ADVERTISEMENT

***Nunge (MVP) & Brady WIN PTL Championship 96-92 in OT; Williams named Best Defender ***

From the pictures i have seen, he does not look rail thin like Uthoff, that is for sure

I'm afraid he might grow himself out of his best position, at the three. Right now Nunge is only ten pounds from the maximum weight McCaffery wants him at. And, I'm not sure he's done growing vertically either.

It wouldn't normally be a big thing, but we've already got plenty of fours and fives. Offensively it doesn't matter. Defensively this is a case of what we did with White and Uthoff...and the bigger Jack gets, the tougher it will be to make that work.

I don't know, we make it work this year...and Connor, Wieskamp come in and maybe we do want Nunge playing some stretch four. I mean, we think we have problems figuring out where to play players this year, we get deeper still in 2018/19.

Just personal opinion, I think Nunge is a stretch 4. He has difficulty staying in front of his man on the perimeter. He could play a little 3 if we went zone for stretches but most of the time I think he'll be a 4.

Reactions: unIowa
Just personal opinion, I think Nunge is a stretch 4. He has difficulty staying in front of his man on the perimeter. He could play a little 3 if we went zone for stretches but most of the time I think he'll be a 4.
Zach McCabe, Aaron White. If those guys can play the 3 for Fran, Nunge certainly can. Uthoff also played the 3- Nunge will probably play it like that. I know, taller guys can have trouble staying in front of 3s. But it's obvious Fran has a history of putting them there and has built a roster with that in mind. Plus, with the depth we have, he could rotate Baer, Nunge, Wagner at the 3 for short stretches each, asking them to go full out defending. Who would wear out first?- those three guys or the shorter player they're guarding?

Reactions: DanL53
As you will see at the end of this post, previous games between the two semi-finalists were settled by 10 or fewer points. Hopefully tonight's games are just as good, or better.

Who's going?

Tom Kakert will not be there; Blair might be. Mark Emmert from the Register typically is there live, covering the games.

July 20, PLAYOFFS (SEMI FINALS)

First semifinal game 6:00 at Sportsplex (Waterloo)
Second semifinal game 7:30 at Sportsplex (Waterloo)

THE MATCH UPS

(1 seed) 5-1
JoBo Kreiner / LL Pelling vs (5 seed) 3-4 Nunge Ellingson / Vinton Merchants

(2 seed) 5-1 Baer Moss / Culvers vs (6 seed) 2-5 Dailey Garza / Westport Touchless

Previous games between these Two Semi-Finalists:

Round 4 (June 29)

JoBo Kreiner 95, Nunge Ellingson 87

Round 5 (July 9)

Baer Moss 105, Dailey Garza 95

It would be disappointing if it is a long term injury. Best player on the floor until that point. In 8 minutes he had two deep 3's and 4 other buckets. Don't know if missed a shot.

Didn't see the play in question but my guess is that Kreiner was not injured. While on the bench he was getting up and sitting down without evidence of pain and walked off the court at the end of the game slowly but with a normal gait.

It would be disappointing if it is a long term injury. Best player on the floor until that point. In 8 minutes he had two deep 3's and 4 other buckets. Don't know if missed a shot.

Ryan is the difference maker on this team IMO...he takes pressure away from Garza coming in as a freshman..he has got bigger & stronger but still runs the floor & his outside shooting (3) has improved alot.

I hope the hell he isnt seriously F'n hurt...and it better not have been something that wasnt necessary like when Koch gave him an elbow in NL that ended knocking a tooth out (from what I understand).

You never know with back injuries. Kriener was in real pain when he came of the floor. He could wake up tomorrow no worse for wear. He could wake up with pain. It will interesting the next time he practices with contact. Anyone who's had a back injury knows they can linger. The injury should not have happened. There was no place for it in this setting. Later in the game Klimt Carlson was shoved to floor and landed very hard on the 30 second clock. He's a big guy and he smashed the clock up pretty good. Very lucky he wasn't severely injured. No foul called.

You never know with back injuries. Kriener was in real pain when he came of the floor. He could wake up tomorrow no worse for wear. He could wake up with pain. It will interesting the next time he practices with contact. Anyone who's had a back injury knows they can linger. The injury should not have happened. There was no place for it in this setting. Later in the game Klimt Carlson was shoved to floor and landed very hard on the 30 second clock. He's a big guy and he smashed the clock up pretty good. Very lucky he wasn't severely injured. No foul called.

Yeah, back injuries can really suck!

You are correct; Kreiner got hit in the mouth by Cook's elbow earlier in the PTL season and now this? Who caused his back injury and how did it happen? Was it a dirty play?

I always thought the PTL was like an NBA all star game where they just wanted to get through it with no injuries.....guess I was wrong....and come on, its not like Fran is using the results to decide minutes, so not sure why elbows need to be thrown and hard fouls made that could result in injury

Any body know the scores?

For the life of me I don't know why they don't grab 2-4 kids out of the crowd to wipe the floor when needed. Players were slipping all over the place. Referees were taking a towel during play and tried to keep the floor dry.

For the life of me I don't know why they don't grab 2-4 kids out of the crowd to wipe the floor when needed. Players were slipping all over the place. Referees were taking a towel during play and tried to keep the floor dry.

Did you see how Kreiner got hurt?

Who won?

No it wasn't anything obvious that I saw. I just saw him immediately leave the court with a trainer and got it iced and wrapped. Vinton Merchants won the first game with is Nunge team. Westport Touchless Auto wash beat Culver's team in the second game. Ugly game for Baer and Moss

Yeah, back injuries can really suck!

You are correct; Kreiner got hit in the mouth by Cook's elbow earlier in the PTL season and now this? Who caused his back injury and how did it happen? Was it a dirty play?

I always thought the PTL was like an NBA all star game where they just wanted to get through it with no injuries.....guess I was wrong....and come on, its not like Fran is using the results to decide minutes, so not sure why elbows need to be thrown and hard fouls made that could result in injury

Any body know the scores?

Cook did not elbow Kreiner....Koch from UNI did...Ryan was not pleased. It was not Tyler Cook it was Bennett Koch.

Reactions: T. Kimball

this bothers me thus the reason I posted about injuries a few days ago.

Yep some of us have posted about wet spots previously as well.
If those are my players & the floors get out of hand...game over.

No it wasn't anything obvious that I saw. I just saw him immediately leave the court with a trainer and got it iced and wrapped. Vinton Merchants won the first game with is Nunge team. Westport Touchless Auto wash beat Culver's team in the second game. Ugly game for Baer and Moss

thanks for the info.

Crazy that the 5 seed and 6 seed are advancing to the Championship! But then again, without Kreiner, Jordan can only do so much. Was that the main reason JoBo Kreiner went down?

How did Dailey Garza pull off the upset of Baer Moss?

I found the scores from the Gazette:

(5 seed) 3-4 Nunge Ellingson / Vinton Merchants defeated (1 seed) 5-1 JoBo Kreiner / LL Pelling 100-89 Thursday at the Cedar Valley Sportsplex to advance to the Prime Time League championship.

(6 seed) 2-5 Dailey Garza / Westport Touchless defeated (2 seed) 5-1 Baer Moss / Culvers 78-62 in Thursday’s other Prime Time League semifinal.

thanks for the info.

Crazy that the 5 seed and 6 seed are advancing to the Championship! But then again, without Kreiner, Jordan can only do so much. Was that the main reason JoBo Kreiner went down?

How did Dailey Garza pull off the upset of Baer Moss?

I found the scores from the Gazette:

(5 seed) 3-4 Nunge Ellingson / Vinton Merchants defeated (1 seed) 5-1 JoBo Kreiner / LL Pelling 100-89 Thursday at the Cedar Valley Sportsplex to advance to the Prime Time League championship.

(6 seed) 2-5 Dailey Garza / Westport Touchless defeated (2 seed) 5-1 Baer Moss / Culvers 78-62 in Thursday’s other Prime Time League semifinal.

I believe Garza did not play due to an injury sustain in last sunday's PTL game

Sunday July 23 - Championship Game
North Liberty Community Center
520 Cherry St
North Liberty IA

3:00 Jones Gym, North Liberty

(5 seed) 4-4 Nunge Ellingson / Vinton Merchants vs (6 seed) 3-5 Dailey Garza / Westport Touchless

RECOGNITION CEREMONY AT HALFTIME

Pretty strange Garza and Daily didn't play but the team won anyway?!?!?!?!?!?

I agree. That is nuts! LOL

I don't think there was any media covering these games, either, so its hard to know what the heck went down!

I wonder if many people show up for the Championship now that the #1 and #2 seeds are out.

I agree. That is nuts! LOL

I don't think there was any media covering these games, either, so its hard to know what the heck went down!....QUOTE]

FYI, Rick Coleman of KWWL was at the Sportsplex for Thursday night's games. I assume he used footage for the 10:00 p.m. sports broadcast.

Zach McCabe, Aaron White. If those guys can play the 3 for Fran, Nunge certainly can. Uthoff also played the 3- Nunge will probably play it like that. I know, taller guys can have trouble staying in front of 3s. But it's obvious Fran has a history of putting them there and has built a roster with that in mind. Plus, with the depth we have, he could rotate Baer, Nunge, Wagner at the 3 for short stretches each, asking them to go full out defending. Who would wear out first?- those three guys or the shorter player they're guarding?

White and McCabe were not very good at staying in front of their guys at the 3 in man. JU was the best of the bunch by far but his better position was the 4. I think Baers best position is the 4 honestly.

If Nunge is at the 3 it will have to be zone IMO, at least now. He may improve enough in a couple years to be full time.

So what happened with RK?

White and McCabe were not very good at staying in front of their guys at the 3 in man. JU was the best of the bunch by far but his better position was the 4. I think Baers best position is the 4 honestly.

If Nunge is at the 3 it will have to be zone IMO, at least now. He may improve enough in a couple years to be full time.
But, 2 things.
1) The team defensive was good in the years those guys played the 3, basically 2013-2015, I believe.
2) Whether either one of us think it's a good idea, Fran's history and current roster indicate that Baer/Nunge are likely to play significant minutes at the 3 and one is likely to start.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT