couple seasons that the producers weren't in love with the story, characters, etc anymore and it outlived their interest, and that's why they opted to get out sooner than they needed to.

I think it comes down to the fact that ultimately, this isn't their creative product. They didn't come up with the characters, the premise, the story beats, etc. They're executing someone else's vision, still even after it outran the books.

It's nothing unusual. Great studio musicians want to write their own music. Cinematographers want to direct, and directors want to script their own films.

It's obvious that these guys did a tremendous job as guns for hire on this thing, and at the time they started, it was an amazing opportunity. But with the success of GOT, their profile and power increased exponentially. They now can do pretty much whatever they want.

It's not surprising that they lost some of the interest in telling someone else's story, but it is unfortunate. I'm sure it didn't help that at the same time that someone else's story dried up, relying on THEM to properly conclude a story they didn't create. I'm sure it's an incredibly difficult project to do, and they clearly have been ready for some time for it to be over.

Perfect example of how crappy the season was. Bronn is both one of the fan's and Martin's favorite characters. He got about 5, maybe 6 minutes this whole season...does nothing heroic or of consequence...but yet they manage to ruin his character. And then he shows up for the sitcom board meeting out of nowhere.

And that whole sitcom meeting was just terrible. The whole thing with Tyrion not even being in the Song of Ice and Fire book, which is ludicrous, was complete Nickelodeon sitcom stuff.... like something off of iCarly.

Another great example is the sudden shift to Tyrion and the council meeting at the end. This was a perfect season 8 crappy and contrived, hasty plot device. It does surprise and confuse but in reality it was contrived garbage to get the writers and producers to not show how the heck Jon was not executed and give 2 minutes of screen time to a handful of characters forgotten about the entire season. Another barely present great character like Yara Greyjoy gets one line, and it makes her look silly due to utter lack of development of her story arc and relationship with Dany this season. And why not show what Sansa did to have the troops of the North ready and reinforced for war? LAZY

In the end, it is so clear that so much of Season 8 suffered from a hasty end. It needed 3 more episodes and more weaving and details. Instead after a two year break we got a rushed BS product that looked like a production of someone who pulled an allnighter to get it in on time.

The fact they had to cut the screen to black several times this episode to establish the lapse in time before the next scene shows they needed more episodes to do the series justice in the final season. Proves it was rushed. If they would have done that during the first 7 seasons GoT would have been nowhere near as popular. It's just crappy writing. D&D screwed up the series when they declined 10 episodes for the final season, the season that is the most important to the series. HBO should have never allowed D&D to be show runners for season 8 if they did it in under 10 episodes. They clearly just wanted to hurry the end along so they could capitalize on their fame and cash in on future projects. GoT was in the past for them before production even began on season 8.

Sansa proclaims the North is it's own kingdom and the other six are just like, oh ok.

Yeah this would never work in the books. Dorne and the Iron Islands have always wanted their own freedom. This was one of the weakest written scenes in the entire series. Which was followed by another the Tyrion Small Council scene. Go back and watch any of the Small Council scenes in the first 5 seasons and then watch last night's if you want to see how bad the writing got.

Agreed.. have him do the warg thing but instead of eyes rolling back they turn into night king blue.. then scene cut’s to black.
I was actually kind of waiting for this.

Keep in mind, without the luxury of Martin's POV chapters, we have NO IDEA what Bran's/3ER's motivation is nor did we ever hear what the Night King's true motivation was.

I also found it interesting that the Small Council meeting was totally BAU - meaning there could be some subtext that despite all the bloodshed, fire and fury, all that has happened is that the "game" has been reset at square 1.......

I was actually kind of waiting for this.

Keep in mind, without the luxury of Martin's POV chapters, we have NO IDEA what Bran's/3ER's motivation is nor did we ever hear what the Night King's true motivation was.

I also found it interesting that the Small Council meeting was totally BAU - meaning there could be some subtext that despite all the bloodshed, fire and fury, all that has happened is that the "game" has been reset at square 1.......
Isn't that what happened after WWII? The players changed but the game remained the same.

I wonder how much time passed from Jon killing Dany to the meeting at Dragon's Pit? I thought there was an implication of some fighting in between that time. I'm okay with the ending. It could have been better, but, all things have to end.

I wonder how much time passed from Jon killing Dany to the meeting at Dragon's Pit? I thought there was an implication of some fighting in between that time. I'm okay with the ending. It could have been better, but, all things have to end.
Enough time to rebuild Kings Landing; and Sansa to get an army and march down. a year or so?

After the episode "The Last of the Starks" I gave up my hope of the ending I wanted. I then had a clearer mind to just enjoy the last 2 episodes for what they were. Nothing was going to fix the rushed pacing and miss opportunities to sell that ending. I pretty much liked the finale. I cried way too much. I still have questions. But in the end the Starks persevered through all the tragedy that fell on their lives. Jon reunited with Ghost and they will be happy beyond the wall.

I'm also not going to let the Double D's ruin my love of A Song of Ice and Fire. I love this world and the characters too much. I'm still going to read all the books again. I'm still going to watch the entire series again. I'm still going to read all the books that are part of this world. And I will hold out hope that GRRM will give us Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring.

Enough time to rebuild Kings Landing; and Sansa to get an army and march down. a year or so?
Did we even see the Dothraki after Dany was killed? Like my comment about the Unsullied loading up and going to Naath, what if they all didn't want to go? What if some of them were kinda mad about Dany being killed?
I know Missandei and Greyworm wanted to go to Naath, but does that mean they all follow Greyworm? And, did anyone tell the people of Naath, or ask their permission to show up? Who is going to accept all the Dothraki refugees? I assume the all went back to Esteros.

Did we even see the Dothraki after Dany was killed? Like my comment about the Unsullied loading up and going to Naath, what if they all didn't want to go? What if some of them were kinda mad about Dany being killed?
I know Missandei and Greyworm wanted to go to Naath, but does that mean they all follow Greyworm? And, did anyone tell the people of Naath, or ask their permission to show up? Who is going to accept all the Dothraki refugees? I assume the all went back to Esteros.

I was wondering these same things. The unsullied are soldiers and likely not capable of leading a normal life. Who was their leader that decided to rebuild? I would have thought it would be more likely they just packed their shit and jumped on the boats back to Essos rather than rebuild a foreign land.

Where are all of the Unsullied and Dothraki spawning from? Did the writers and show runners even watch the Battle of Winterfell? There should literally be like 5 Dothraki left and only a handful of Unsullied. The only people still alive and fighting at the end of the Battle of Winterfell appeared to be the main characters, who apparently managed to fight off incredibly perilous situations to stay alive. Yet, last night Dany stood before legions of these same soldiers. Do they even watch their own show?

How the Hell did they find out John stabbed her?

They left tons of open story lines. This will go on for a decade. John in the North. Arya becoming a traveling serial killer. Tyrion, will he ever get with Sansa?

I did scratch my head when Jon went north of the wall he looks back “like I can never go back” except for the night king tore down a big chunk of that wall.. and also if the books where complete this is atleast a 10 season show

It's a fictional TV show, not a documentary.

I mean, we could apply your standards to all epic fantasy stories I suppose:

Why wouldn't the orcs form a union due to horrible working conditions in the mines of Mordor?

If Superman could reverse the spin of the world to turn back time itself, why wouldn't he just do that every time a villain commits a world-threatening crime and kill him as a young child?

Why wouldn't the developers of the second Death Star bother to fix the pesky "one well-aimed munition from a relatively small fighter craft can blow up the whole goddamn thing" weakness?

My day after finale hot takes:

Overall, I give the final episode a B and the final season as a whole a C.

My biggest issue is how rushed it was. I liked most of the story choices and the final outcomes for characters, but there was a TON of context lacking, due in large part to cramming so much into a mere six episodes.
The elements were there for a fantastic ending, but the showrunners opted to rush through it, apparently just to get it over with?

On the plus side, I guess, I am now re-invested in hoping Martin completes the book series. I'd basically both given up on that hope and didn't really care for about the past two years. But now, I think he can bring the story to an end while reaching the same basic conclusions and character outcomes, but also fill in a TON of the unanswered questions (what was the true motive of the night king? Is Bran really a force for good? How did Jon break the news to the Unsullied and Dothraki that their queen was dead and how did he avoid being executed on the spot? etc., etc.) in a satisfactory way.

Best performance of Season 8? Drogon deserves a freaking Emmy! That scene right before he takes his mom into his claw and flies away had more emotional resonance than anything else in Season 8. Who said CGI can't render emotion!?
I'm with you on Drogon. That's why I said he was immediately in the front tier of Democratic presidential candidates.

It's a fictional TV show, not a documentary.

I mean, we could apply your standards to all epic fantasy stories I suppose:

Why wouldn't the orcs form a union due to horrible working conditions in the mines of Mordor?

If Superman could reverse the spin of the world to turn back time itself, why wouldn't he just do that every time a villain commits a world-threatening crime and kill him as a young child?

Why wouldn't the developers of the second Death Star bother to fix the pesky "one well-aimed munition from a relatively small fighter craft can blow up the whole goddamn thing" weakness?
@lucas80 gonna be like

giphy.gif

Dany - needed to die, and Jon killing her was the only way she could have gone out. What she was saying to Jon in that final scene was actually perfect. She had gone mad. She was full on Mad Queen and that is why Jon did what he did, reluctantly.
I fully agree; I was actually pretty happy with this part. It showed how she had gone Mad Queen and how at that moment Jon really realized she would not be changed. She truly believed what she was doing was the right thing and he knew what must be done.

Edit: WhiteSoxClone beat me to it (as to how were there so many Unsullied and Dothraki still alive after episode 3).

Last edited:
After the episode "The Last of the Starks" I gave up my hope of the ending I wanted. I then had a clearer mind to just enjoy the last 2 episodes for what they were. Nothing was going to fix the rushed pacing and miss opportunities to sell that ending. I pretty much liked the finale. I cried way too much. I still have questions. But in the end the Starks persevered through all the tragedy that fell on their lives. Jon reunited with Ghost and they will be happy beyond the wall.

I'm also not going to let the Double D's ruin my love of A Song of Ice and Fire. I love this world and the characters too much. I'm still going to read all the books again. I'm still going to watch the entire series again. I'm still going to read all the books that are part of this world. And I will hold out hope that GRRM will give us Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring.

I think GRRM is smiling right now. For one he's like see this is why it's taking me so dang long to finish the books. This series has gotten so big and so complex it's a nightmare for him to try and reign back in again and do the series justice in the end. Robert Jordan ran into this problem with a Wheel of Time before Sanderson saved the ending somewhat. On the other hand GRRM is like man Double D just botched this thing so bad that people that didn't even read the books are going to be buying the books now. The crap thing for us is GRRM has been writing scared ever since his books blew up 10 years ago. Now the pressure is really on him to deliver. I think Rothfuss has been feeling the heat too ever since the Kingkiller books blew up and Hollywood came calling.

Reactions: PackerHawkeye1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT