ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Iowa State @ IOWA Game Thread*****

THE__HAMMER

Scout Team
Aug 27, 2018
Hawkeye Fans,

First off let me apologize for not starting this thread last night to keep with tradition and superstition. If the hawks lose this week I will take the fall.

Pre-game analysis:

I see this being a tight game with the hawkeyes run game being the difference. I think KF will try to establish a run game while mixing in short passes and a little play-action over the top to Easley. If the hawks can do this they will control the clock which they should have no problem doing against a weak Iowa State defensive line. Remember, the line wins football games. I don't see the D taking too many chances and will lean heavily on a bend but don't break philosophy. Should be your typical knock down drag out B1G affair.

Would appreciate @LuteHawk to weigh in with his pre-game analysis.

Cyclones 12
Hawkeyes 20

The Football Forum official game thread is started on Wednesday night? Seem a bit early, but if that is tradition for this forum, so be it. Hawks by 10.

Run the ball, run some more and then run it even more. Keep ISU offense off the field, we win by 14 or more.

Reactions: THE__HAMMER
The Football Forum official game thread is started on Wednesday night? Seem a bit early, but if that is tradition for this forum, so be it. Hawks by 10.
Yo K.Hawk...Are you going to Game?My old bones say it could be EPIC.Go Tough Hawks.Always Tough..

I tried to follow the game thread last week but there are so many posters that pee their pants at the first fourth and punt I was embarrassed. Color me I don't forget who panics and posts stupid shiit.
I stopped following game threads a long, long time ago. Unless it has changed in recent years (and, based on your comment, it appears that it hasn't), game threads are mostly a toxic cocktail of high anxiety and hysteria with intermittent outbursts of misdirected outrage and episodes of premature despair sprinkled throughout.

You also notice that game day threads are a virtual paradise for excitable Ferentz detractors. Just about any play call or perceived mistake is an opportunity to unload and rehash long-standing grievances.

There are, of course, occasional insights and other intelligent observations shared but they are much fewer, quickly overwhelmed by the muck. I concede that they are entertaining but I decided it was mostly a waste of time.

Tim Brando‏Verified account@TimBrando

Just landed in lovely Cedar Rapids bound for Iowa City. Should be fun. The last time I was here Roy Marble was playing for Dr. Tom Davis in Hoops. I’ve never been to Kinnick. I’ve known Coach Ferentz forever, but never called a ⁦@HawkeyeFootball⁩ game. Can’t wait.

1f4fa.png
1f3a4.png
1f3c8.png

How does everyone handle sleeping night before the game? I always just HAMMER several beers to put me out. Nerves are just too high to go to bed sober.

Tom K. is smiling all the way to the bank with all the comments on this board. Mostly stupid comments but it pays his bills...:D

Hawkeye Fans,

Pre-game analysis:

I see this being a tight game with the hawkeyes run game being the difference. I think KF will try to establish a run game while mixing in short passes and a little play-action over the top to Easley. If the hawks can do this they will control the clock which they should have no problem doing against a weak Iowa State defensive line. Remember, the line wins football games.

Cyclones 12
Hawkeyes 20

I actually think your analysis is not far off, with the exception that while the bold text has been true most years, I actually believe ISU has a strong defensive line this year and with quality depth which is a first in a long time. I don't think that stops Iowa from using the two tight-end sets and trying to pound the ball, but I don't expect this to be a year where the ISU defensive line is overwhelmed by the Iowa offensive line or completely worn out half way through the second half. We shall see. I do believe the disparity between the ISU offensive line and Iowa defensive line is larger in Iowa's favor. Besides turnovers, I believe the story of the game will be told if the ISU Oline can give Kempt any time to throw and if they have even modest success in the run game. No, then Iowa wins. Yes, then ISU has a shot.

Your Honorary Captain.

He was #84 in the video clips. Note in the Illini game clip, the Illini player catches the TD, and the Iowa guy hits him way late and there is no flag. Today? There would have been a flag.

Last edited:
Hawks 38 isu 14

Hawks score 3 running tds 2 passing tds and a field goal
Isu td second qrt and one in mop up. book it

Hawks take the ball first, line up in a 2TE set and run a flea flicker to Fant running right down the seam past the safeties who were leaning forward toward the LOS.

Even if it is incomplete, I think it softens up that defense for the running game.

Hawks win!

Iowa State averaged 35.0 points per game their first 7 games last season
and averaged 22.5 points per game their last 6 games

you could spin that a couple ways... but I don't think Iowa State is the offensive juggernaut some people make them out to be

ADVERTISEMENT