ADVERTISEMENT

***Official World Cup 2018 Thread***

Brazil and Switzerland on one side, US Open on the other. Only downside is the Huskers crap on the wall.

eSbL2A4h.jpg

Losing a lot of respect for Alexi Lalas this World Cup. Rooting for Mexico and now complaint about Swiss using tactical fouling against Brazil. If Neymer didn’t embellish every foul and spend more time on the ground than his feet every game they may get more calls. Yeah Swiss tugged and tripped everywhere but when it’s not getting called, it’s called strategy. Brazil could have had a PK late if the Brazilian didn’t flop in the opposite direction of being pushed. All he had to do was go down straight and it’s called. Good for the Swiss.

Losing a lot of respect for Alexi Lalas this World Cup. Rooting for Mexico and now complaint about Swiss using tactical fouling against Brazil. If Neymer didn’t embellish every foul and spend more time on the ground than his feet every game they may get more calls. Yeah Swiss tugged and tripped everywhere but when it’s not getting called, it’s called strategy. Brazil could have had a PK late if the Brazilian didn’t flop in the opposite direction of being pushed. All he had to do was go down straight and it’s called. Good for the Swiss.

Right there with you on this part - when it is not getting called, it’s called strategy.

That right there is a good thing for Hawkeye basketball fans to read over and over, but I know they’ll still whine about the physical play MSU and others get away with every year.

Very clunky, uneven game with Sweden winning 1-0 over South Korea.

Right there with you on this part - when it is not getting called, it’s called strategy.

That right there is a good thing for Hawkeye basketball fans to read over and over, but I know they’ll still whine about the physical play MSU and others get away with every year.

The problem with MSU is Iowa does get called for the fouls against them.

Very clunky, uneven game with Sweden winning 1-0 over South Korea.

Sounded like it. Again, VAR involved.

I look for Belgium to dispatch Panama. Man, Costa Rica was sorry and that makes the US failure all the worse. How the hell did we drop 4-0 to them? They are the worst hackers/divers in the tournament.

Panama hanging in there. It amazes me how these teams with vastly superior talent like Belgium has doesn't win these games 4 or 5-0

KDB comes up against teams parking the bus almost every week so I had a lot of faith in them breaking down Panama sooner or later. I can't see England or Tunisia faring much better. They have outstanding depth with quality second options at almost every single position. With the way things have started and some of the favorites left reeling, I don't think you can count them out of being in until the end. War Pig was disappointing in managing that squad

I don't expect England will win the WC, but it was rather stirring to watch the team sing God Save the Queen. I imagine you could be having a decent time at a London pub right now watching the match.

Part of me really wants to see Egypt defeat Russia. But, part of me is scared of what the Russian "fans", might do if they lose.

So is Russia legit?

Up 3-0 on who I thought was a historically decent Egypt team.
They are by far those most "underrated" team. Not sure if it makes them a threat. Egypt is a close second for most overrated, just behind Poland.

They are by far those most "underrated" team. Not sure if it makes them a threat. Egypt is a close second for most overrated, just behind Poland.
Theoretically we will get a better idea of how legit Russia is when they play Uruguay although there is the possibility that they will both be sitting on 6 points and already advanced. So we might see the stars rested and both teams going through the motions.

Reactions: lucas80
I wonder if the Saudi players are worried that beheadings may be in their future?

This Spain-Iran game was tame in the 1st half, but boy has it been wild the second. Spain looked never to get past a bunkered Iran, then Spain got lucky off a deflected clear to go up 1-0. Iran now has had to press, and everyone thought they had just scored until the linesman's flagain went up. VAR confirmed the lay off passer was a half step offside. Still 1-0. End-to-end ball.

EDIT: And as soon as I post there is the wildest goal line melee I have ever seen, including an Iranian sitting on the ball, and then another holding it between his knees. All while Spain hacks away trying to dislodge it.

Reactions: dgordo
So much for Peru being the Cinderella. France looks close if Griezmann can stop bungling all his decent chances. He's too good not to get it straightened out soon. The defense seemed very capable and organized and it appears Lloris appears a bit better than he looked at the end of the PL season and in the friendlies leading up. I think golden boot looks like a three horse race to me with Mbappe, Ronaldo and Kane.

Croatia is sneaky good and I'd not rule out that they can beat the flawed Argentina squad. However, Croatia will feel much better to simply control their own destiny against Iceland on the final day and not feel they need a win in this match and would be content with a draw.

Reactions: dgordo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT