ADVERTISEMENT

***** Official White Sox 2019 Thread *****

I was only able to watch the US until the end of the Sox game when we left the bar. I saw our first goal, I need to go find some highlights. What's your take on the new manager?

Cautiously optimistic. He was a thinking man’s player, and got results out of a small MLS squad with rookies and outcast players. Vermes of KC was my choice, but he did have so many more resources at his disposal.

Nice win over Cubs today to wrap up the first half.
Jiminez seems to enjoy hitting game winning homers vs the Cubs.
Sox have one more loss than the Cubs at the break..not bad for a rebuilding developmental season.

Reactions: Mattski
Getting bitch slapped on consecutive nights by a very mediocre Royals team is no bueno. REALLY hoping Eloy’s arm isn’t too screwed up.

When you think about it, its amazing they have the record they do with that starting staff. Outside of Giolito, its literally terrible. Like an ERA around 6.00 terrible.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
When you think about it, its amazing they have the record they do with that starting staff. Outside of Giolito, its literally terrible. Like an ERA around 6.00 terrible.

Can Rodon, Kopech, and Giolito manage to make it through next year all healthy? That might border on miraculous.

Can Rodon, Kopech, and Giolito manage to make it through next year all healthy? That might border on miraculous.

You have to either make a trade for a starter or sign a FA.

To me Nova has been the most disappointing. Pitching well below his career averages. Lopez has pretty much been a bust after a strong finish last year. At this point, they should seriously consider making him a reliever. He has a great fastball. If he was only pitching 1-2 innings every other day he could likely get it up in the high 90's. Covey is a lost cause.

Tough to expect much from either of those two next year. I dont see them being a large factor until 21.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
You have to either make a trade for a starter or sign a FA.

To me Nova has been the most disappointing. Pitching well below his career averages. Lopez has pretty much been a bust after a strong finish last year. At this point, they should seriously consider making him a reliever. He has a great fastball. If he was only pitching 1-2 innings every other day he could likely get it up in the high 90's. Covey is a lost cause.

Tough to expect much from either of those two next year. I dont see them being a large factor until 21.
I dont see them as being a buyer at this point but starting pitching right now is awful.

I hope to God that I never have to see Covey start a game again for the Sox.

Unless Giolito is in Cy Young form this team is just awful. He has come back to earth some and now they are in a downward spiral.

Ivan Nova is the ace right now?

They need more pitching. I dont see how you can count on Kopech or Rodon for anything.

Will be fun to watch next year need to add sp and a left handed bat.

We desperately need Zack Collins to pan out to provide that left handed bat. Maybe split time between 1B, DH and catcher. I saw a stat that the Mets pitchers currently have a higher batting average than our DH position....

I’m much more optimistic about next year than I was at the All-Star break. I think we will certainly be more competitive.

Looking forward to see who comes up in September. I cant see them keeping Lou Bob down much longer, he's not being challenged in minors at this point. Would love to see Madrigal get some ab's too.
Hoping Hahn can land a front line SP for next year and we might be in business. Gerrit Cole please!

Reactions: ThorneStockton
The good: Moncada and Anderson break out years. Giolito's turn around. McCann's emergence. Eloy flashes. Abreu's RBI's. Alex Colome, Aaron Bummer. Robert and Madrigal killing it in the minors.

The bad: injuries, especially at pitcher. Eloy's defense and inconsistencies at the plate chasing off speed stuff. Abreu's age, strikeouts and walk rate. Still missing key pieces to be a legitimate contender.

Reactions: Mattski
Looking forward to see who comes up in September. I cant see them keeping Lou Bob down much longer, he's not being challenged in minors at this point. Would love to see Madrigal get some ab's too.
Hoping Hahn can land a front line SP for next year and we might be in business. Gerrit Cole please!

You wont see him this year. Its like Jimenez, he will stay down until next year to buy the Sox another year of control.

Cole would be great but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ also among the sp available Dallas Keuchel,Cole Hammels,Stephen Strasburg,Jake Arireta,Felix Hernandez.Bats JD Martinez,Josh Donaldson,Nelson Cruz,Yasiel Puig(put him in right).A lot depends on what the Sox do about Abreu and Ivan Nova.

Who is gonna pitch? Need 2 or even 3 starters. Lopez is up and down.

We just need one more solid starter with Kopech and Rodon coming back, right?

We just need one more solid starter with Kopech and Rodon coming back, right?
Problem is who knows what we're going to get with either and Rodon will be late 2020 at best. That's a shoulder and an elbow for him now, guessing he's about done being a front line guy unless he can change his style.
Only problem with a Cole, Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Kopech starting 5 is no lefties... makes me think if they land a big time free agent RH starter, one of the young bucks is going to get traded.

Problem is who knows what we're going to get with either and Rodon will be late 2020 at best. That's a shoulder and an elbow for him now, guessing he's about done being a front line guy unless he can change his style.
Only problem with a Cole, Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Kopech starting 5 is no lefties... makes me think if they land a big time free agent RH starter, one of the young bucks is going to get traded.
Hamels would make sense not a high end guy at this stage but a solid 3-4 type.

Former GM Jim Bowden writing for The Athletic just had a list of the top 20 free agents and their likely landing place. He has OF Marcell Azuna at #6 with the White Sox his "Early best fit".

He doesn't have them listed on any other free agent as a "team expected to bid" - I hope he's wrong about the Sox not going after some of the better pitching.

Reactions: hawkssox1
Obviously you were not impressed that Zach Duke got a 3 year/$15 million deal. Or Jaime Navarro's 4 year/$20 million signing. Wow, you're hard to please.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT