ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Hurricane Ian Thread*****

BlIIlken2

HR All-American
Nov 23, 2021
5 stars, it’s official now. Probably worth having it’s own thread given there’re enough noles and Floridawegians here.

Moved the pool floaties inside today.

My wife (no pics) is supposed to fly out of TPA Friday morning, dammit.

I would rather endure a whole month of sub-freezing temps than a single day of hurricane dread.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Bloomberg reported Chevron and BP shuttered production at several offshore rigs ahead of the storm:

• Chevron is shutting in the Petronius and Blind Faith oil-production platforms southeast of New Orleans and is evacuating all personnel from the platforms.
  • BP has shut in production and is evacuating all workers from its Na Kika platform southeast of New Orleans. The company is also shutting production and evacuating personnel from its Thunder Horse platform.

Hurricane Ian, the fifth hurricane of the Atlantic season, underwent "rapid intensification" in the Caribbean Sea on Monday, with sustained winds of 85 mph, according to the National Hurricane Center.

Ian is a Category 1 storm about 240 miles southeast of Cuba's western tip. The storm's track and the threat of further intensification are so concerning that Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis declared a "state of emergency" for the entire state.

DeSantis activated 5,000 Florida National Guard members and requested 2,000 from surrounding states.

My wife (no pics) is supposed to fly out of TPA Friday morning, dammit.

I would rather endure a whole month of sub-freezing temps than a single day of hurricane dread.

"Sub-freezing" is one thing... buried under feet of snow is quite another.

Reactions: goldmom
nope-no.gif

Looks like I'll be in the market for a warm weather winter vacation house in the near future. I was going to let mother nature figure out if it would be on the west coast of florida or new orleans, and it looks like Tampa it is.

Looks like I'll be in the market for a warm weather winter vacation house in the near future. I was going to let mother nature figure out if it would be on the west coast of florida or new orleans, and it looks like Tampa it is.
I got a house ready for sale in New Smyrna for ya.

Alright Noles, how serious is this?

My folks live in Fort Myers and they’re being pretty nonchalant about the situation.

Alright Noles, how serious is this?

My folks live in Fort Myers and they’re being pretty nonchalant about the situation.

Fort Myers will probably be okay. It'll be nasty weather and some storm surge, but it'll be far enough away from the center to avoid the really destructive winds in the eyewall. Can certainly get wind damage, though. I would board up there if possible.

The Tampa are is a different story. They have a significant chance of getting absolutely hammered.

Reactions: MuscoHawk
FT MYERS FL 34 X 4( 4) 28(32) 32(64) 8(72) 3(75) 1(76)
FT MYERS FL 50 X X( X) 5( 5) 20(25) 9(34) 1(35) X(35)
FT MYERS FL 64 X X( X) 1( 1) 11(12) 4(16) 1(17) X(17)

What these data show are the percent chances of winds at 34, 50, or 64 knots on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, with cumulative chances in (parenthesis).

This means that there's only a 17 cumulative percentage chance of a sustained wind event exceeding hurricane force in Fort Myers.

Reactions: MuscoHawk
FT MYERS FL 34 69 29(98) 1(99) X(99) X(99) X(99) X(99)
FT MYERS FL 50 6 70(76) 8(84) 1(85) 1(86) X(86) X(86)
FT MYERS FL 64 1 40(41) 12(53) 1(54) 1(55) X(55) X(55)

As of October 10, the death toll in Florida due to
Hurricane Ian is now at least 127 deaths. Most of
them were due to drowning.

ADVERTISEMENT