ADVERTISEMENT

*Official Iowa Field Hockey Thread 2022*

The home schedule isn’t too exciting this year. Rutgers and maybe Maryland are the only ones that move the needle.

The home schedule isn’t too exciting this year. Rutgers and maybe Maryland are the only ones that move the needle.
Massachusetts was decent last year. Otherwise, yes it’s a pretty easy home draw, but they got all the good ones at home last year.

Think USC and UCLA may start field hockey teams after joining the Big Ten? California has high school field hockey, and both Cal and Stanford have some history. I was surprised that USC and UCLA only have club teams.

Think USC and UCLA may start field hockey teams after joining the Big Ten? California has high school field hockey, and both Cal and Stanford have some history. I was surprised that USC and UCLA only have club teams.
They might. Hard to know. Iowa is currently the 4th most western field hockey school behind California, Stanford and UC Davis.

• Wow
Reactions: BDJHawk
-Iowa Field Hockey Streaming Schedule-

Aug 28- vs North Carolina - ACCN
Sep 2- vs Boston - BTN+
Sep 4- vs St Louis - BTN+
Sep 9- vs Providence - BTN+
Sep 11- vs UMass - BTN+
Sep 16- vs Indiana - BTN+
Sep 23- at Northwestern - Big Ten Network
Sep 30- vs Maryland - BTN+
Oct 2- vs Rutgers - BTN+
Oct 7- at Penn State - BTN+
Oct 14- at Ohio State - BTN+
Oct 16- at Michigan - Big Ten Network
Oct 28- vs Michigan State- BTN+
Nov 3- BTT Quarterfinals - BTN+
Nov 4- BTT Semifinals - Big Ten Network
Nov 6- BTT Final - Big Ten Network

Opener vs Wake Forest currently does not have a listing, but I am guessing ACCN+ right now.

at Ball State, vs James Madison (State College, PA) and vs Michigan (Evanston, IL) currently do not have listings either.

So not expected to make it to Final Four this year?

I think Iowa missed a golden opportunity to win it all last year. Of course all No. 1 seeds were upset at home, so Iowa was not an exception. They were all Big Ten teams too.

Michigan was beaten 5:1 by North Carolina? I didn't watch that game, but is Michigan down this year? Tar Heels back to former glory? Home court advantage for UNC? Or just a freak result?

This Iowa team seems to be very judicious in attempting shots. I read they were outshot 16 - 3 by Northwestern. In the overtime loss to North Carolina, Iowa was outshot 22 - 2, yet in that game Iowa took a 2:0 lead, just like this Northwestern game.

I see Iowa just lost another game in OT, at Penn State this time. All three losses so far this season have been in overtime to a top 5 team. It feels to me this team is a bit challenged on offense. They don't produce a lot of shots.

I see Iowa just lost another game in OT, at Penn State this time. All three losses so far this season have been in overtime to a top 5 team. It feels to me this team is a bit challenged on offense. They don't produce a lot of shots.
Iowa tanking at the wrong time.

Perhaps they really have been watching the football team's offense for pointers..........

Highly unfortunate that we can't even produce one decent Fall sports team this year.

But it is Iowa, and we're not allowed to keep nice things. We always have to give them back eventually.

Iowa tanking at the wrong time.

Perhaps they really have been watching the football team's offense for pointers..........

Highly unfortunate that we can't even produce one decent Fall sports team this year.

But it is Iowa, and we're not allowed to keep nice things. We always have to give them back eventually.
Is this a recruiting issue? Do we not have enough talent to substitute, so the starters get a breather?Also, why can’t we generate offense?

Is this a recruiting issue? Do we not have enough talent to substitute, so the starters get a breather?Also, why can’t we generate offense?
From my observation, it’s a couple of things. Not having Ciara Smith since the Indiana game and Olivia Frazier since Maryland is not helping. Forcing them to go further down the bench.

Also early in the year they were very good at converting off just a couple of chances. That luck has run out as of late.

The other thing is for some reason the passing/decision making with the ball has sharply dropped off over the last 6 games.

Finally, the one “drawback” of being a very successful program is that most of these players really haven’t had to deal with a rough stretch like this in college field hockey, which could be an issue on its own.

From my observation, it’s a couple of things. Not having Ciara Smith since the Indiana game and Olivia Frazier since Maryland is not helping. Forcing them to go further down the bench.

Also early in the year they were very good at converting off just a couple of chances. That luck has run out as of late.

The other thing is for some reason the passing/decision making with the ball has sharply dropped off over the last 6 games.

Finally, the one “drawback” of being a very successful program is that most of these players really haven’t had to deal with a rough stretch like this in college field hockey, which could be an issue on its own.
Thanks for your response.

Stopped by practice today to talk to Coach Cellucci and a couple players. Energy levels aren’t down. Laughing, joking and positivity.

Stopped by practice today to talk to Coach Cellucci and a couple players. Energy levels aren’t down. Laughing, joking and positivity.
Talk about the bottom falling out….they went straight downhill. Seems like their first loss did them in for the rest of the year. Last year evidently was their year and they blew it!

Grace McGuire didn't play today, but they still would have had to find a way to get a few shots even if she had.

Still results to come through over the weekend with conference tournaments. I think Iowa will sneak in to the NCAA Tournament.

Games to keep an eye on..
St Joseph’s vs UMass
- SJU loss would them right with Iowa/LVille for the last couple at-large spots

Big East Tournament
Old Dominion vs Temple
Connecticut vs Liberty
- One of the 4 will get the autobid, but ODU and UConn will be in the conversation if they don’t win it.

Rutgers just can’t win the Big Ten Tournament. They face Northwestern at 5pm in the First Round.

Louisville and Iowa are IMO the last two teams in at the moment.

ADVERTISEMENT