ADVERTISEMENT

Officially call your shot: Iowa’s season results

StormHawk42

HR Legend
Nov 3, 2009
It’s opening night. Let’s talk results for our Hawks. What does everyone think about record and season outcome? Let’s assume that there are no major injuries because that’s always the disclaimer.

21-10 overall
11-7 B1G (T5th)
BTT semi’s
8/9 game in Big Dance and bounced 2nd round

I still think we’re a year away from being a real conference title contender. Still think we’re a bubble team but right side of it this year. Defense will hold us back.

I also have 21-10 11-7.. which I think puts them as last four in depending on BTT showing.. RPI will be an uphill battle this year

It’s opening night. Let’s talk results for our Hawks. What does everyone think about record and season outcome? Let’s assume that there are no major injuries because that’s always the disclaimer.

21-10 overall
11-7 B1G (T5th)
BTT semi’s

I still think we’re a year away from being a real conference title contender. Still think we’re a bubble team but right side of it this year. Defense will hold us back.

This seems about right. Add 1 win and stay out of the 8/9 seed game and sweet sixteen is likely, subtract a win and its bubble time and relying on BTT showing to get us in and sweating out selection Sunday.

But since this is just for fun, I am going to ramp up my usually cautious predictions/hopes:
1) November/December won't be smooth. Lots of minute distribution questions. Bear out then coming back will alter patterns. The 3 freshman will contribute but it will take time to sort out how
2) Despite being bumpy and maybe a few low level teams hanging around longer than we want them to, I think we start the BT season 2-0, get a road win against Iowa State and eventually head into January ready to roll.
3) BT season will be a grind with the ups and downs but Iowa depth at 3-5 evolves into a strength and a strong finish gives a 14-4 BT record, 2 BTT wins, and a sweet 16 appearance. Connor M is a solid backup at pg, Moss has a strong season, backup guards Ellingson and maybe Dailey contribute in limited roles The guard court isn't the weakness I thought it was going to be. Any injuries turn into an opportunity for the next guy to step up. Best season in decades, but it is only the start of the next great era of Hawkeye basketball success.

Reactions: iabcuda
25 - 6.....11 - 2 non-conference, 14 - 4 conference. I know that the 6 home games against the little sisters of the poor, might not be as bad as many think. Cayman Island tournament might give a boost to Iowa's RPI too....

21-10 overall
11-7 B1G (T5th)
BTT semi’s

That’s exactly where I have been on my pick.

I see 21 wins which probably means 19 in reality. Hard to imagine but it may be another NIT run and I say we win it this year.

OP is a very realistic expectation. I am hoping for more like 12-6 in conference with the more favorable schedule, and some real success post season, with at least one with in the B1G tourney and a win or two in the dance. We need guys to stay healthy and Baer to get back for the start of the difficult non-conference stretch.

I see 21 wins which probably means 19 in reality. Hard to imagine but it may be another NIT run and I say we win it this year.
This would be a disappointment in my opinion.. to keep this team on track they need some tournament experience!

Reactions: McLovin32
22-9 (11-7) regular season (10-6 road/neutral)
#5 Seed in B1G tournament

W - vs Chicago State
W - vs Alabama State
W - vs Grambling State
W - (N) Louisiana Lafayette
W - (N) TBD
L - (N) TBD
L - at Virginia Tech
W - vs Penn State
W - at Indiana
W - at Iowa State
W - vs Southern
W - (N) Drake
W - vs Southern Utah
W - (N) Colorado
W - vs Northern Illinois
W - vs Michigan
W - vs Ohio State
L - at Maryland
W - at Illinois
W - at Rutgers
L - vs Purdue
W - vs Wisconsin
W - at Nebraska
W - vs Minnesota
L - at Penn State
L - vs Michigan State
W - at Ohio State
L - at Michigan
W - vs Indiana
L - at Minnesota
L - vs Northwestern

Probably too good to be true, might need a lucky bounce or two.

25-6 (14-4) regular season

W - vs Chicago State
W - vs Alabama State
W - vs Grambling State
W - (N) TBD
L - (N) TBD
W - at Virginia Tech
W - vs Penn State
W - at Indiana
L - at Iowa State
W - vs Southern
W - (N) Drake
W - vs Southern Utah
W - (N) Colorado
W - vs Northern Illinois
W - vs Michigan
W - vs Ohio State
L - at Maryland
W - at Illinois
W - at Rutgers
W - vs Purdue
W - vs Wisconsin
W - at Nebraska
L - vs Minnesota
W - at Penn State
L - vs Michigan State
W - at Ohio State
L - at Michigan
W - vs Indiana
W - at Minnesota
W - vs Northwestern

Optimistically, I am thinking 24-7. 12-1 non-con and 12-6 Big Ten. Make it to Saturday of the B10 Tourney get a 6 seed and make Sweet 16.

Realistically, I have them going 21-10, 11-7 in the conference. Bounced in the first round of the B10 tourney (Frans bugaboo so far) and last team not playing play in game. Win first round (2nd round) lose 2nd round (3rd round).

This would be a disappointment in my opinion.. to keep this team on track they need some tournament experience!

I agree and hope we keep moving forward. I think next year is our year to shine. Get Wagner to be a true 3 this year and keep everyone healthy and more experienced. If you look at it, many of our main guys are still pretty young. I hope all of the 25-26 win expectations are correct, I just don't see it. We will get to see Fran's coaching ability this year, great recruiter IMHO, now let's see him get to next level as a coach and win a title.

12-1 at worst and 13-0 in the OOC
12-6 BT #4 finish
24-7 overall,
BTT Championship game
# 5-6 seed
this season starts a run of top 4 finishes and Sweet 16's and shots at Elite 8's and a FF.

Reactions: SotaHawk87
I have great faith in this team. My prediction is the same as nitewing's only even better. Final 4 this year.

I just don't see this team doing damage in the Big Dance this year. Next year and beyond for sure but this year I'd be happy with not being a play-in game. Winning our first game and probably losing our next.

I would love for this season to be a huge success but I think 21 wins and somewhere in the middle of the pack to the bottom of the upper tier in the Big Ten. Got to be realistic about expectations. We're going to be nasty the next several seasons though!

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Storm, I think your predictions are very practical and make a lot of sense. Conventional wisdom probably would have Iowa a year away from a "break out" season. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if 20-22 wins is about right for this team.

HOWEVER, the conventional wisdom of Iowa being a year away from breaking through that 20-22 win threshold has been said for several years now. Call me crazy, but I think this is the year Iowa surpasses expectations. Yes, I think this is the year we see a Fran-coached Iowa team start AND finish strong. And I'm going to lay out a few reasons why I think this year could be different. Before I do, though, I want to offer a simple disclaimer: I'm not suggesting by any stretch of the imagination that the season is a failure if Iowa doesn't win 25+ games or makes a deep run in March. I'm simply offering reasons why that COULD happen.

1. This is the first season in which I believe Iowa will have at least 4 players scoring in double figures. In fact, I predict 5 are possible, with JBo, Cook, Moss, Garza, and Baer being the likely candidates. (That list doesn't include Pemsl, who averaged almost 9 per game last season.) This team will be more balanced scoring than they've ever been under Fran.

2. This team is legitimately 10 deep.

3. PG play. So critically important to the success of any team. Iowa has never had a PG who was a legitimate scoring threat under Fran. This year they do. JBo should be poised to pick off where he left off at the end of last year and provide even greater scoring.

4. Iowa has a legitimate scoring threat in the post (Garza).

5. I believe the defense can improve to mediocre this year. I also think rebounding will improve as well.

Depth, balanced scoring, maturation of younger players (Moss, JBo, Cook, etc.), and slightly improved defense could add 4-5 more wins than expected this year and translate to a 3rd or 4th seed come tourney time.

21 regular season wins and round of 32 elimination is my most likely scenario. Hawks have to grow up significantly on defense.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
21 to 22 regular season wins, 11-7 in B1G play. Make the dance as 8-9 seed.
That would be a good season if they can get it done.

I have always viewed the success of a season through the B10 conference regular season standings first. A top 5 finish is a near automatic NCAA invite. The B10 is going to be a torture chamber this year but I believe the Selection Committee will give extra consideration and favor to the B10 contenders and invite 7 teams this year. With that in mind:

Iowa = T4th B10 (10-8), 1-1 BTT, 2-1 NCAA ...... 25-12 overall

Iowa, 22-11 (6 seed), 2 NCAA wins (Sweet 16)

Last edited:
13-5 in the Big Ten regular season. And I guess I'll say 26-7 overall before the Big Ten Tournament.

That's barring injury to JBo, and I'll even add Connor to that.

The biggest surprise we still have coming is how decently average our defense will be once we start seriously mixing up zones with man to man.

The biggest surprise we still have coming is how decently average our defense will be once we start seriously mixing up zones with man to man.

I'll add to that comment by saying the defense will mature throughout the year with so many young players. Cook and Pemsl at the 4 helps versus last year. Add in length and improvement and the recipe for a mediocre defense is there.

22- 9 in regular season and to the NCAA tourney but out in 2nd round. We have a nice team with a lot of depth, but we just don't have the crazy good athletes many top teams do. Plus, we are bound to have another injury or two, and we're going to have terrific pressure on our guards once we start playing decent teams.

24-7(13-5) regular season

W - vs Chicago State
W - vs Alabama State
W - vs Grambling State
W - (N) TBD
W - (N) TBD
W - at Virginia Tech
W - vs Penn State
W - at Indiana
W - at Iowa State
W - vs Southern
W - (N) Drake
W - vs Southern Utah
W - (N) Colorado
W - vs Northern Illinois
W - vs Michigan
W - vs Ohio State
L - at Maryland
W - at Illinois
W - at Rutgers
W - vs Purdue
W - vs Wisconsin
W - at Nebraska
L - vs Minnesota
W - at Penn State
L - vs Michigan State
W - at Ohio State
L - at Michigan
W - vs Indiana
L - at Minnesota
W - vs Northwestern

Glad we are aiming for mediocre D. :)

It will be tremendous improvement if we reach middle of the pack in the Big Ten. And with our offense, average D can take us very far. We're still rather young when you consider that of Baer, Moss, JBo, Connor, Pemsl, Cook, Kriener, Garza, Nunge only one is a junior. And those guys could easily be our top nine.

So, sure, I'm ok with aiming for mediocre this season. Middle of the Big Ten could be Top 50 Kenpom. And next year we can shoot for top 30.

Last season, KenPom

Wisconsin 9
Minnesota 22
Purdue 23
Northwestern 32
Illinois 35
Michigan State 37
Penn State 51
And on until finally....
Iowa 123

I'll guess:
Non-Conf- 10-3 (Ls to ISU, Va tech, and Cinci)
Conf: 12-6

Overall 22-9 heading into BTT and I'm figuring a 5-7 seed.

gotta get some KEY wins for this team.

21-10 overall
11-7 B1G (T5th)
BTT semi’s

76 Hoosiers lookout

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT