ADVERTISEMENT

official Morel thread

Went out with my dad and uncle Saturday and found a combined 8 pounds. This was in the Burlington area. I think they found around 25 pounds for the year, which is less than half of what they usually find.

Been finding the big yellows which is a good sign it is about over for the year.

Went out Saturday to my usual place and got skunked.

200.gif

Went to a place I hadn't been in 3 years yesterday and found a couple of pounds.

I have little kids so my days of hunting came to a stand still for a couple more years. Still need to find a good place in or around CR. Last Saturday my grandma fried up two skillets worth so I least got to sample some this year

Thanks for starting this Clarinda. I have some topics to discuss but I would rather do so on the PC. Keep the updates coming guys and good luck. Thanks again CA.

My buddy brought two pounds over last night from his family farm. First time having them and they live up to the hype.
Just made my first foray through our mini-timber and came up empty. Time alone will tell whether I also was skunked on the other half of the trip, which is the collection of ticks.

Had a pretty good hour or so this morning. Can't give a weight necessarily, but at least a couple dozen nice yellows. Work always ruins everything. I would rather be tramping thru the woods right now.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
No ticks this year. Went back to the place I was at Tuesday and picked 12 medium grays and 6 big yellows. Going out after work to public land but I'm guessing I'll get shut out by the 6,000 people that have been there ahead of me.

Anybody have any semi healthy way to cook morels? I usually just roll in cracker crumbs and fry in butter. Am looking for a healthier alternative.

I found about 5 lbs today. Season is just getting started. If it would heat up I think I could break my daily record of 16 lbs. Unfortunately, the forecast doesn't look promising.

Anybody have any semi healthy way to cook morels? I usually just roll in cracker crumbs and fry in butter. Am looking for a healthier alternative.
Well, it is Vidalia onion season, so I'd go New Pi and get some fresh Andouille sausage, hit a farmers market for fresh Vidalias and make a pizza. Thats what I'm doing this weekend. Seems pretty healthy to me.

Also, picked another dozen giant grays today, and got another dozen big yellows.

Did pretty well this morning...2 dozen by 630 and found my first one before 6 via flashlight.

My dad went out for 45 minutes yesterday and got enough to fill two 1-gallon freezer bags once they were cleaned and cut. Ridiculous.

And that was "saving the good spot" for today. The weather in that area has been just perfect for some huge harvests.

Oh, and I hope beau reads this.

Herky Jr. and I went out this afternoon to some parks in the North Twin Cities metro and did great by our modest standards. In fact, I think it was our best haul ever. Just fried some of them up, and damn are they good! Here are some pics:

479250c4489d0c16bed761aaf2b224cb.jpg

b735bdcc7ff38c3a23290ed9c3ecf5b2.jpg

b52ae2775bdf7d8da36cf5cafbc1e794.jpg

Happy to see you guys having luck and enjoying hunting with your families. Had a good day today and get to hunt some private ground tomorrow. Makes all the difference in the world.

I ate like a couple pounds of them last night with the kids.....I'm probably done for the year....too much of a good thing

I ate like a couple pounds of them last night with the kids.....I'm probably done for the year....too much of a good thing

Funny I recently was going to ask if you had kids. I will try to get the pic thing figured out. I am a tree hugging dirt worshipper so the innerwebz are hard for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT