ADVERTISEMENT

****Official Iowa Primary Election Night****

StormHawk42

HR Legend
Nov 3, 2009
Couple things to watch I suppose.

- Franken vs Abby is the main one
- Threeway R race for D3 vs Axne
- Whether Carlin breaks 30% vs Grassley (if he does, that might be a warning signal)
- Various local state house and senate races where Kim is endorsing challengers to get her education agenda through. My district, House 46 (Urbandale/Grimes) has 5 R candidates running

Last edited:
Got a bad feeling about Axne facing Nunn in November. Might be a complete red takeover for Iowa.

What was the deal with Abby F? I saw little to no adverts for her and to be honest Franken ran some horrible ads right out of the gate. She should have been closer. Did the lawsuit thing ruin it?

What was the deal with Abby F? I saw little to no adverts for her and to be honest Franken ran some horrible ads right out of the gate. She should have been closer. Did the lawsuit thing ruin it?
Probably. I wonder if she was running out of money. I didn’t see many ads in DSM. Didn’t have much press coverage. Just didn’t seem prepared for the bright lights of this campaign for whatever reason.

Probably. I wonder if she was running out of money. I didn’t see many ads in DSM. Didn’t have much press coverage. Just didn’t seem prepared for the bright lights of this campaign for whatever reason.
In the IC area which is the Waterloo/CR media market I thought Franken and Finkenhauer were running about even as far as ads.

The signature thing indicated that she probably had organizational issues, for whatever reason I thought she was the institutional choice but is there any kind of institutional Democratic machine left in Iowa that can deliver a statewide election, even in a primary?

I voted Franken purely out of thinking he's got the best chance against Grassley, I'm just surprised that so many others must have been thinking the same thing, I hope if he wins in November he doesn't turn out to be a Manchin/Sinema.

In the IC area which is the Waterloo/CR media market I thought Franken and Finkenhauer were running about even as far as ads.

The signature thing indicated that she probably had organizational issues, for whatever reason I thought she was the institutional choice but is there any kind of institutional Democratic machine left in Iowa that can deliver a statewide election, even in a primary?

I voted Franken purely out of thinking he's got the best chance against Grassley, I'm just surprised that so many others must have been thinking the same thing, I hope if he wins in November he doesn't turn out to be a Manchin/Sinema.
I agree she was probably the institutional choice but unlike when Greenfield was nominated, she was essentially hand picked and funded by the DNC. Didn’t seem to be the case this time around. DNC probably sees this race as a lost cause (and it probably is to be fair).

I agree she was probably the institutional choice but unlike when Greenfield was nominated, she was essentially hand picked and funded by the DNC. Didn’t seem to be the case this time around. DNC probably sees this race as a lost cause (and it probably is to be fair).
Franken has a punchers chance

Reactions: mphawk and lucas80
How long before Chuck starts running ads about Franken being a Commie that hates America?

Reactions: TC Nole OX
Franken has a punchers chance
Oh I agree but he’ll likely be undone by the economic forces that are going to rip the Dems to shreds. I’d feel more optimistic if he wasn’t also going to be running against $5 gas.

Id put his odds at like 10-15%.

Yeah, I was expecting a replay of Greenfield/Franken, I voted for Franken in that one as well. I'm wondering if memories of the insipid Greenfield general election campaign hurt Finkenhauer this time.

Dem primary voters shook things up. Kudos to us! We're at least trying something different! Franken even won by a wide margin in Johnson County.

Reactions: Chishawk1425
Oh I agree but he’ll likely be undone by the economic forces that are going to rip the Dems to shreds.

Id put his odds at like 10-15%.
It would be nice if Dems would talk about all the good in the current economy and make some attempt to change the narrative instead of echoing Republican propaganda.

Again, it's the best jobs economy in over 50 years, We've actually hit what was considered an unobtainable goal/dream, a full employment economy. Most people are individually doing well, but they're getting pounded daily with a message that everything is horrible.

Reactions: littlez
On another note, I see Eddie Mauro lost again, this time for a state house seat. He’s ran for so many I’ve offices I’ve lost track but can’t recall him winning anything.

On another note, I see Eddie Mauro lost again, this time for a state house seat. He’s ran for so many I’ve offices I’ve lost track but can’t recall him winning anything.
If you lived anywhere on the south side of DSM between SW 9th street and SE 14th street, you would think Eddie Mauro was the governor

I can't believe Grassley is doing this again. Just retire for God's sake.

Interesting, apparently Franken did seriously outspend Abby on TV.

Hell Grassley couldn’t even muster 75% against a primary opponent nobody’s even heard of. Time to put that old boy out to pasture.

Franken has a legitimate chance to unseat the old codger IMO because he’s the first legitimate candidate the democrats have supported at the US senate level in what seems like a lifetime. I really like the guy and he will take the fight to Grassley. There aren’t enough flags in the world for Chuck to cower behind.

Axne may lose her seat but Liz Mathis will be a serious threat to unseat Hinson IMO.

Got a bad feeling about Axne facing Nunn in November. Might be a complete red takeover for Iowa.
It’s going to be a tough one for sure. Dems are really gonna have to turn out big in Polk and Dallas for her to win. By election Dan, Nunn will probably have won the Congressional Medal of Honor for his rescue work of thousands of Afghani citizens!

It would be nice if Dems would talk about all the good in the current economy and make some attempt to change the narrative instead of echoing Republican propaganda.

Again, it's the best jobs economy in over 50 years, We've actually hit what was considered an unobtainable goal/dream, a full employment economy. Most people are individually doing well, but they're getting pounded daily with a message that everything is horrible.
It's because everything around them costs so damn much. Any bonus or pay raise they got is gone. That's all people see or care about. Until that changes it won't go away.

Couple things to watch I suppose.

- Franken vs Abby is the main one
- Threeway R race for D3 vs Axne
- Whether Carlin breaks 30% vs Grassley (if he does, that might be a warning signal)
- Various local state house and senate races where Kim is endorsing challengers to get her education agenda through. My district, House 46 (Urbandale/Grimes) has 5 R candidates running
Hell Grassley couldn’t even muster 75% against a primary opponent nobody’s even heard of. Time to put that old boy out to pasture.

Franken has a legitimate chance to unseat the old codger IMO because he’s the first legitimate candidate the democrats have supported at the US senate level in what seems like a lifetime. I really like the guy and he will take the fight to Grassley. There aren’t enough flags in the world for Chuck to cower behind.

Axne may lose her seat but Liz Mathis will be a serious threat to unseat Hinson IMO.
Its fun looking at the lefties in this thread really talk themselves into Franken. The OP was wondering if Carlin could get to 30%, he doesn't then another leftist jumps in and thinks Grassley did poor last night. We all should be happy Carlin didn't have more support as he was a big proponent of the Big Steal.

Instead of being heavily backed by the DNC Abby was on her own this time,.. This is what she is.

Instead of being heavily backed by the DNC Abby was on her own this time,.. This is what she is.
I think she is earnest, but way too young and inexperienced to be a serious candidate for Senator. I think she got way out in front of her skis here, running for the US Senate.

She should fall back and develop some experience/track record if she is serious about holding a high national office. That said...looking across the country, there are plenty of other folks holding seats in Congress with less chops than her.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT