ADVERTISEMENT

***Official United States 2022 World Cup Roster Thread***

Hawkfan_08

HR Legend
Nov 9, 2002
North Liberty
Starting it early. Came across this article from Yahoo for their top 25 US players right now. I actually don't disagree with a ton of it. November can't get here quick enough.

Who do you think gets in?
Who gets left out?
Surprises?
Here we go

Yahoos list
  1. Christian Pulisic, Chelsea (1)
  2. Weston McKennie, Juventus (3)
  3. Tyler Adams, Leeds United (2)
  4. Yunus Musah, Valencia (5)
  5. Timothy Weah, Lille (4)
  6. Sergino Dest, Barcelona (13)
  7. Walker Zimmerman, Nashville SC (11)
  8. Chris Richards, Crystal Palace (10)
  9. Brenden Aaronson, Leeds United (15)
  10. Antonee Robinson, Fulham (6)
  11. Giovanni Reyna, Borussia Dortmund (9)
  12. Luca de la Torre, Celta Vigo (NR)
  13. John Brooks, unattached (8)
  14. Zack Steffen, Middlesbrough on loan from Man City (16)
  15. Matt Turner, Arsenal (24)
  16. Miles Robinson, Atlanta United (7)
  17. Kellyn Acosta, LAFC (17)
  18. Jordan Pefok, Union Berlin (12)
  19. Cameron Carter-Vickers, Celtic (23)
  20. Haji Wright, Antalyaspor (NR)
  21. Gianluca Busio, Venezia (20)
  22. Paul Arriola, FC Dallas (NR)
  23. Joe Scally, Borussia Monchengladbach (14)
  24. Ethan Horvath, Luton Town (21)
  25. Gabriel “Gaga” Slonina, Chicago Fire (NR)

Reactions: SI_NYC
Also, here is my 22 for the squad as of right now:

1. GK- Zack Steffen (Middlesborough from Man City)
2. GK- Matt Turner (Arsenal)
3. GK- Gaga Solonina (Chicago Fire from Chelsea)
4. D- Chris Richards (Crystal Palace)
5. D- Walker Zimmermann (Nashville)
6. D- *Miles Robinson (Atlanta)
7. D- Sergino Dest (Barcelona)
8. D- Antonee Robinson (Fulham)
9. D- Joe Scally (Monchengladbach)
10. D- Reggie Cannon (Boavista)
11. M- Weston McKennie (Juventus)
12. M- Yunus Musah (Valencia)
13. M- Tyler Adams (Leeds)
14. M- Luca de la Torre (Celta Vigo)
15. F/M- Gio Reyna (Dortmund)
16. M- Christian Roldan (Seattle)
17. M- Gianluca Busio (Venezia)
18. F/M- Jordan Morris (Seattle)
19. F- Christian Pulisic (Chelsea)
20. F- Jordan Pefok (Union Berlin)
21. F- Brenden Aaronson (Leeds United)
22. F- Tim Weah (Lille)

4 extra additons to make 26 because I totally forgot!
23. D- Cameron Carter-Vickers (Celtic)
24. D- Aaron Long (NYRB)
25. M- Kellyn Acosta (LAFC)
26. F- Haji Wright (Antalyaspor)

* super wildcard Paxton Aaronson (Philly) if Robinson doesn't go.

There are some really good players left off the list and that is a good sign!

Last edited:
I've got two and a half differences from you, 08...

3. GK- Gaga Slonina (Chicago Fire from Chelsea)
6. D- *Miles Robinson (Atlanta)
9. D- Shaq Moore (Nashville)
17. M- Djordje Mihailovic (Montreal)
22. F- Tim Weah (Lille)

* John Brooks (Wolfsburg) if Robinson can't go.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
I’ll take Sean Johnson as the 3rd keeper this time around. Slonina will be the keeper in ‘24 for the Olympics tho I bet.

Miles won't be ready, sadly. He was having his best year ever with Atlanta before rupturing the Achilles.

November 13

It will depend on who is available. We have because of injury not had our best 4 players (Pulisic, McKennie, Reyna, and Dest) on the pitch at the same time throughout all of qualifying.

We would be extremely lucky to have all 4 available for the WC.

I’ll take Sean Johnson as the 3rd keeper this time around. Slonina will be the keeper in ‘24 for the Olympics tho I bet.

I am thinking Johnson will be the pick. Coaches tend to prefer experience in backnover young raw talent.
I’ve seen a ton of both guys, a current and former Chicago Fire ‘keeper. I say go with Slonina. He’s at the same level already but with better physical tools. Incredibly mature for his age too. And since he’s a likely the #1, bring him as the #3 for experience. It’s not uncommon for many teams to do this with their wunderkinds who won’t see much time. See Ronaldo at the ‘94 WC with Brazil. Messi with Argentina in 2006.

Yep 26, but even still no way they take 4 keepers so it’s a matter of does Berhalter take 3 experienced guys or his top 2 plus GS who is the future to him to experience the WC so he’s been there before when he’s likely the starter come 2026.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Miles won't be ready, sadly. He was having his best year ever with Atlanta before rupturing the Achilles.

Not to mention that he became the first center back (ironically since Brooks who I left off) that I felt like had to be in the lineup.

Not going to lie, never thought I would say that two MLS guys were undoubtedly THE guys at an important position but I love his pairing with Zimmerman. I still think Richards will be strong but that pairing was becoming very solid.

I really thought about Aaron Long which I will put in now that I was reminded it is 26!

I am thinking Johnson will be the pick. Coaches tend to prefer experience in backnover young raw talent.

You are both probably right but it is my pick, dang it!

Totally agree he is the guy for the Olympics. Or take he and Turner (if the backup) as one of the over 23s.

That Olympic team will be salty!

I think this team has a chance to make some real noise this year. I’m hoping for final 8. Maybe semi’s if we get some breaks with the draw.

Oh, what ever happened to Klinnsman's kid and Bill Hamid?

By the looks of it Klinsman's kid is 25 and has only had 7 appearances for LA Galaxy. He does not seem to be on the radar for the national team.

Hamid failed in Demark and is back with DCU.

I think the 5 keepers with a chance of going to the WC are Steffen, Turner, Slonina, Johnson, and Horvath. Unless 3 of them get injured I don't think anyone else is on the radar.

I think this team has a chance to make some real noise this year. I’m hoping for final 8. Maybe semi’s if we get some breaks with the draw.

From what I am seeing if we want to realistically advance we are gonna need to win the group. Winners face runner up from Group A and runners up face winner from group A. Group A has the Netherlands which would be a tough team to beat, but they are not very deep with Quatar, Ecuador, and Senegal all being solid but beatable teams.

Reactions: HawkNester
From what I am seeing if we want to realistically advance we are gonna need to win the group. Winners face runner up from Group A and runners up face winner from group A. Group A has the Netherlands which would be a tough team to beat, but they are not very deep with Quatar, Ecuador, and Senegal all being solid but beatable teams.

Given the youth and inexperience at the WC I’ll be happy with just getting out of the group. ‘26 my expectations will be much higher with a seasoned squad.

Given the youth and inexperience at the WC I’ll be happy with just getting out of the group. ‘26 my expectations will be much higher with a seasoned squad.

Maybe but we still won't likely have anything close to the firepower of many of Europe and South America's top squads.

As Berhalter noted the value of England's squad on the transfer market is about a billion dollars.

We have a few decent to good players in top 5 leagues. These European sides have entire squads who are stars in those leagues.

There are 2 advantages we have. One is that soccer is a low scoring game which means luck is more likely to play a part. The second is a lot of European players view national team duty sort of like American athletes would regard playing in an all star game.

Last edited:
By the looks of it Klinsman's kid is 25 and has only had 7 appearances for LA Galaxy. He does not seem to be on the radar for the national team.

Hamid failed in Demark and is back with DCU.

I think the 5 keepers with a chance of going to the WC are Steffen, Turner, Slonina, Johnson, and Horvath. Unless 3 of them get injured I don't think anyone else is on the radar.

Oh, I guess I wasn't suggesting those two join the squad. I was curious.

I had no clue Klinnsman was with the Galaxy. I thought he was still with Hertha. Whoops. I even watched part of the friendly against Chivas last night which, sure enough, he was playing in.

I felt like Hamid had a very outside shot after Howard/Guzan. Too bad he couldn't stick in Europe. Always thought he was a good shot stopper.

Here is mine

3. GK- Sean Johnson (New York)
6. D- Aaron Long (New York)
9. D- Shaq Moore (Nashville)
17. F/M-Paul Arriola (Dallas)
22. F- Tim Weah (Lille)
23. F-Jesus Ferrara (FC Dallas)
24. F- Ricardo Pepi (Augsburg)
25. M-Kellyn Acosta (LAFC)
26. D-CCV

I forget how many over 23's you get for the Olympics but I wouldn't use one on a keeper when you have Slonina available.

I believe you still only get 3 but typically they don't use any of the "regular" call ups. Brazil used Neymar because it was gold or bust for them when hosting.

For example, we used Brian McBride after he had kind of wrapped up his international duty and maybe even was done at Fulham. I can't remember now.

That said, I think we are going a little more aggressively at the Olympics after failing to qualify for the last couple. I'm curious to see who they bring in.

I was suggesting that if they aren't really going after name players that are field players, why not throw a bone to your backup keeper?

Maybe but we still won't likely have anything close to the firepower of many of Europe and South America's top squads.

As Berhalter noted the value of England's squad on the transfer market is about a billion dollars.

We have a few decent to good players in top 5 leagues. These European sides have entire squads who are stars in those leagues.

There are 2 advantages we have. One is that soccer is a low scoring game which means luck is more likely to play a part. The second is a lot of European players view national team duty sort of like American athletes would regard playing in an all star game.

I totally recognize that I am sounding like a homer here with rose colored glasses. However...

I do think there is going to be some fantastic chemestry built between the core of our guys who will be really just getting into their prime in 26'. With England being as talented as they are. Do they turn their roster over a bit more? Does everyone understand their national team role?

Oh I’m not suggesting we should aim to win the whole thing in 4 years, but a quarterfinal berth at least should be the goal.

In terms of talent, we possibly have the most talented u-23 generation of players we’ve ever had, with more and more of them showing up in European clubs, and some even contributing to champions league squads. Obviously not at a top level of the best European sides, but we have a great chance to make some noise at the next 3 WCs.

Totally forgot this. And teams will have 5 substitutions for the first time too.
Awesome. Of all the Covid changes, this is the one I like the best. It adds so much more to the strategy coaches can use. I really hope they keep the increased number of substitutes as a permanent rule because I really think it added a lot to the matches with coach's ability to change strategies with personnel given the flow of the game.

*Of course, this leads to even more abuse of stalling at the end of the game with flopping and long walks on the beach to get off the field. But, of course, all that could be ended if they would just stop the clock when the ball is not in play and get rid of injury time altogether.

You are both probably right but it is my pick, dang it!

Totally agree he is the guy for the Olympics. Or take he and Turner (if the backup) as one of the over 23s.

That Olympic team will be salty!

I forget how many over 23's you get for the Olympics but I wouldn't use one on a keeper when you have Slonina available.
The incredible thing is that the kid that started in goal and did so well for the USYNT is another Chicago Fire Academy kid, and is Slonina’s current back-up at the Fire. Chris Brady is his name, and HE already had a bid from Nottingham Forrest rejected by the Fire. He’ll be starting next year, when Slonina goes to Chelsea.

But the reason I hopped on is that the target striker will be settled, if Jordan “Pefok” Siebatcheu keeps this up. Scored in the DFB Cup opener last week, and just scored the only goal of the first half of Union Berlin’s Bundesliga opener vs powerhouse rHertha Berlin on ESPN.

Also, Gio Reyna will be on ABC with Borussia Dortmund at 11:30 CT.

Last edited:
  • Love
Said it all game this morning. Tyler Adams destroyed the midfield.

Aaronson OFFICIALLY scores. Still don't know how the first one didn't count.

Annnnd the dude who just keeps scoring.

• Love
Ooh also forgot. A brace for both Haji Wright and Josh Sargent. Josh will try to make a case to be on the flight with his play at Norwich.

ADVERTISEMENT