ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official IOWA (#69 RPI) at Nebraska (#179 RPI) Games Thread (April 29, 30 & May 1). All 3 Games on BTN Plus ($$)*****

Might be your internet, mine looks perfect
That’s odd. I’m streaming the Pirates/Padres (perfect HD) on one TV in my basement and Hawkeyes/Huskers on the other. Never had reception issues with two streams at once. I have Metronet fiber optic.
Going to shut down one and see if that works.

Edit: Nope. Still shitty reception.
Edit 2: Unplug Firestick. Does the trick.

Last edited:
Nedved.
Interesting.
I wonder if Langenberg’s ankle is hurting after the B5 hard grounder.

Nebraska hasn't committed an error this weekend of course after committing their fair share during the year.

I’m not sure what I detest more:
Iowa hitters looking at strike 3 or Iowa pitchers who can’t find the strike zone.

Holy hell. What a fielding play by Seegers on the attempted steal.

Hat is going inside out and backwards … Iowa needs 2,3,4 to start a rally.

Reactions: DTP2
Holy hell. What a fielding play by Seegers on the attempted steal.

Hat is going inside out and backwards … Iowa needs 2,3,4 to start a rally.
Iowa's offense has been bad this weekend. Three solo home runs and a two run home run. Besides that they really haven't put any pressure on Nebraska which is disappointing.

Reactions: DTP2
Iowa's offense has been bad this weekend. Three solo home runs and a two run home run. Besides that they really haven't put any pressure on Nebraska which is disappointing.

its been awful. Really need for someone to wake up the bats.

Big win. Not pretty but I’ll take it.
This weekend:
Iowa loses a game in standing to Rutgers.
Iowa stays even with Maryland.
Iowa picks up a game on Illinois.
Iowa will gain at least one game - and possibly two - on Michigan.

Seriously. What the f was Heller thinking by not having Williams tagging up?
If this is about the play where the 2B fell down in RF then I have an explanation. Was talking about this with my friend.

The RF is supposed to catch that 10 times out of 10. If he does, there is no shot you send the runner because it was very shallow RF. Because it in short RF and there was the possibility for it to drop with the 2B and RF converging, you have them go half way, so you can score a run. The 2B should have never caught that ball.

If this is about the play where the 2B fell down in RF then I have an explanation. Was talking about this with my friend.

The RF is supposed to catch that 10 times out of 10. If he does, there is no shot you send the runner because it was very shallow RF. Because it in short RF and there was the possibility for it to drop with the 2B and RF converging, you have them go half way, so you can score a run. The 2B should have never caught that ball.

Yes that is true but there is no excuse for not tagging up on that play, if the ball drops you are going to score anyway. It's highly unlikely the RF could have picked up the ball off the ground and fired a perfect throw to the catcher to force the runner at 3rd. If the ball does drop the throw is probably going to 2nd base.

The play was in front of all of them, so if you are tagged up you are aggressively going down the line and the 3rd base coach should have been yelling at him to go. Even if the right fielder does catch the ball I'm trying to draw a throw as you never know.

It all worked out, Hawkeyes win, but there will come a time that not taking advantage of these scoring opportunities will cost you a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: dozee

1. Should the RFer have called off the second baseman? Yes, yes and yes. And, again, yes. Every day of the week. No disagreement at all.

2. If the RFer catches it, does Williams score via tagging up? No, no and no. It would have been foolhardy to send Williams via tagging up.

3. Our disagreement lies with the notion that Williams getting thrown out at home if the ball drops between the RFer and the 2Bman. Even though the ball was in shallow RF, if that ball hits the ground, there is about zero chance that the RFer will be able to pick it up and throw Williams out at home. The RFer would have to field it cleanly and he would have zero momentum towards home plate. He’d either have to throw flat-footed or take a couple steps to get some heat on the ball. Either way, Williams scores.

4. Moreover, even if he didn’t start tagging up, you have to read the situation. The RFer was hesitating. The 2Bman looked “dialed in.” All of the 2Bman’s momentum was going towards RF. Williams would have scored even if the 2Bman didn’t fall down. Having to stop momentum, spin around 180 degrees and get anything on a throw to home plate is extremely unlikely. Williams has to get back to the bag and be ready to take off if (a) the ball drops or (b) as soon as it hits the 2Bman’s glove.

I was in my basement yelling for him to tag up as the ball was in the air. The Nebbie TV guys were awful and I kept waiting for them to update the score. Couldn’t believe that Williams didn’t tag up. I just don’t see anything gained by going half way or even 1/4 of the way.

In any event, I’m just happy that Nebraska can add two more “close” losses to its 2022 resume. F those guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: ssckelley
Yes that is true but there is no excuse for not tagging up on that play, if the ball drops you are going to score anyway. The play was in front of all of them, so if you are tagged up you are aggressively going down the line and the 3rd base coach should have been yelling at him to go. Even if the right fielder does catch the ball I'm trying to draw a throw as you never know.

It all worked out, Hawkeyes win, but there will come a time that not taking advantage of these scoring opportunities will cost you a game.

Couldn’t.
Agree.
More.

Yes that is true but there is no excuse for not tagging up on that play, if the ball drops you are going to score anyway. The play was in front of all of them, so if you are tagged up you are aggressively going down the line and the 3rd base coach should have been yelling at him to go. Even if the right fielder does catch the ball I'm trying to draw a throw as you never know.

Exactly. As a runner on third, you tag anyway and take 2-3 hard steps off the bag when they catch it, then when you or coach see the second baseman is catching it running away from the infield or when he fell down, or if he drops it, you score in every circumstance. Plus it was even fairly deep---- Very poor execution of base running for college baseball. Coach has to ensure this gets done right.

I did add to my comment, I need to add if the ball does drop it's highly unlikely that the RF picks the ball up off the ground and fires a perfect strike to the catcher to force the runner at 3rd base. If the ball drops the throw is probably going to 2nd base as that's a shorter throw and the runner at 1st base is stuck in no mans land.

Reactions: AuroraHawk
I did add to my comment, I need to add if the ball does drop it's highly unlikely that the RF picks the ball up off the ground and fires a perfect strike to the catcher to force the runner at 3rd base. If the ball drops the throw is probably going to 2nd base as that's a shorter throw and the runner at 1st base is stuck in no mans land.
It’s one thing if the RFer is charging on a liner that may or may not be caught but, if not caught, the RFer can field it like a ground ball with his momentum coming towards home plate. If that ball drops between two fielders on a fly ball, the ball is going blot be pretty “dead” on landing, the RFer and 2Bman will be scrambling to find it and pick it up and then they have to set themselves to make a strong throw.

Bad defensive execution by Nebraska which was bailed by bad baserunning decision by Iowa.

Reactions: ssckelley
ADVERTISEMENT