ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official IOWA at the B1G Tournament Games Thread*****

Path to the NCAA Tournament

- Beat Purdue
- Beat PSU or Rutgers
- Grind one out against Maryland

If you do that you would be 3-1 on the week and sit about 54-56 in the RPI and 36-18 overall. Lose to Maryland Sunday and you lose nothing in the RPI. Hit selection Monday at 36-19 and about 54-56 in the RPI.

- Beat Purdue
- Beat PSU or Rutgers

If you do that you would be 3-1 on the week and sit about 54-56 in the RPI and 36-18 overall. Lose to Maryland Sunday and you lose nothing in the RPI. Hit selection Monday at 36-19 and about 54-56 in the RPI.
This. This. And this.

- Beat Purdue
- Beat PSU or Rutgers

So, win a minimum of 2 more games, go 2-2 in the BTT and cross your fingers?

You will be right around 60 in the RPI if you don't get one vs Maryland. You would have to hope the committee really wants three Big Ten teams in.
I don’t think 2-2 cuts it with what is going on in the other tournaments. Some teams which were in the wrong side of the bubble have had a good run of games.

Even if Iowa:
Beats Purdue
Beats Rutgers (if PSU pulls off upset)
Loses to Maryland

I don’t think it gets them in.

I’m curious, has a team ever won the tournament after losing the first game, or even the 2nd game? Winning 5 games in 3 days (or 4 if played normal schedule) is damn near impossible. Iowa would have to win double header on Saturday and Sunday. That’s 6 total games, no college team has that kind of pitching depth.

I don’t think 2-2 cuts it with what is going on in the other tournaments. Some teams which were in the wrong side of the bubble have had a good run of games.

Even if Iowa:
Beats Purdue
Beats Rutgers (if PSU pulls off upset)
Loses to Maryland

I don’t think it gets them in.

In that scenario I’m going to be grumbling if Rutgers gets a bid over Iowa after Iowa beat them 3 out of 4 games. I think Iowa has a better resume than Rutgers. So I think there’s still a chance.

But I doubt PSU can pull off another miracle today, they don’t have the pitching depth and burned their top 2 pitchers yesterday. So that would mean Iowa faces PSU again and then I’d agree they need to win Saturday night to get in. Beating PSU does nothing for the resume.

Last edited:
Weather is great and quite frankly I just want Iowa to win this morning. Then we can discuss scenarios.

I’m curious, has a team ever won the tournament after losing the first game, or even the 2nd game? Winning 5 games in 3 days (or 4 if played normal schedule) is damn near impossible. Iowa would have to win double header on Saturday and Sunday. That’s 6 total games, no college team has that kind of pitching depth.
Ohio State lost game two to Iowa in 2016. Then won four in a row including beating MSU twice then Iowa in the title game.

Danan just mentioned a team hasn't reached the championship game since Minnesota in 2009 (they lost) after losing the first game.

Ohio State lost game two to Iowa in 2016. Then won four in a row including beating MSU twice then Iowa in the title game.
Thanks, and in looking at the history of that tournament tOSU had to win 3 times on Saturday since their game against Michigan got postponed due to weather.

ADVERTISEMENT