ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Indiana (#115 RPI) at IOWA (#60 RPI) Games Thread (May 19, 20, 21). Thu & Fri on BTN Plus ($$); Sat on ESPNU ($$)*****

What follows comes from Dargan Southard of the Des Moines Register.

Here is your B1G tiebreaker cheat sheet as IOWA, Rutgers & Illinois enter Saturday tied for 2nd place in the standings.

There are 8 possible outcomes Saturday. IOWA finishes 2nd in two of them, 3rd in two of them and 4th in four of them.

FTQMkXVWYAE9o2K

FTQMkXUWUAA3VcW

TIE BREAKER RULES:

FTQMkXWXoAA_9KK

Illinois should give us back one of those wins they didn't deserve so we can get 2nd place. In fact, Maryland should also lose today as well, and have it count as two losses, so we can win the Big Ten Championship. I'd be fine with that outcome.......

• Love
Reactions: Franisdaman
Illinois should give us back one of those wins they didn't deserve so we can get 2nd place. In fact, Maryland should also lose today as well, and have it count as two losses, so we can win the Big Ten Championship. I'd be fine with that outcome.......

I find it odd that Rutgers wins a 3 way tie, they lost 2 of 3 to Iowa and didn’t play Illinois.

Oh well, go HAWKEYES and Spartans!

Illinois has beaten Penn State, so Iowa cannot get the 2 seed in the B1G Tournament.

For Iowa to finish 3rd in the B1G, Rutgers has to lose today.

IE, one of 2 things need to happen:

(1) Iowa wins & RU loses or

(2) Iowa loses & RU loses

Otherwise, Iowa finishes 4th in the B1G.

The 3 seed plays at 9 am and the 4 seed at 9 pm on Wednesday.

Last edited:
Illinois has beaten Penn State, so Illinois is the 2 seed in the B1G Tournament.

For Iowa to finish 3rd in the B1G, one of 2 things need to happen:

(1) Iowa wins & RU loses or

(2) Iowa loses & RU loses

Otherwise, Iowa finishes 4th in the B1G.

The 3 seed plays at 9 am and the 4 seed at 9 pm on Wednesday.
Horse poop.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Much more than seeding rides on the outcome of tonight’s game.

An Iowa win very much matters.

Of course we want Iowa to win. I was just stating that if Rutgers loses to Michigan today, Iowa is the 3 seed in the B1G Tournament no matter if it wins or loses tonight.

It should go without saying but I guess it needs to be said. Obviously, sweeping IU tonight will (1) affect Iowa's RPI and keep them ahead of Illinois in the RPI race; (2) keep Iowa tied with Illinois in the final standings at 17-7; and (3) affect how the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee views this Iowa team.

I have said it before. I think the B1G gets 3 teams into the NCAA Tournament. Unfortunately, I think it will be Maryland, Rutgers and either Iowa or Illinois.

Last edited:
Of course we want Iowa to win. I was just stating that if Rutgers loses to Michigan today, Iowa is the 3 seed in the B1G Tournament no matter if it wins or loses tonight.

It should go without saying but I guess it needs to be said. Obviously, sweeping IU tonight will (1) affect Iowa's RPI and keep them ahead of Illinois in the RPI race; (2) keep Iowa tied with Illinois in the final standings at 17-7; and (3) affect how the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee views this Iowa team.

I have said it before. I think the B1G gets 3 teams into the NCAA Tournament. Unfortunately, I think it will be Maryland, Rutgers and either Iowa or Illinois.
Well then tell them to pick Iowa.....

It is Senior Saturday and Iowa is lookin' for a sweep!

An Iowa win today will be huge because it will keep Iowa tied with Illinois in the B1G Standings and it will keep Iowa ahead of the Illini in RPI.

Illinois has already won today so the 2 seed in the B1G Tournament is not an option. If Rutgers loses today to Michigan then Iowa will clinch the 3 seed in the B1G Tournament.

Iowa is 16-5 over their last 21 games.

Iowa's RPI was 55 on April 24; it was 60 today. Illinois' was 68 today.

#75 RPI: Entering Fri Apr 22 game at Rutgers
#63 RPI: Entering Sat Apr 23 game at RU
#55 RPI: Entering Sun Apr 24 game at RU
#76 RPI: Morning of Fri May 6
#66 RPI: Afternoon of Thursday, May 19
#63 RPI: Afternoon of Friday, May 20
#60 RPI: Afternoon of Saturday, May 21

B1G Standings (after May 20 games) :
1. Maryland (44-10, 18-5).........#4 RPI
2. Rutgers (40-14, 16-7).........#45 RPI

2. Illinois (30-20, 16-7)...........#68 RPI
2. Iowa (32-17, 16-7)
...............#60 RPI

5. Michigan (28-24, 12-11)
6. Penn State (25-26, 11-12)
7. Indiana (25-29, 10-13)
8. Purdue (29-19, 9-12)

Saturday, May 21
vs Indiana
8:00 PM CT

RPI / SOS heading into the game:
IOWA......................(#60 RPI, #106 Strength of Schedule)
Indiana.....................(#115 RPI, #65 Strength of Schedule)

Where: Iowa City, IA

Radio: Hawkeye Radio Network (Listen for FREE: The Varsity Network app; see original post for details)

Radio Stream Begins:
7:30 pm CT

Video Streaming: ESPNU

Game Notes: https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2022/05/18/notes-iowa-hosts-indiana-to-close-out-regular-season/

Live Stats: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=394163

Pitching Matchup:

UI:
.......RHP Ty Langenberg (5-2, 3.96 ERA)
IU:.......TBA

FTTAv3SXsAIDZaS

It is official. Iowa will be the 4 seed in the B1G Tournament. They will play at 9 pm on Wednesday.

Today's Game Updates:

Purdue/Maryland was canceled
Illinois beat Penn State
Rutgers beat Michigan
Indiana at Iowa: ESPNU, at 8 pm tonight

An Iowa win tonight would be huge because it will:

(1)
keep Iowa tied for 2nd with Illinois and Rutgers at 17-7;

(2) prevent Iowa from falling into 4th place in the B1G Standings, all by themselves; and

(3) continue to keep Iowa ahead of Illinois in the RPI race.

And with that, here are the...

Current B1G Standings & Current RPI Rankings:
1. Maryland (44-10, 18-5).........#3 RPI
2. Rutgers (41-14, 17-7)..........#41 RPI

2. Illinois (31-20, 17-7).............#67 RPI
4. Iowa (32-17, 16-7)
...............#60 RPI

5. Michigan (28-25, 12-12)
6. Penn State (25-27, 11-13)
7. Indiana (25-29, 10-13)
8. Purdue (29-19, 9-12)

Just win the next 2, Indiana and Michigan, and we’re probably in good shape. Losing to Maryland isn’t a problem (it’s basically a free roll). If we were to lose to Illinois in the BTT it might be more decisive.

They keep saying if Iowa wins they get the 3 seed. Is that right???

What follows came from Dargan Southard of the Des Moines Register last night; Iowa baseball retweeted this information, so they apparently agreed with it.

According to Dargan, here was our B1G tiebreaker cheat sheet as IOWA, Rutgers & Illinois entered today tied for 2nd place in the standings.

Rutgers and Illinois have already won, of course. So, an Iowa win still means Iowa is the 4 seed with Illinois the 3 and Rutgers the 2.

FTQMkXUWUAA3VcW

Last edited:
Hawks win!

Hawks SWEEP!

Iowa heads to Omaha as the No. 3 seed!

...............Runs.....Hits......Errors.....Left on Base
Indiana......1............8..............2...................12
IOWA........2............3..............0....................7

ADVERTISEMENT