ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Indiana (#115 RPI) at IOWA (#60 RPI) Games Thread (May 19, 20, 21). Thu & Fri on BTN Plus ($$); Sat on ESPNU ($$)*****

After trailing by 11 (13-2), Iowa wins by 14!!!

Indiana pitchers walked 12 & hit 5 Iowa batters.

...............Runs.....Hits......Errors.....Left on Base
Indiana......16...........19.............4...................9
IOWA........30...........23.............1..................13

• Love
Reactions: NewVicHawkeye
FTLAVqNWQBIpDyC

Slow pitch softball? This game may have saved our season! Question is...will either side have ANY pitching left outside of starters 2 and 3, bullpens have to be maxed, especially Indiana.
Davit going 4 1/3 innings saved Iowa in a couple of ways tonight, holding Indiana to allow Iowa to come back and saving the bullpen. Beyond Beutel, likely a lot of other guys will need to step up over 2 days if Iowa wants to sweep. Nedved throwing 6 or 7 innings on Friday would be great. A guy like Brecht may need to pitch 3-4 good innings if Iowa is going to sweep, which they really need to do.

Wasn’t able to really keep up on Indiana’s pitching but did they use their best bullpen arms? Id guess they used quite a bit of them until the 7th. Then just threw out the worst guy to get the night over with.

On the other hand, how did Iowa come out? Nedved being moved into the rotation couldn’t have happened at a better time.

Wasn’t able to really keep up on Indiana’s pitching but did they use their best bullpen arms? Id guess they used quite a bit of them until the 7th. Then just threw out the worst guy to get the night over with.

On the other hand, how did Iowa come out? Nedved being moved into the rotation couldn’t have happened at a better time.

First of all Indiana has terrible pitching, they rely on their offense to outscore the other team. But of their better pitchers they did burn Luke Hayden last night, he has the teams 3rd best ERA (5.47). They saved their best starting pitcher for tonight, Jack Perkins, who has an ERA of 4.75. They do have one other bullpen arm that leads the team in ERA, Ty Bothwell, who they didn't use. Indiana team ERA is 7.19, granted last night didn't help but their pitching was not very good coming into this series. They play in a lot of high scoring games.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
I was laughing watching the GameTracker last night, reminded me a rec slow pitch softball game scoring wise. I thought perhaps there was a glitch in the app or it was Iowa up 13-2! I can't imagine Kyle's thoughts and being there, perhaps that saved a regional providing we TCB today and tomorrow, bumped up to #63 RPI, keep it going Hawks!

Per Kyle, Sher out for rest of series (hamstring) and DeTaeye injured too. Will Brecht and/or Morgan throw this weekend?

I was laughing watching the GameTracker last night, reminded me a rec slow pitch softball game scoring wise. I thought perhaps there was a glitch in the app or it was Iowa up 13-2! I can't imagine Kyle's thoughts and being there, perhaps that saved a regional providing we TCB today and tomorrow, bumped up to #63 RPI, keep it going Hawks!

Per Kyle, Sher out for rest of series (hamstring) and DeTaeye injured too. Will Brecht and/or Morgan throw this weekend?
All depends how the starters perform. I would think that Brecht may have to get some outs over the next 2 days.

Coming into last night:

* Braydon Tucker, who started last night for IU, was tied for the team lead in saves (4).

* Ty Bothwell (3-2), who was not used last night, looks to be their best reliever with a 4.09 ERA.

* Luke Hayden (4-1) has the 2nd best ERA (5.47), but he threw 62 pitches last night.

* All other IU pitchers on their roster, including the pitchers they used last night, have an ERA of 6.23 or higher.

The pitchers used last night:

Indiana

Pitches....Innings.......Pitcher
64................3.0...........Tucker (starter).(6.23 ERA)
22......................1/3......Holderfield........(7.40 ERA)
18......................1/3......Stahl....................(11.16 ERA)
62..................1 2/3......Hayden................(5.47 ERA)
52...................1 1/3......Modugno...........(10.53 ERA)
42................1.0............Platt....................(12.79 ERA)
10.....................1/3......Jack Walker..........(6.63 ERA)

IOWA

Pitches....Innings.......Pitcher
52................2.0...........Mazur (starter)
53.................2.0..........Baumann
20....................2/3......Henderson
72..................4 1/3......Davitt

Down 11; win by 14.

Has Iowa ever had a 25 run swing in a baseball game? That's what you see in basketball games, not baseball games.

@KyleHuesmann , hopefully Iowa baseball can come up with an answer. I might like stats and records a little bit too much. ;)
I’m going to go out on a limb and say there has never been a game where they have trailed by double digits and then won by double digits.

Reactions: Franisdaman
It's Game Day!

Iowa is 15-5 over their last 20 games.

Iowa's RPI was #55 on April 24; it currently is #63.

#75 RPI: Entering Fri Apr 22 game at Rutgers
#63 RPI: Entering Sat Apr 23 game at RU
#55 RPI: Entering Sun Apr 24 game at RU

#76 RPI: Morning of Fri May 6
#64 RPI: Morning of Sun May 15 after beating MSU on Saturday
#66 RPI: Afternoon of Thursday, May 19
#63 RPI: Afternoon of Friday, May 20

B1G Standings (after May 19 games) :
1. Maryland (43-10, 17-5).........#7 RPI
2. Rutgers (40-13, 16-6).........#44 RPI

3. Illinois (29-20, 15-7)...........#77 RPI
3. Iowa (31-17, 15-7)
...............#63 RPI

5. Michigan (27-24, 11-11)
5. Penn State (25-25, 11-11)
7. Indiana (25-28, 10-12)
8. Purdue (29-18, 9-11)

Friday, May 20
vs Indiana
6:00 PM CT

RPI / SOS heading into the game:
IOWA......................(#63 RPI, #111 Strength of Schedule)
Indiana...................(#117 RPI, #74 Strength of Schedule)

Where: Iowa City, IA

Radio: Hawkeye Radio Network (Listen for FREE: The Varsity Network app; see original post for details)

Radio Stream Begins:
5:30 pm CT

Video Streaming: BTN Plus; Link to subscribe: https://www.bigtenplus.com/en-int/page/payment

Game Notes: https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2022/05/18/notes-iowa-hosts-indiana-to-close-out-regular-season/

Live Stats: https://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=394162

Pitching Matchup:

UI:
............RHP Dylan Nedved...(5-2, 3.90 ERA)
IU:............RHP Jack Perkins.......(3-2, 4.75 ERA)

FTN3NtEWAAIk12u

Tip of the cap to Dylan Nedved, tonight's winner. He improves to 6-2 with a 3.53 ERA.

His Line Tonight:
6.0 IP
0 Runs Allowed
1 Hit
6 Strike Outs
93 Pitches (58 Strikes)
4 Walks

What follows comes from Dargan Southard of the Des Moines Register.

Here is your B1G tiebreaker cheat sheet as IOWA, Rutgers & Illinois enter Saturday tied for 2nd place in the standings.

There are 8 possible outcomes Saturday. IOWA finishes 2nd in two of them, 3rd in two of them and 4th in four of them.

FTQMkXVWYAE9o2K

FTQMkXUWUAA3VcW

TIE BREAKER RULES:

FTQMkXWXoAA_9KK

ADVERTISEMENT