ADVERTISEMENT

Officials at NCAAs

goiahawkeyes

HR MVP
Mar 7, 2014
With all the heat the officials took this season I have to say that they did a great job this past weekend. Sure there were a few iffy calls (i.e. Marinelli's touch fall) but all in all these guys called a pretty clean/consistent tournament.

It's a tough job. You have to continuously make judgement calls while 50% of the crowd yells at you, 50% of the crowd cheers for their wrestler and 100% of the coaches are in your ear...constantly. They never get the appreciation for a job well done, but are the first to be thrown under the bus when things get a little questionable.

Just thought I'd do my part to give them credit for a job well done.

I have to agree, overall, they were better than most of the year, and it is a thankless job, but they did have a few very puzzling calls/matches thrown in there.

I don't know, I guess it was alright but I'm not sure I'd give them a thumbs up.
Here's a question, I thought the video reviews were supposed to be done by an independent reviewer? Did I dream that up?
I also thought the officials have the choice to review their own calls? Was it in the Retherford/Perry match where the takedown was "iffy"? For the life of me I don't know why they didn't review that takedown or the backpoints in the IMar match. All the talk about officials wanting to get the calls right for the kid yet saw few officials take a look themselves.

I'm not sure what the answer is but overall there was way too much block throwing throughout the whole tournament.

I wonder if they were told not to throw bricks during the finals. I don't recall one being thrown, and there were several "iffy" calls. Maybe everyone was out of them.

I thought the refereeing was pretty good.

The worst calls I saw were the stalling calls against Myles Amine in his match with Zahid in the semi's.

I have to agree, overall, they were better than most of the year, and it is a thankless job, but they did have a few very puzzling calls/matches thrown in there.
I think they were more "invisible" this year than they have been for a long time, even though it seems like there were plenty of issues, as there always will be with that many matches.

All Referee's at all levels are worth their weight in gold, IMO. Tough gig, no love, stuff happens fast and they're human, but without them there is no sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT