ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Oaks and Derby Degens Thread ***

I’m waiting on the post draw. If Fierceness is outside the 4 hole I’m all in on him with Catching Freedom as the second. Forever Young, Just a Touch, Just Steel, Stronghold somewhere in there probably. Will be diggin in all next week.

I have a 37/1 Oaks ticket on Ways and Means though so hope that does well but probably not.

I’m waiting on the post draw. If Fierceness is outside the 4 hole I’m all in on him with Catching Freedom as the second. Forever Young, Just a Touch, Just Steel, Stronghold somewhere in there probably. Will be diggin in all next week.

I have a 37/1 Oaks ticket on Ways and Means though so hope that does well but probably not.

Endlessly?

Just Steel 6
Just a Touch 8
Forever Young 11
Endlessly 14
Fierceness 17
Stronghold 18

Bet the Oaks/Derby Double. Did so last year and netted a couple hundred from it due to a guy we were with was like rainman with his knowledge of horses, jockeys, and race conditions the horses prefer. Old timer had it all figured out both days. Lost a few races but won more often than not. I’d say they pulled in a couple grand each betting small amounts on each race. It was fun to watch them do their thing but didn’t want to horn in on their system but he did give me the Oaks/Derby winning ticket as a side help. Sent him some CC22 gear as a thank you.

I am all in on Fierceness on top. I'm simply betting that he gets out of the gate.

If there is a pace meltdown the horse I like the best is Domestic Product closing from the clouds with Irad on him.

More to come!

Honor Marie - thoughts?

Ah yes, time to post my annual homage to the late Gordon W. Hatheway Jr.:

Recipe for one on Saturday at 5:30 P.M.

1. On Friday, purchase fresh mint and Kentucky bourbon, and make sure that you have sugar and ice on hand.

2. (Also on Friday) If your mint is still on the stalk, remove a dozen lower leaves from the stalks (otherwise use 12 leaves from the package of purchased mint), place them in a jar, and add 3 ounces of simple syrup (simple syrup is made by combining equal amounts of sugar and water and boiling). Bruise the mint by whacking it a few times with the handle end of a wooden spoon. Add eight ounces of bourbon, stir, and refrigerate. The recipe to this point multiplies nicely if more than one is to be served.

3. On Saturday around 4:30 P.M., crush a bunch of ice cubes. Crushed ice permits a more rapid cooling of the libation and contributes to the rapid formation of the ice frosting on your silver (pewter, if you must) Jefferson cups.

4. At 5:00 P.M., fill the Jefferson cup with the crushed ice, then fill with the chilled bourbon mixture. Stir vigorously to start the development of the frosting on the outside of the cup. Add to the top of the mixture the sprig of mint from the top of a stalk (or a few loose leaves from your package).

5. Enjoy. Repeat as necessary.

Honor Marie - thoughts?
Interesting. I loved the workout I watched the other day. But I liked him in the last race and Catching Freedom blew buy like it was standing still so my attention has now gone to the 4 CF over HM. Not to mention Catching Freedom's bad race before that gets excused because of slop and the time before it had severe traffic trouble so I think we still haven't seen his best race.

1. On Friday, purchase fresh mint and Kentucky bourbon, and make sure that you have sugar and ice on hand.

2. (Also on Friday) If your mint is still on the stalk, remove a dozen lower leaves from the stalks (otherwise use 12 leaves from the package of purchased mint), place them in a jar, and add 3 ounces of simple syrup (simple syrup is made by combining equal amounts of sugar and water and boiling). Bruise the mint by whacking it a few times with the handle end of a wooden spoon. Add eight ounces of bourbon, stir, and refrigerate. The recipe to this point multiplies nicely if more than one is to be served.

3. On Saturday around 4:30 P.M., crush a bunch of ice cubes. Crushed ice permits a more rapid cooling of the libation and contributes to the rapid formation of the ice frosting on your silver (pewter, if you must) Jefferson cups.

4. At 5:00 P.M., fill the Jefferson cup with the crushed ice, then fill with the chilled bourbon mixture. Stir vigorously to start the development of the frosting on the outside of the cup. Add to the top of the mixture the sprig of mint from the top of a stalk (or a few loose leaves from your package).

Paging @FSUTribe76

Please pick up a white courtesy phone and give us your best Derby Cocktail and recipes for this week!

Alright. Let’s go boys.

Post draw is Saturday.

What the hell is @FAUlty Gator doing?
OK...Subject to Change:
If we had a $1000 to mess with

Trifecta ticket today it would look like this.

17 w/4, 11, 15, 18 w/ 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 11, 15, 18
For 50 cents that costs $14 so for $20 that would cost $480.

A Super would be that same ticket with ALL in 4th
That would cost $47.60 for 10 cents and $238 for 50 cents. I would probably play that with ALL in both 3rd and 4th spots making it a $476 play.

With the remaining $50 or so I would play a $50 Exacta 4/17

If I had to predict the order of the race it would look like this.

Fierceness
Catching Freedom
Forever Young
Stronghold
Domestic Product
Just a Touch
Catalytic
Sierra Leone
Just Steel
Honor Maria
Dornoch
Society Man

Last edited:
OK...Subject to Change:
If we had a $1000 to mess with

Trifecta ticket today it would look like this.

17 w/4, 11, 15, 18 w/ 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 11, 15, 18
For 50 cents that costs $14 so for $20 that would cost $480.

A Super would be that same ticket with ALL in 4th
That would cost $47.60 for 10 cents and $238 for 50 cents. I would probably play that with ALL in both 3rd and 4th spots making it a $476 play.

With the remaining $50 or so I would play a $50 Exacta 4/17

If I had to predict the order of the race it would look like this.

Fierceness
Catching Freedom
Forever Young
Stronghold
Domestic Product
Catalytic
Sierra Leone
Just Steel
Honor Maria
Resilience
Dornoch
Society Man
Is this a suggestion or a solicitation? I can throw some change your way like we did last year.

Last edited:
I'm in - will Venmo today, assuming same Venmo from the previous two years I've piggybacked. Got a good feeling this is our year. Let me know if the price of admission goes up. Would love to piggyback any bets!

Reactions: FAUlty Gator
Just sent you $100 via Venmo.

Like Michael to Tom Hagen in Godfather 2, I give you full power over the betting card.

Gentle town folks of GIAOT - get your cash in to @FAUlty Gator asap.
I'm in - will Venmo today, assuming same Venmo from the previous two years I've piggybacked. Got a good feeling this is our year. Let me know if the price of admission goes up. Would love to piggyback any bets!
Fun with Chat GPT!

Me: Create a one dollar kentucky derby superfecta ticket whose total cost is between $400 and $600

Response
Creating a Kentucky Derby superfecta ticket within the $400 to $600 range requires some strategic planning. Since the cost of a superfecta ticket can vary based on the number of combinations included, we need to balance the number of selections with the cost per combination. Let's aim for a reasonable number of combinations while still allowing for potential payout.

Here's a strategy for a one dollar Kentucky Derby superfecta ticket within the specified budget:

1. Key Horses: Select two horses you believe have a strong chance of winning or placing in the race. These will be your main contenders.
  2. Supporting Horses: Choose several other horses that you think have a good chance of finishing in the top four but might not necessarily win. These will provide coverage for your superfecta.
  3. Ticket Structure: Since each combination costs $1, we'll aim to include around 10-15 combinations to stay within the budget range.
  4. Combination Strategy: To maximize coverage without exceeding the budget, we'll use the key horses in multiple combinations with different supporting horses.
Here's an example ticket structure:

• Key Horses: Horse A and Horse B
  • Supporting Horses: Horses C, D, E, F, G
Now, let's create some combinations:

1. A, B with C, D, E, F, G
  2. A, B, C with D, E, F, G
  3. A, B, D with C, E, F, G
  4. A, B, E with C, D, F, G
  5. A, B, F with C, D, E, G
  6. A, B, G with C, D, E, F

Reactions: Brian_Fantana
Yep. Thank you

Open to more if anything pops up. Feel good enough about my sports betting; but horse racing is not my forte and I’m a slight degenerate
Well…we are taking the favorite and are trying to get a price or two underneath.

Three recent favorites had very good exotic wager prices because a long shot showed up in 2nd, third or fourth.

Orb was a favorite and Golden Soul came in second and the $2 exacta paid $900.

California Chrome was the favorite and the dollar trifecta paid $1,700.

Justify was the favorite and the trifecta only paid $70. But because a long shot came in 4th the Superfecta paid $19,000.

So we will have some options.

Yep. Thank you

Open to more if anything pops up. Feel good enough about my sports betting; but horse racing is not my forte and I’m a slight degenerate
I am in for a $100 on a group ticket.

And maybe more because I’m a degen.

Anyone else?

You game for placing the bet @FAUlty Gator ?
As of now it's just us three ($300) so I don't feel too bad about it. I like a good price in the Oaks tomorrow (the 3 horse Where's My Ring) so I may throw $50 of it at the Oaks/ Derby Double and play the rest in a trifecta). Sound good?

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
As of now it's just us three ($300) so I don't feel too bad about it. I like a good price in the Oaks tomorrow (the 3 horse Where's My Ring) so I may throw $50 of it at the Oaks/ Derby Double and play the rest in a trifecta). Sound good?

Yep.

Indeed. Open to whatever
$300 Ticket looks like this right now...
$20 Oaks Derby Double 3/17 (That would win over $1000 if it hits according to the current Probables)

$2 Trifecta ($280)
1st place: 4,17
2nd Place: 2,4,6,7,8,15,17,18
3rd Place: 1,2,4,5,6,7,8,14,15,17,18,19

Now, I can make that trifecta a dollar and you guys can add a horse each to the winning line. I'm good with that.

$300 Ticket looks like this right now...
$20 Oaks Derby Double 3/17 (That would win over $1000 if it hits according to the current Probables)

$2 Trifecta ($280)
1st place: 4,17
2nd Place: 2,4,6,7,8,15,17,18
3rd Place: 1,2,4,5,6,7,8,14,15,17,18,19

Now, I can make that trifecta a dollar and you guys can add a horse each to the winning line. I'm good with that.
Hmm - my limited research is saying to put the 15 horse in if running; but I'll leave that up to the majority of 3!

Reactions: FAUlty Gator

Nothing like a good mint julip wearing a stupid hat to bring summer.

Reactions: Aardvark86

So want to back Endlessly but I just went over last night and bet him across the board.
I’m gonna actually use Mystic Dan as well due to the current wet conditions. But I think it will be dry by race time tomorrow. Gives me a reason to use him though.

Will post oaks double ticket shortly

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT