ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Michigan (#37 NET) at IOWA (#19 NET) Game Thread. 6 PM CT, ESPN*****

Michigan is not a top team this year. They were 13-10 coming in and played with way more urgency than Iowa until three minutes left. Disappointing

Michigan is on the NCAA Tournament bubble.

They needed this win & they took it on the road, at our place.

And that's beyond disappointing.

As Michigan works its way into the NCAA Tournament, Iowa is working its way out.

This was the battle for the middle of the B1G. Iowa is now the "best" team of the bottom half of the league while um claims the title of worst team of the upper half. Fitting actually since Iowa has no wins against any team in the top 7.
It looks like this could be a year in which they have no wins against any team with a winning conference record. Will be interesting to see what the NET looks like if it plays out that way.

Reactions: RocknRollface
If had of won rest of schedule, including tonight - other than the @OSU, @UM and @ILL games - maybe could have survived taking a really bad loss @NEB, or what would be a bad loss @NW. Now? That game in Lincoln is as must win as can ever get, and the one in Evanston is not far off from that level.

And Iowa has almost always struggled - seemingly, at least - at that new(ish) arena over there in Debbieland.

Sure they do. It works less in the NBA because players are generally better free throw shooter. That Jones guy split two free throws twice. It could’ve been a tie game
This, this, THIS…

another awful late game execution

but we’ve seen this before, havent we

JBo starts at point guard and plays 30 minutes...ZERO assists. This offense doesn't work with him at the point. It just doesn't.

I'm not saying we have other great options but we have other options that play far better defense and distribute the ball while playing more uptempo which is how Iowa needs to play.

Iowa now does a quick turnaround and plays a real b* of a roadie @ OSU, early Saturday afternoon.

If OSU is hitting even just decently behind the arc this weekend, it'll be 'woodshed'.

Reactions: intrepodor
JBo starts at point guard and plays 30 minutes...ZERO assists. This offense doesn't work with him at the point. It just doesn't.

I'm not saying we have other great options but we have other options that play far better defense and distribute the ball while playing more uptempo which is how Iowa needs to play.
Yeah.

I tried to explain to people the Maryland game was not indicative of what was to come because we have years upon years of evidence to show he can't create off the dribble other than a few possessions a game.

He had one good look all game when Rebraca passed it to him off his ass.

Jbo is so easy for a big ten guard to lock up.

Ultimately he's set this team back more than helped.

- Missed FTs.
- Missed dunks.
- Doubling Dickinson, allowing kick outs for open 3s or re-entry passes for 2 points and/or a foul drawn.
- Giving up a ton of paint points, mostly on dribble drives.

Just so much slop and lack of effort in this game. So disappointing, yet so Iowa.
Yes why double him when he is a great passer? sure double him if he is killing us but he was not and when he had open looks he missed

Reactions: HawkBall23
I have found this trending keegan is trying to do too much when he is playing quad 1 opponents

Iowa now does a quick turnaround and plays a real b* of a roadie @ OSU, early Saturday afternoon.

If OSU is hitting even just decently behind the arc this weekend, it'll be 'woodshed'.
I think the quick turnaround helps us. Flush this game. Get one back.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Yeah.

I tried to explain to people the Maryland game was not indicative of what was to come because we have years upon years of evidence to show he can't create off the dribble other than a few possessions a game.

He had one good look all game when Rebraca passed it to him off his ass.

Jbo is so easy for a big ten guard to lock up.

Ultimately he's set this team back more than helped.
30 minutes at the point and 2-5 w/0 assists. So he doesn’t create for others, and can’t get a shot off against more athletic teams. It’s been proven all season. Not going to get into the whole Touissant thing again but it would be interesting to see what happens if he gets 30 minutes. Maybe he has 7 turnovers. I don’t know. But against athletic teams JBO at the point is not the answer. Doesn’t matter because Fran doesn’t give a shit what I think!

Yep, terrible decision.

He was already past the defender.

You don't do that shit unless they're infront of you and their arm is across your body.

People making excuses for that awful decision don't know what they're talking about.

You do not try that when you are past the defender.

Jordan became solely focused on the foul instead of the task at hand. A few more dribbles and he had a pretty easy pull up 3 or, if defenders rushed him, an easy pass to an open teammate. Disappointed to see a Senior lose track of time, score, and pretty much everything else but the foul. And, honestly, how often do you see a shooting foul called in that situation? Pretty darn rare.

Yes why double him when he is a great passer? sure double him if he is killing us but he was not and when he had open looks he missed
Those weak doubles were maybe the biggest reason Iowa lost.

If you're going to double be agressive.

I'll give Howard credit, he has coached him on how to beat doubles like an NBA player.

You don't see college players dribble to the corner on purpose to pass like that very often.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
Jordan became solely focused on the foul instead of the task at hand. A few more dribbles and he had a pretty easy pull up 3 or, if defenders rushed him, an easy pass to an open teammate. Disappointed to see a Senior lose track of time, score, and pretty much everything else but the foul. And, honestly, how often do you see a shooting foul called in that situation? Pretty darn rare.
He had to have had it in his mind before the play even started that um was going to foul.

They must have seen Michigan foul in that situation in prep but you just can't risk that until you hear a whistle.

Especially since the odds of the reff actually giving you 3 shots if fouled is virtually non existent.

I'll give Howard credit, he has coached him on how to beat doubles like an NBA player.

You don't see college players dribble to the corner on purpose to pass like that very often.
Joe t is great on double downs but he played what 10 minutes tonight? Bau

Thats why you have to attack Dickinson on offense.

It gets pointed out by the announcers all the time but it doesn't seem to register with the coaches.

Kris picking up multiple stupid fouls is an overlooked factor in the loss.

Iowa is always at its best with Kris at the 5 where the opposing big has to play out of the paint.
Plus Kris is a great 3 point shooter where the opponent s 5 has to step out

was just getting ready to post that. You either double hard immediately and get in his space or you go half way until he puts it on the floor then dig. They would fully commit to the double but not be at all aggressive about it

Plus Kris is a great 3 point shooter where the opponent s 5 has to step out
I've been harping on it all year but it's Iowa only chance to compete with these biger teams.

Make their strength a weakness on the other end.

Kris took himself out tonight with dumb fouls so it wasn't even an option.

Reactions: Buffalo43
was just getting ready to post that. You either double hard immediately and get in his space or you go half way until he puts it on the floor then dig. They would fully commit to the double but not be at all aggressive about it
Yeah. They let him dribble his way into the corner while they casualy followed him.

Theres no reason a 7fter should be able to take that many dribbles against a double team.

You have to take his space away.

Reactions: Slim45
I've been harping on it all year but it's Iowa only chance to compete with these biger teams.

Make their strength a weakness on the other end.

Kris took himself out tonight with dumb fouls so it wasn't even an option.
He ended up with 4 fouls he was not disqualified for the record

To further that is in game coaching make he beat you until he hits some shots versus having him pass out because of double team and then it becomes a sramble on defense and then 3 point field goal or open drive for lap up or foul

To further that is in game coaching make he beat you until he hits some shots versus having him pass out because of double team and then it becomes a sramble on defense and then 3 point field goal or open drive for lap up or foul
Are they talking about this in tme out huddles?

this is what you get when you can't shoot free throws, miss dunks, and don't defend the paint

ADVERTISEMENT