ADVERTISEMENT

***Official World Cup 2018 Thread***

My team is Die Mannschaft. 50% German here and since Ireland is out and USA sucks I’m all in on Germany. Love their style and saying their names is fun too. Müller, Ozil, Kroos, Goretzka and others.

Any Twin Cities folks heading to Brits the next month to watch? If you haven’t been the atmosphere is top notch especially during WC. I’ll be heading there Sunday and next Saturday to watch Germany. Have a couple pints of Fuller and scotch eggs!

Reactions: HawkAttackDial911
KSA looked absolutely horrible. By the start of the 2nd half they had given up. Russia could have scored another 2-3 goals if they wanted.
Wouldn't be surprised if a few of the guys took a dive. Unlikely to get out of the group anyways. Russia was the only game that anybody would have thought they had a chance. I think pretty much all of the Saudi's play in Saudi Arabia and would guess they aren't particularly wealthy.

Interesting little graphic here. Here is the top selling World Cup team jersey in each state. Some are not surprising (France in Louisiana, Brazil in Portugese heavy Massachusetts and Latin heavy Florida, Peruvans of NYC in New York), but others are head scratchers. Egypt in South Carolina? Spain in Hawaii? Colombia in South Dakota?

Reactions: dgordo
My team is Die Mannschaft. 50% German here and since Ireland is out and USA sucks I’m all in on Germany. Love their style and saying their names is fun too. Müller, Ozil, Kroos, Goretzka and others.

Any Twin Cities folks heading to Brits the next month to watch? If you haven’t been the atmosphere is top notch especially during WC. I’ll be heading there Sunday and next Saturday to watch Germany. Have a couple pints of Fuller and scotch eggs!

I'm not from the Twin Cities but I was at Brits a few years ago for the Champions League final. Great bar

I'm sort of surprised Uruguay hasn't broken through yet. Maybe Egypt is better than I thought. I didn't see the betting lines for this one, but I would've thought Uruguay was a decent favorite.

With Russia already having a 5 goal differential and 3 points, I doubt these two teams want to draw.

Still sort of a gut punch though... Man, that would've thrown a total wrench into Group A.

Interesting little graphic here. Here is the top selling World Cup team jersey in each state. Some are not surprising (France in Louisiana, Brazil in Portugese heavy Massachusetts and Latin heavy Florida, Peruvans of NYC in New York), but others are head scratchers. Egypt in South Carolina? Spain in Hawaii? Colombia in South Dakota?

Purchased a Muller jersey last week and should be here shortly. Went with the white this time. Not sure if I’m a fan of the green/teal yet.

Still sort of a gut punch though... Man, that would've thrown a total wrench into Group A.
e0583517ff3f08d5687e6f60fa04c069.gif

And, there you go. Renaldo is a big player on the big stage.

I don't follow soccer at all, but was that a legitimate foul? He was barely touched if at all.

Yeah, knee to knee will get called every time. Especially as clear a contact, and as poorly timed as that was. Lighter side of contact, but it's not basketball yet.

Why didn’t he play?

I can only guess he is still a bit dinged up? I can't come up with any other reason. They used their last sub in the 82nd minute I think. it was still 0-0 then, so maybe they figured they could steal a point and keep him safe

Reactions: dgordo
Guys I like soccer but I can't watch this year's World Cup.

All it's going to do is remind me that the US isn't a part because it's team didn't feel like trying with a trip to the World Cup on the line against the worst team in the Hex. (And that was one of many games they didn't try in during qualification.)

I'm going to be angry about that for a while. . . at least until the US qualifies via their play on the pitch (and not automatic qualification) so they better qualify for 2022 otherwise I'm going to be pissed about this until 2030 minimum.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Our fantasy football draft order is determined by World Cup. I unfortunately drew Croatia and Mexico. /csb

All it's going to do is remind me that the US isn't a part because it's team didn't feel like trying with a trip to the World Cup on the line against the worst team in the Hex. (And that was one of many games they didn't try in during qualification.)

I'm going to be angry about that for a while. . . at least until the US qualifies via their play on the pitch (and not automatic qualification) so they better qualify for 2022 otherwise I'm going to be pissed about this until 2030 minimum.
Start watching Germany. Very efficient team. Fun to watch.

But yea, US soccer is not in a great place. If you would have told me in the 90's when US soccer appeared to be on the rise, that 20 years later we would be in the place they currently are in, I would have laughed.

The best part is watching knowing full well no matter the outcome I cannot be any more disappointed than I already am.

The US simply didn't deserve it on or off the field. I won't get too political, but we've pulled out of every meaningful international agreement and pissed off our closest allies. Glad these international events have been bad for the US so certain people can't use them as propoganda.

On the field, we didn't learn the lesson Mexico and the rest of the world learned last World Cup, that this isn't your Father's CONCACAF. Even T&T is a tough away day. Also, winning the Gold Cup in 2017 gave us false optimism. Chile is the South American champs, and they too were unable to overcome a slow start in qualifying.

Start watching Germany. Very efficient team. Fun to watch.

But yea, US soccer is not in a great place. If you would have told me in the 90's when US soccer appeared to be on the rise, that 20 years later we would be in the place they currently are in, I would have laughed.

If you would have told me after the 2014 WC that we wouldn't qualify in 2018 I would have laughed. Holy crap we blew through the 2014 Qualifying like it was no big deal at all.

Reactions: srams21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT