ADVERTISEMENT

***Official United States 2022 World Cup Roster Thread***

One player I'd like to see get a look is Andrew Gutman. He was out for a considerable time with an injury this year, but when on the pitch he's probably been Atlanta United's most consistently good player.

Said it all game this morning. Tyler Adams destroyed the midfield.

Aaronson OFFICIALLY scores. Still don't know how the first one didn't count.

Annnnd the dude who just keeps scoring.

I think Pefok and Aaronson are right now 2 of our better players but they didn't see that much action during qualifying. Aaronson I've been watching and that dude just does so much work on the press that he creates goals that way. He also takes some pretty good spot kicks, 2 of his assists have come off spot kicks and the other assist and his most recent goal came off running hard and never giving up on the ball. (He should have another goal but it was unjustly ruled an own goal.)

So I'm hoping that Berhalter recognizes this and makes sure they are in the lineup for the WC roster.

Ooh also forgot. A brace for both Haji Wright and Josh Sargent. Josh will try to make a case to be on the flight with his play at Norwich.

I'm done with Sargent honestly. He can score in the 2nd division but disappears when he has to play in top divisions. Also more importantly can't score in international play.

This has been his MO his entire career.

At #9 I would say our players should be Pefok, Wright, and Ferreria.

I'm done with Sargent honestly. He can score in the 2nd division but disappears when he has to play in top divisions. Also more importantly can't score in international play.

This has been his MO his entire career.

At #9 I would say our players should be Pefok, Wright, and Ferreria.

I'm still not sold on Ferreria and I agree with you on Sargent. I am not done with him, per se, because he is so young but he is not on my flight to Qatar.

I also wonder if we need a formation change to either a 5-3-2 or a 3-5-2. Spread the role of the #9 a bit.

I think Pefok and Aaronson are right now 2 of our better players but they didn't see that much action during qualifying. Aaronson I've been watching and that dude just does so much work on the press that he creates goals that way. He also takes some pretty good spot kicks, 2 of his assists have come off spot kicks and the other assist and his most recent goal came off running hard and never giving up on the ball. (He should have another goal but it was unjustly ruled an own goal.)

So I'm hoping that Berhalter recognizes this and makes sure they are in the lineup for the WC roster.
With 26 man rosters I think both are safely in. Would be a tougher choice between Pefok/sargent with 3 fewer spots.
if Aaronson continues to play this way, he’ll make a strong push to start, where before I thought he was a super sub.
I'm still not sold on Ferreria and I agree with you on Sargent. I am not done with him, per se, because he is so young but he is not on my flight to Qatar.

I also wonder if we need a formation change to either a 5-3-2 or a 3-5-2. Spread the role of the #9 a bit.
Unfortunately, I can’t get on board with any formation needing 3 CBs. We just don’t have 3 guys I trust right now, especially with no Miles.

The striker battle is definitely heating up.

In defense of Sargent, the last 2 seasons(Norwich and Werder Bremen) he has played on the worst team in the league which isn't great for a striker. I consider The Championship a slightly higher league than MLS. I think Sargent's work rate is really good. I think he does what Gregg likes in a striker, very much like Ferreria. If he keeps it up he might find a place on the plane.

I think the 3 on the plane are Ferreria, Pefok and either Sargent or Pepi. I really wish Pepi would get something going but it just hasn't worked in Germany as of yet

With 26 man rosters I think both are safely in. Would be a tougher choice between Pefok/sargent with 3 fewer spots.
if Aaronson continues to play this way, he’ll make a strong push to start, where before I thought he was a super sub.

Unfortunately, I can’t get on board with any formation needing 3 CBs. We just don’t have 3 guys I trust right now, especially with no Miles.

Agreed with the 3 CB problem. I guess mine would be Zimmermann, Richards and CCV (maybe Long) but it also takes away Dest and Jedi. Thinking outside the box, maybe you play that with only 1 traditional CB? I don't know, probably won't work but I am really on board with 2 forwards being paired closer together.

Maybe an old school 4-4-2 then?

Gregg's problem :)

Agreed with the 3 CB problem. I guess mine would be Zimmermann, Richards and CCV (maybe Long) but it also takes away Dest and Jedi. Thinking outside the box, maybe you play that with only 1 traditional CB? I don't know, probably won't work but I am really on board with 2 forwards being paired closer together.

Maybe an old school 4-4-2 then?

Gregg's problem :)
Good problem to have, and mitigated by having 5 subs per game instead of 3. Right now I think 9 of 11 string spots are spoken for - weah, pulisic up top, Weston, Tyler and Musah in the midfield, probably Dest, Walker and Antonee in the back. Turner is the GK at present.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08

Ok let me amend what I'm saying.

Sargent is not on my list for Qatar and I don't support him being on the roster for any important USMNT matches UNTIL he can demonstrate he can score regularly in the first division.

I'm always willing to change my mind on a player when the results change. But Sargent for years has been the guy to light up the score sheet in the 2nd division and disappear the moment his team gets promoted to the first division. It happened in Germany and it's happened in England.

And he hasn't really scored in important USMNT matches either despite numerous opportunities.

Ok let me amend what I'm saying.

Sargent is not on my list for Qatar and I don't support him being on the roster for any important USMNT matches UNTIL he can demonstrate he can score regularly in the first division.

I'm always willing to change my mind on a player when the results change. But Sargent for years has been the guy to light up the score sheet in the 2nd division and disappear the moment his team gets promoted to the first division. It happened in Germany and it's happened in England.

And he hasn't really scored in important USMNT matches either despite numerous opportunities.
Just to play devils advocate, he’s all of 22 years old; there’s plenty of time for him.

with 26 man WC rosters, think it’s likely 4 strikers go to Qatar. i think Jesus, Pefok, PepI and Sargent are the 4. Tillman could pass one of them if he continues to score.

I haven't followed Pefok as closely, but Aaronson is a top 5 player for the USMNT now. I'm starting to think he's more valuable than Pulisic.

I haven't followed Pefok as closely, but Aaronson is a top 5 player for the USMNT now. I'm starting to think he's more valuable than Pulisic.
I’m just glad we have players pushing each other for spots. Lack of competition was a major reason for missing in ‘18.

Reactions: SI_NYC
Just to play devils advocate, he’s all of 22 years old; there’s plenty of time for him.

with 26 man WC rosters, think it’s likely 4 strikers go to Qatar. i think Jesus, Pefok, PepI and Sargent are the 4. Tillman could pass one of them if he continues to score.

I would rather have Zardes as the 4th for the experience.

He is certainly in better form right now. But he has a coach that believes in him, a system that's suited to him, and he plays more. Honestly as a Chelsea fan I've lost confidence in Tuchel. It would be one thing if it was just Pulisic but pretty much every attacking player has slowly regressed under him. 3 games in and no forward players have scored yet.

I would rather have Zardes as the 4th for the experience.

He is certainly in better form right now. But he has a coach that believes in him, a system that's suited to him, and he plays more. Honestly as a Chelsea fan I've lost confidence in Tuchel. It would be one thing if it was just Pulisic but pretty much every attacking player has slowly regressed under him. 3 games in and no forward players have scored yet.

I forgot Zardes, and I do think he’s on the roster for sure.

If sargent gets going I think he sneaks in.

I forgot Zardes, and I do think he’s on the roster for sure.

If sargent gets going I think he sneaks in.

Meh he's in the 2nd division this year. . . He has to score regular in the 1st division to change my mind about him. He's just a player who scores against weak opposition and disappears against strong opposition.

Score regular in the first division first than you will be get a shot at meaningful games in the USMNT jersey.

Meh he's in the 2nd division this year. . . He has to score regular in the 1st division to change my mind about him. He's just a player who scores against weak opposition and disappears against strong opposition.

Score regular in the first division first than you will be get a shot at meaningful games in the USMNT jersey.

Perhaps, but if scoring in the first division is your criteria, you’re not taking many strikers than.

Sargent gets the benefit of the doubt for now because he played for a team that was woefully unprepared for the EPL year, and at age 22, still has a lot of room for growth potentially.

Perhaps, but if scoring in the first division is your criteria, you’re not taking many strikers than.

Sargent gets the benefit of the doubt for now because he played for a team that was woefully unprepared for the EPL year, and at age 22, still has a lot of room for growth potentially.

There is enough. No question Striker is one of our least talent positions but there is enough to take with us.

Pefok scores, Wright Scores, Ferreira scores in the MLS.

Honestly finding a good striker is kind of like finding a good quarterback in the NFL. There are not that many in the world. Fortunately it's not as necessary for soccer as a QB is for the NFL. Up until they got Halland, Man City was winning titles without a good #9.

There is enough. No question Striker is one of our least talent positions but there is enough to take with us.

Pefok scores, Wright Scores, Ferreira scores in the MLS.

Honestly finding a good striker is kind of like finding a good quarterback in the NFL. There are not that many in the world. Fortunately it's not as necessary for soccer as a QB is for the NFL. Up until they got Halland, Man City was winning titles without a good #9.

Wright is scoring in the Turkish league, Jesus is in MLS, are two of the guys you’ve mentioned tho, I’d argue both are equivalent to Championship football.

We have a very talented group of young guns who should only continue to improve. If we have genuine ambitions to actual contend at WCs, good strikers are a must.

This WC, my goal is to simply get out of the group stage. My ambitions are higher in ‘26. But the lack of a quality striker has hamstrung the USMNT for a decade now.

City is a bad comparison, as they still had decent strikers, Haaland is simply on another level, and they were already one of the most talented clubs in the world.

Wright is scoring in the Turkish league, Jesus is in MLS, are two of the guys you’ve mentioned tho, I’d argue both are equivalent to Championship football.

We have a very talented group of young guns who should only continue to improve. If we have genuine ambitions to actual contend at WCs, good strikers are a must.

This WC, my goal is to simply get out of the group stage. My ambitions are higher in ‘26. But the lack of a quality striker has hamstrung the USMNT for a decade now.

City is a bad comparison, as they still had decent strikers, Haaland is simply on another level, and they were already one of the most talented clubs in the world.

Maybe but I think both have scored more recently in internationals than Sargent who blew sitters the last time I saw him in a USMNT shirt.

Maybe but I think both have scored more recently in internationals than Sargent who blew sitters the last time I saw him in a USMNT shirt.

Strikers are a funny group in general. Sargent seemed like he was doing just about everything but scoring for USMNT, moving well, finding good spots, just wasn’t finishing. And last year just was brutal for his confidence with how Norwich performed.

Just to be clear, I won’t complain if he is left off the roster in November. Just that if he stays hot to start the season he should enter the conversation.

Vazquez scored again for Cincy tonight against Club America. I hoped he had a shot over Pepi. I don't get how Pefok is not in camp.
Yeah, I don't get not having Pefok getting a look after what he's done. Give me a guy who's making it happen vs a guy I hope can eventually make it happen. I'll take the guy who eventually makes it happen at a later date.

Yeah, I don't get not having Pefok getting a look after what he's done. Give me a guy who's making it happen vs a guy I hope can eventually make it happen. I'll take the guy who eventually makes it happen at a later date.

Will see - this isn’t the final WC roster so obviously not set in stone. Could have been a situation where GB wants Pefok for sure, but wants to give plenty of run for the others to fill out the roster at that position; or maybe the club asked to hold on to him for some reason, idk.

Expected to see him this week also, but will withhold judgment for now. ST is one position with the most question marks and only have two games to answer them.

Will see - this isn’t the final WC roster so obviously not set in stone. Could have been a situation where GB wants Pefok for sure, but wants to give plenty of run for the others to fill out the roster at that position; or maybe the club asked to hold on to him for some reason, idk.

Expected to see him this week also, but will withhold judgment for now. ST is one position with the most question marks and only have two games to answer them.

That is why I am really confused how you leave both Vazquez and Pefok out. Like you said, there may be more to the story.

Reactions: sober_teacher
That is why I am really confused how you leave both Vazquez and Pefok out. Like you said, there may be more to the story.

It’s such an unusual year regarding this as well; just have a sense there’s more than normal going on behind the scenes.

If it was me I'd like to see these guys playing with the group going to the WC to see how they fit together. So, if they aren't there the odds of them being on the roster seem to be very small.

If it was me I'd like to see these guys playing with the group going to the WC to see how they fit together. So, if they aren't there the odds of them being on the roster seem to be very small.

Hard to say. We’re already missing Antonee due to injury but he’s in so long as he’s healthy, I assume Richards is in as well if healthy. And there’s almost always a guy or two who gets included at last min.

I agree I’d have expected to see him however.

Well... after two underwhelming warmup games (underwhelming is a nice statement!) Who is in and who is out?

I have a hard time figuring out how to interpret the results from this camp. Just watching the Saudi game now - for some reason FS1 aired it on delay. But this is just an odd pair of build-up games in this window. Basically a normal international window, but it's the last time they'll be together until the WC camp in 6 weeks or so. Normally these games would be part of the normal WC preparations and we'd know this was the final roster barring any injuries. Not the case here, and thank goodness it is not as no Antonee, no Musah would be a killer.

anyone know why there were virtually no fans allowed?

I have a hard time figuring out how to interpret the results from this camp. Just watching the Saudi game now - for some reason FS1 aired it on delay. But this is just an odd pair of build-up games in this window. Basically a normal international window, but it's the last time they'll be together until the WC camp in 6 weeks or so. Normally these games would be part of the normal WC preparations and we'd know this was the final roster barring any injuries. Not the case here, and thank goodness it is not as no Antonee, no Musah would be a killer.

I didn't get to watch at all but continuing on your point, this is another reason why I hate the WC in Qatar. Everything feels off. No normal camp. No normal warmup games. Guys are in the middle of their club seasons. Just not a fan...

Fans were allowed, but the locals didn’t give a crap about two foreign teams playing.

I didn't get to watch at all but continuing on your point, this is another reason why I hate the WC in Qatar. Everything feels off. No normal camp. No normal warmup games. Guys are in the middle of their club seasons. Just not a fan...
I still find it hilarious that no one at FIFA apparently gave any thought about the WC...in Qatar...in the height of summer; until months after the fact.

I said during WCQ - I think we're going to see some weird results during group stage due to this odd WC prep.

I still find it hilarious that no one at FIFA apparently gave any thought about the WC...in Qatar...in the height of summer; until months after the fact.

I said during WCQ - I think we're going to see some weird results during group stage due to this odd WC prep.

At the beginning they said it would still be in the summer... no big deal right? Who didn't want 120 degrees?

I think FIFA realized but the bribe money was way too good.

Alright, here are my updated picks before they choose the team. Might do it one more time if more comes out on injuries. My original picks are on the 2nd post.

1. GK- Matt Turner (clear #1)
2. GK- Zack Steffen
3. GK- Ethan Horvath
4. D- Chris Richards
5. D- Walker Zimmermann
6. D- Sergino Dest
7. D- Antonee Robinson
8. D- Joe Scally
9. D- Tim Ream
10. D- Reggie Cannon
11. M- Weston McKennie
12. M- Yunus Musah
13. M- Tyler Adams
14. M- Luca de la Torre
15. F/M- Gio Reyna
16. M- Malik Tillman
17. M- Gianluca Busio
18. F/M- Jordan Morris
19. F- Christian Pulisic
20. F- Jordan Pefok
21. F- Brenden Aaronson
22. F- Tim Weah
23. D- Cameron Carter-Vickers
24. F- Brandon Vazquez
25. M- Kellyn Acosta
26. F- Haji Wright

I realize some have zero shot to make it but I think some guys have played their way out. We have some good depth but it's all about finding the right combos.

It can't be worse than the last 2 games.

Alright, here are my updated picks before they choose the team. Might do it one more time if more comes out on injuries. My original picks are on the 2nd post.

1. GK- Matt Turner (clear #1)
2. GK- Zack Steffen
3. GK- Ethan Horvath
4. D- Chris Richards
5. D- Walker Zimmermann
6. D- Sergino Dest
7. D- Antonee Robinson
8. D- Joe Scally
9. D- Tim Ream
10. D- Reggie Cannon
11. M- Weston McKennie
12. M- Yunus Musah
13. M- Tyler Adams
14. M- Luca de la Torre
15. F/M- Gio Reyna
16. M- Malik Tillman
17. M- Gianluca Busio
18. F/M- Jordan Morris
19. F- Christian Pulisic
20. F- Jordan Pefok
21. F- Brenden Aaronson
22. F- Tim Weah
23. D- Cameron Carter-Vickers
24. F- Brandon Vazquez
25. M- Kellyn Acosta
26. F- Haji Wright

I realize some have zero shot to make it but I think some guys have played their way out. We have some good depth but it's all about finding the right combos.

It can't be worse than the last 2 games.

Mostly agree but would make the following changes:

GK Sean Johnson over horvath
RB yedlin over cannon - yedlin would bring valuable WC experience to a young roster
F - Arriola over Vazquez - just think Arriola brings positional versatility
D - long over Ream

1. GK- Zack Steffen (Middlesborough from Man City)
2. GK- Matt Turner (Arsenal)
3. GK- Sean Johnson (New York)
4. D- Chris Richards (Crystal Palace)
5. D- Walker Zimmermann (Nashville)
6. D- Aaron Long (New York)
7. D- Sergino Dest (Barcelona)
8. D- Antonee Robinson (Fulham)
9. D- Shaq Moore (Nashville)
10. D- Reggie Cannon (Boavista)
11. M- Weston McKennie (Juventus)
12. M- Yunus Musah (Valencia)
13. M- Tyler Adams (Leeds)
14. M- Luca de la Torre (Celta Vigo)
15. F/M- Gio Reyna (Dortmund)
16. M- Christian Roldan (Seattle)
17. F/M-Paul Arriola (Dallas)
18. F/M- Jordan Morris (Seattle)
19. F- Christian Pulisic (Chelsea)
20. F- Jordan Pefok (Union Berlin)
21. F- Brenden Aaronson (Leeds United)
22. F- Tim Weah (Lille)
23. F-Jesus Ferrara (FC Dallas)
24. F- Ricardo Pepi (Augsburg)
25. M-Kellyn Acosta (LAFC)
26. D-CCV

Above was mine from early August

I would add Deandre Yedlin for sure. He is a locker room guy and the one player with WC experience. Not 100% on Reggie Cannon. LB is where I am confused. It could be Sam Vines but I think GG will just play Dest there if there is an injury or suspension. That would open up a spot for Joe Scally would I thought was a bit of a bright spot from yesterday however that is a lot of RBs. Malik Tilman and Mark Mackenzie did nothing this window to help their case so think they are out.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Mostly agree but would make the following changes:

GK Sean Johnson over horvath
RB yedlin over cannon - yedlin would bring valuable WC experience to a young roster
F - Arriola over Vazquez - just think Arriola brings positional versatility
D - long over Ream

First two I can get behind and would be fine with. Maybe Arriola. I just don't see it with Long.

I also wanted to add that Roldan could still slide into that 26th guy role. He can play anywhere in the midfield. Still wouldn't be shocked to see him make it.

I also wanted to add that Roldan could still slide into that 26th guy role. He can play anywhere in the midfield. Still wouldn't be shocked to see him make it.

I wouldn’t either - we don’t have a 6th midfielder I feel super confident in.

Busio is another guy I wouldn’t mind seeing also.

ADVERTISEMENT