ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Penn State at IOWA Game Thread. 3:30 pm CT, BTN*****

9 from your go to guy is not really "special"
Because free throws don’t really count! Better go tell Aaron White!

You realize that making two free throws is better than making a layup because it adds a foul for the other team/player, gets you closer to the bonus, and can change the aggressiveness with which opposing players can defend

You realize that making two free throws is better than making a layup because it adds a foul for the other team/player, gets you closer to the bonus, and can change the aggressiveness with which opposing players can defend
True.
Though, he is now 56% from the line in conference play.
That should improve.
You would think.

Reactions: unoHawkeye

Good point.

Of Aaron White's 1,859 career points, 618 (33%) of them came from the FT line

Aaron was a 77% career FT shooter, too.

Reactions: unoHawkeye

Making 2 free throws does none of those things.

Drawing a foul does.

Making 2 free throws does none of those things.

Drawing a foul does.
How do you get to the free throw line? Drawing a foul in and of itself is not better than making a layup. Drawing a foul and missing both free throws or splitting is not better than making a layup. Drawing a foul and making two free throws is better than simply making a layup for the reasons I said.

Something tells me that you knew what I meant though, considering picking apart wordings of comments is pretty much your schtick

Good win, lots to be happy about. 2nd half Hawks played hard and overall very good. I liked the rotations better today too, although I’d still rather have seen a little more JoeT and Tony Perkins and a bit less Connor and JBo but the minutes seemed better otherwise. I’m a bit concerned we’re still not getting a few minutes here and there for our young bigs and a few minutes of Peyton S. for some games where we may need them (ie.Purdue) but that’s next game so we’ll see then. Good win , still wish we had beaten Rutgers, opportunity lost.

This was a take care of business game. psu is not a good team. Iowa needs to beat all of the not good teams on their schedule to secure those all important 10 league wins.

The free throws were a result of the plays you ran for him. I don't get your complaining about Keegan at all or discounting his 15 points to LEAD ALL SCORERS...
The discussion began when someone said Keegan was "special" today.
I thought the defense was focusing on him and he had an average afternoon.
15 is nothing to sniff at but "special"?
He will have to adjust to what teams are going to throw at him.

The discussion began when someone said Keegan was "special" today.
I thought the defense was focusing on him and he had an average afternoon.
15 is nothing to sniff at but "special"?
He will have to adjust to what teams are going to throw at him.
Definitely a special player that gets 15 points and 8 boards while being the focus of the opposing team's defense.

Definitely a special player that gets 15 points and 8 boards while being the focus of the opposing team's defense.

Keegan did not force shots today. He played good defense, set solid picks and took what the defense gave him. Other players (Kris, Patrick, Filip and Jordan) stepped up. This is a credit to Keegan and the rest of the team.

Last edited:
The free throws were a result of the plays you ran for him. I don't get your complaining about Keegan at all or discounting his 15 points to LEAD ALL SCORERS...
Yeah. This was far from Keegan's best day and he'd be the first to say so. He'd also tell you his brother had the better one today. Several players had better days today which is what you need from them when the opponent is focusing so much on your star and he's struggling to hit shots. It was a good team win.

Ends up +1 at the end.
A. Kris Murray was allowed to play the majority of the 2nd half versus only 8m in the 1st half.
B. Both Macs played fewer minutes in 2nd Half than 1st half. (PMac 14 1h minutes, 0 rebounds)

as we’ve talked about ad nausea, replacing the Macs minutes with more Murray minutes will impact rebound positively

A. Kris Murray was allowed to play the majority of the 2nd half versus only 8m in the 1st half.
B. Both Macs played fewer minutes in 2nd Half than 1st half. (PMac 14 1h minutes, 0 rebounds)

as we’ve talked about ad nausea, replacing the Macs minutes with more Murray minutes will impact rebound positively

Kris was “allowed” to play more in the second half because he more aggressive. Kris was not looking for his shot in the first half, which is why he did not play more.

Is that was Fran said?
or are we just making things up?
Kris was “allowed” to play more in the second half because he more aggressive. Kris was not looking for his shot in the first half, which is why he did not play
in 8 1H minutes Kris took 2 shots
in 12 2H minutes Kris took 3 shots

FFS, the amount of ways people to try to defend Kris not playing is comical…FFS

Last edited:
Is that was Fran said?

Is that was Fran said?

I did not hear what Fran said after the game and am making assumptions, like yourself. I like Kris as a player as I like all of the Hawkeye players. I have said multiple times that I think Kris deserves more minutes. I do not have an agenda as I want all of them to do well and try not to attack any of the players. I go off of my observations though.

I thought that Kris looked tentative in the first half yesterday. I was asking him to shoot more when he was in the game, but he was passing it off as opposed to attacking the basket. Patrick had the better first half as he scored 11 points to help Iowa take the lead. Kris had the better second half. He scored ten points in the second half and was more aggressive on both ends of the floor in my opinion.

I believe Fran goes into each game with the plan of playing most of the players 15-20 minutes a game. I think that is why he makes the hockey line changes in the first half as he wants to see who is playing better in that game. Fran has been making adjustments in the second half to try and stick with the lineup he feels is being most productive. I know that you and some others disagree, which is fine.

Reactions: KcTo
I did not hear what Fran said after the game and am making assumptions, like yourself. I like Kris as a player as I like all of the Hawkeye players. I have said multiple times that I think Kris deserves more minutes. I do not have an agenda as I want all of them to do well and try not to attack any of the players. I go off of my observations though.

I thought that Kris looked tentative in the first half yesterday. I was asking him to shoot more when he was in the game, but he was passing it off as opposed to attacking the basket. Patrick had the better first half as he scored 11 points to help Iowa take the lead. Kris had the better second half. He scored ten points in the second half and was more aggressive on both ends of the floor in my opinion.

I believe Fran goes into each game with the plan of playing most of the players 15-20 minutes a game. I think that is why he makes the hockey line changes in the first half as he wants to see who is playing better in that game. Fran has been making adjustments in the second half to try and stick with the lineup he feels is being most productive. I know that you and some others disagree, which is fine.
Nice reply, I see what you mean, Kris played 20 minutes but only shot 5x, all five 3FGA, so yes, I agree that he could have gotten more FGA.

but he did take it to the basket and got fouls 3x in the act of shooting, so there were those, I did not see the game, so I assume those were decisive drives at basket, of out backs from O Boards?

I think we are mostly in agreement,

Reactions: mooresville hawk
Good point.

Of Aaron White's 1,859 career points, 618 (33%) of them came from the FT line

Aaron was a 77% career FT shooter, too.
Good Stat Fran. And how many of the others came on dunks? It seemed his offense was run un the break and get slams, or put his head down and bull his way to the hoop to draw fouls and get FTs. If he made a bucket that was a bonus.

ADVERTISEMENT