ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Game of Thrones Season 8 thread***

In the book, the Night King is a legend and doesn't even exist in it's show form
That's because in the books, most of the stories are POV. Jon having the most chapters out of anyone. But he hasn't encountered anyone like the Night King yet in the books, no.

Reactions: Auger
That's because in the books, most of the stories are POV. Jon having the most chapters out of anyone. But he hasn't encountered anyone like the Night King yet in the books, no.

Gods help us if GRRM is still planning on introducing him. The story should be contracting at this point, not expanding.

Rewatched the final episode last night. Wasn't going to but it was on so gave it a shot. The first half of the episode was really good. Once the scene with Jon killing Dany and Drogon torching the Iron Throne and leaving with Dany's body was over the show fell off a cliff. It's almost like it was two different shows and the people who did the second half were Jr. High film students. Starting with the scene in the pits everything just got laughably ridiculous and made no sense.

My biggest issue with the show was the treatment of Jon Snow. I'm fine with where his character ended up, I'm not fine with how he got there. So while they are having this stupid meeting, at least Tyrion told Grey Worm twice that they had no say in Jon Snow's fate and all GW could say is "shut up, you are our prisoner". Okay, all of Westeros nobles are there and nobody brings up the fact that Jon Snow is actually Targ/Stark and the rightful heir to the throne? He killed a woman who burned KL to the ground and was actually a usurper since he has a better claim to the throne? None of this comes up? They talk about letting the King (Bran) decide his fate, Jon is the King you morons! You don't think that when the Iron Islands and Dorne learn the entire story, that Jon is the true heir, bent the knee not knowing he was the true heir, and did so in order to defeat the NK, and then killed Dany for her destruction of KL and realizing she was unfit to rule as she planned on bringing more death and destruction to Westeros, you think that after learning all that they would still want him punished? No way. They would have lined up behind him. The entire story surrounding Jon's fate was just screwed up, and it didn't help that Jon just sat there and didn't assert his claim, though it would have been out of his character to do so.

A better conclusion at that meeting would have been for the Westerosi to tell Grey Worm that he is holding the rightful heir to the throne prisoner and that there will be war if he is not released. Once Jon is released and given the throne he abdicates it and HE comes up with solution of the nobles choosing a leader as that is what Dany wanted, to break the wheel and a new way of doing things. Jon then chooses to go north of the wall and live with the Freefolk so he is no longer a point of controversy and that he feels he doesn't deserve to rule after all that has happened. It should have been his choice to turn it down, and it would have been a nod to that other Targ earlier in the show who chose the Nights Watch over the throne.

IMO, they completely bungled Jon Snow's story, he was THE GUY, the focal point of the story and in the end he was idiot Grey Worm's prisoner and his family threw him under the bus, again.

I am scrubbing my memory of that last episode and going with this ending.

60725679_910843589262089_8258791045815336960_n.jpg

Since people came back from the dead - the dragon took the body back to where the blond chick walked into the flame and came out with the dragons. But now the dragon lays an egg in the fire and places the body there so that she is reincarnated but without the high maintenance personality. Now that's a happy ending.

Breaking Bad. All day every day and it’s not even close.
As my good friend @bladel says, what makes Breaking Bad so remarkable is that EVERYTHING about the show got better as it added more seasons. Better writing, amazing new characters, better acting, better storylines, more gravitas, higher stakes.

And then it went out with an amazing finale AND spawned a spin off that is as-good, maybe even better than the original.

That is just unprecedented.

As my good friend @bladel says, what makes Breaking Bad so remarkable is that EVERYTHING about the show got better as it added more seasons. Better writing, amazing new characters, better acting, better storylines, more gravitas, higher stakes.

And then it went out with an amazing finale AND spawned a spin off that is as-good, maybe even better than the original.

That is just unprecedented.
Intriguing. As much as I loved breaking bad we never got around to better call Saul. We watched the first episode and it didn’t grab us. Will have to give it a chance

Just rewatched the finale, as I didn't like I had such a bad impression of the way it ended initially. Will echo what others have said, up to Drogan flying away with Dany, great episode...dragon pit, Seinfeld scene were the worst 20 minutes of the series, but the last 5 minutes hold up better this time, because I wasn't as pissed about what I was seeing.

They still did Jon dirty the last two seasons, and Bran the Broken is just eh...makes sense, but could of been done better with some extra time, because as a character he kinda sucked.

Just rewatched the finale, as I didn't like I had such a bad impression of the way it ended initially. Will echo what others have said, up to Drogan flying away with Dany, great episode...dragon pit, Seinfeld scene were the worst 20 minutes of the series, but the last 5 minutes hold up better this time, because I wasn't as pissed about what I was seeing.

They still did Jon dirty the last two seasons, and Bran the Broken is just eh...makes sense, but could of been done better with some extra time, because as a character he kinda sucked.
Bran being a poor character can be almost completely attributed to the disadvantages of television.

In the books, when you get a ton of exposition, point-of-view narratives and internal monologues, he’s very intriguing.

The real question is GOT v. Breaking Bad v. the first 3 seasons of the Walking Dead.

I'm still Team GOT. I have loved TWD and have read the comics. But have only seen BB through 1 time and felt meh about it. Game of Thrones speaks to me on a different level. It really is my all time favorite story. Even if we don't have an ending by the author yet.

Reactions: B_U_C_K_Y
Bran being a poor character can be almost completely attributed to the disadvantages of television.

In the books, when you get a ton of exposition, point-of-view narratives and internal monologues, he’s very intriguing.
Not sure when they knew this was the ending on the tv side, but they needed to beef him up with some of what you mention in the books. It seemed like he just disappeared for a couple of seasons.

Not sure when they knew this was the ending on the tv side, but they needed to beef him up with some of what you mention in the books. It seemed like he just disappeared for a couple of seasons.
He didn’t even appear even once in season five. But @torbee is correct, book Bran is very fascinating and can do a shit ton more than TV show Bran.

He didn’t even appear even once in season five. But @torbee is correct, book Bran is very fascinating and can do a shit ton more than TV show Bran.
Yes, I always thought eventually he would warg into one of danys dragons, and attack the white walkers.. the show ran with donderian, rather flip to lady stone heart.. there is also another Aegon Targaryen

That was done on purpose. Because books 4 and 5 are during the same time period but there are just so many different character POVs, half the characters are in 1 book, and the other half in book 5.

Yes, I always thought eventually he would warg into one of danys dragons, and attack the white walkers.. the show ran with donderian, rather flip to lady stone heart.. there is also another Aegon Targaryen

I was really hoping that Jon's Targaryen name was going to be Jaehaerys. Hopefully it will be in the books. I think they went with Aegon in the show b/c it's such a common recognized name for that family. But Jaehaerys had a lot of significance I thought Jon would emulate.

I was really hoping that Jon's Targaryen name was going to be Jaehaerys. Hopefully it will be in the books. I think they went with Aegon in the show b/c it's such a common recognized name for that family. But Jaehaerys had a lot of significance I thought Jon would emulate.
I’m the books that will prolly be his name.. the main point the prince that was promise would come from the Targaryen line.. Stannis, dany, Jon all match that line.. I think it would have made more sense if Jon pulled the blade out of dany and it was on fire! Then everyone would figure out he killed the biggest threat to the world.. Jon wasn’t there to kill the walk walkers he was their to kill dany, she was prepared to kill everything

Reactions: FSUSarah
One of the main points that I keep coming back to is

Bran- Im not Bran anymore, he doesnt exist...Im now the 3 eyed raven...

Bran- ok, Im back to Bran now. I'll be King.

And Tyrion as a prisoner that says he "should keep his mouth shut" then anoints a King and new govt...cmon man!

Grey Worm was a terrible character in the show. Awesome in the books. That last scene with him and prisoners of Tyrion and Jon, then just passively gives up with a nod like, ok...I just stand here like a puss. Wtf?

Reactions: ThorneStockton
One of the main points that I keep coming back to is

Bran- Im not Bran anymore, he doesnt exist...Im now the 3 eyed raven...

Bran- ok, Im back to Bran now. I'll be King.

And Tyrion as a prisoner that says he "should keep his mouth shut" then anoints a King and new govt...cmon man!

Grey Worm was a terrible character in the show. Awesome in the books. That last scene with him and prisoners of Tyrion and Jon, then just passively gives up with a nod like, ok...I just stand here like a puss. Wtf?
After Drogan flies away with Dani until Jon rides north of the wall with Ghost was the worst part of the series, and that is taking the whole sand-snakes into consideration.

Terrible writing, leaps of logic, lets cram it all in, as you described, and just f'n bs in general. Bran as a character was/is terrible hope someone assassinates him pronto, it just can't be pre-meditated or he will sniff it out and creep Podrick out telling him about it.

Who should be king?

a9taewse6qz21.png

Hey man go easy on Bran dude has seen some stuff.

Seriously though the show did Jon Snow dirty. He had by far the most interesting and complex story arc but the writers completely abandoned him the past couple seasons and missed out on some literary gold.

After Drogan flies away with Dani until Jon rides north of the wall with Ghost was the worst part of the series, and that is taking the whole sand-snakes into consideration.

Terrible writing, leaps of logic, lets cram it all in, as you described, and just f'n bs in general. Bran as a character was/is terrible hope someone assassinates him pronto, it just can't be pre-meditated or he will sniff it out and creep Podrick out telling him about it.

Agree. The show runners didn't learn from GRRM's error. Stay away from Dorne, don't go there. You will start to lose a grip on the story. Oberyn Martell in Kings Landing awesome. Going to Dorne bad.

I'm very interested in the prequel and seeing the magic that created the WW and the Wall. The magical/fantasy elements, outside the dragons, were handled poorly by the Double Ds

Intriguing. As much as I loved breaking bad we never got around to better call Saul. We watched the first episode and it didn’t grab us. Will have to give it a chance
You have to really, really work at appreciating BCS. You have to be not only a fan of BB, but almost a student of it, in order to catch all the references and put everything in context.

anyone else watching the The Last Watch doc on the last season ?

Interesting how they brought the NK, waif and Jaqen actors to Spain ( Kings Landing filming ) to throw people off from story

Alt Shift X had a much better ending for episode 3:

The Battle for Winterfell plays out the same as S8E03, Arya kills the Night King. But when NK falls – shock – the other walkers and wights continue attacking the living. All hope seems lost. But the dragonglass shard that created the NK drops to the ground…

Bran stops being afk and tells Jon the north remembers, the Starks have an ancient duty. Daenerys stabs Jon with the dragonglass, sacrificing her love. Jon rises as the new NK, and all the walkers and wights kneel to him. He marches them north to save the realm, his watch begins.

So Daenerys gets her Throne and Jon's child in her belly, but at terrible cost Jon gets his noble sacrifice, and his watch continues for the good of the realm The prophecy of Azor Ahai and Nissa Nissa is fulfilled in an unexpected way And Arya still gets her badass anime moment

Next episode, Cersei gets valonqar'd by Jaime, Cleganes Bowl, the Throne burns, Sansa is Queen in the North, Arya sails west, Sam writes A Song of Ice and Fire, The final two episodes is just GRRM announcing the release of The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring. Gurm pls.

Yeah, to me, that sounds far, far worse. Bordering on silly.

ADVERTISEMENT