ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Michigan (#37 NET) at IOWA (#19 NET) Game Thread. 6 PM CT, ESPN*****

Never rely on the refs. They're almost never going to make that call there. "Super" senior should understand that, but no. Very, very stupid.
Yep, terrible decision.

He was already past the defender.

You don't do that shit unless they're infront of you and their arm is across your body.

People making excuses for that awful decision don't know what they're talking about.

You do not try that when you are past the defender.

For as good as keegan is and he obviously still had a solid game. He somewhat cost us this one, bout 14min mark of 2nd half he went missed dunk 2 missed ft’s and missed dunk…meanwhile mich made a 3 and scored the other possession. 11 point swing. Couldn’t quite recover from it
Meh he had a bad stretch but was cramping. We lost the game due to bad guard play, bad defense, and not getting out in transition more.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Disagree. Most college coaches go for the quick two and it never works. The two is wide open for a reason, it's a losing strategy. You never see a quick two if you watch the NBA.
Sure they do. It works less in the NBA because players are generally better free throw shooter. That Jones guy split two free throws twice. It could’ve been a tie game

For as good as keegan is and he obviously still had a solid game. He somewhat cost us this one, bout 14min mark of 2nd half he went missed dunk 2 missed ft’s and missed dunk…meanwhile mich made a 3 and scored the other possession. 11 point swing. Couldn’t quite recover from it
He had atleast 4 turnovers to boot

You draw up a play for an open shot. It was wide open and the right man was shooting it. We lost the game because we played like crap on defense, especially in the 2nd half.
Where did I suggest that that play was the reason we lost? All I said was that I didn’t like the play

Meh he had a bad stretch but was cramping. We lost the game due to bad guard play, bad defense, and not getting out in transition more.
Bad stretch where we went from being tied to down 10 in a matter of a minute. That was the game. But yeah, obviously plenty of other factors that played into us losing. I HATE the fact we play without urgency until we’re losing at the end. Should be playing that way all the time, as that is our strength

Keegan free throws were killers. Such a standard Fran team performance when they have a little momentum and get the big stage. Games like this are why Carver isn't more consistently like tonight, great job by the fans. Team just choked
They couldn’t execute the basics numerous times when it mattered most and had the chance to take some control, and they don’t seem to match the effort and focus against the better teams for an entire game and subsequently lose. I’m not too optimistic about the upcoming games against teams with a pulse.

Reactions: Nohawknamesleft
First four minutes and 2.5 of last four minutes. If that was all that was needed to call it a game, Iowa won.

Unfortunately for them, the middle 32 minutes as well as the last 1 also count, so Iowa lost.

Reactions: Buffalo43
Sure they do. It works less in the NBA because players are generally better free throw shooter. That Jones guy split two free throws twice. It could’ve been a tie game
Agree on the free throw shooting. It's still banking on a missed free throw and then another bucket on offense. Much more difficult to get that second bucket against a set defense that isn't giving up the lane.

I think we need to face up to the fact that we cannot compete with top tier big ten this year but if km stays another year we should be top tier big
Unless there is huge improvement with the post players and guard play, this team will be about the same weather or not Keegan comes back.

When you fall one win short of what the committee needs to put you in, it does.
Have to win at home.

But why is it THIS game that is deemed “the one”? Why not the earlier losses to Illinois? Purdue? Or the one coming to Wisconsin? Or road at Iowa State?

- Missed FTs.
- Missed dunks.
- Doubling Dickinson, allowing kick outs for open 3s or re-entry passes for 2 points and/or a foul drawn.
- Giving up a ton of paint points, mostly on dribble drives.

Just so much slop and lack of effort in this game. So disappointing, yet so Iowa.

JoBo should have kept on going unless he heard a whistle. That much is true.
Agreed, he looks like he had a shot at a tough but decent look. A couple boys in front of him and about 2.5 seconds. 2 more dribbles and a long three.

Reactions: BBHawk
Poor shooting stands out in the box score. Not good from anywhere on the floor. 22% from 3, 44% from 2, 65% from the line.
Although they were sloppier with the ball than they have been, still only 11 TOs which is not that bad. Only -3 on the boards.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
At least now I don't have to worry about picking Iowa to lose when making out my NCAA brackets. Not going to happen this year but then most on here expected Iowa to miss the tournament anyway.
Fran's coaching just cemented your preseason predictions. You can always count on Fran losing games they should win. Happens every year....

At least now I don't have to worry about picking Iowa to lose when making out my NCAA brackets. Not going to happen this year but then most on here expected Iowa to miss the tournament anyway.
Fran's coaching just cemented your preseason predictions. You can always count on Fran losing games they should win. Happens every year....
Afraid this game as well as the Rutgers and PSU games are going to come back and haunt this team. Three very winnable games lost.

Bad stretch where we went from being tied to down 10 in a matter of a minute. That was the game. But yeah, obviously plenty of other factors that played into us losing. I HATE the fact we play without urgency until we’re losing at the end. Should be playing that way all the time, as that is our strength
Its also a reflection of who's in the game.

Fran keeps the better defenders on the bench more often than not.

Wasn't the right move today. Thats for sure.

Reactions: plainwhitetees83
We have no real big. Any team with two bigs gives us fits. We doubled Hunter most of the night and no one could stop the kid from Paris one on one. Any team that has bigs Iowa will struggle against.

I like us when we have equal size.

But why is it THIS game that is deemed “the one”? Why not the earlier losses to Illinois? Purdue? Or the one coming to Wisconsin? Or road at Iowa State?
Well this one is in the present but I'd also say this is a more winnable game than the losses to Illinois, Purdue, and Iowa State on the road. Any home losses aren't good but one to a team with your same conference record and a much lower NET ranking hurts.

This is not a tournament team and they proved it tonight. Fran demonstrated once again that he should be coaching in the mid-majors. Ulis, Joe T, and Perkins are not good. Do we have a new metric for Connor to say he is leading the conference in passing yardage? He has a good arm. Maybe get him in the mix for the QB competition?

Reactions: DewHawk
Yep, terrible decision.

He was already past the defender.

You don't do that shit unless they're infront of you and their arm is across your body.

People making excuses for that awful decision don't know what they're talking about.

You do not try that when you are past the defender.
Besides JBo is the only person in the world who thinks he is a threat shooting from 50 feet out.

Uhh, right now they are. They’ve always had the talent, but now they’ve put it together. I could see them winning the Big tournament.

Michigan is okay. I don't see them beating Purdue or Illinois in B1G tourney.

Mousa Diabate was averaging 8.7 ppg before he put up 12/15 and 28pts vs Iowa. Josh gave us some decent minutes in 1st half, should have played some in 2nd half when Michigan scored on 15/20 possessions or whatever that stat was.

Reactions: HawkBall23
Very disappointing loss. I tried to refrain from commenting but this is typical of Fraud McCaffery's tenure. Schedule several cupcake opponents to start the season and pad the win column to appease Barta. There is arguably no good win on the Hawks schedule all year. Give him another raise.

Reactions: DewHawk
We have no real big. Any team with two bigs gives us fits. We doubled Hunter most of the night and no one could stop the kid from Paris one on one. Any team that has bigs Iowa will struggle against.

I like us when we have equal size.
Thats why you have to attack Dickinson on offense.

It gets pointed out by the announcers all the time but it doesn't seem to register with the coaches.

Kris picking up multiple stupid fouls is an overlooked factor in the loss.

Iowa is always at its best with Kris at the 5 where the opposing big has to play out of the paint.

ADVERTISEMENT