ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio Football Mom Tased and Arrested For Not Wearing a Mask At A Game

Criminal prosecution won't be for the mask, but for trespassing and resisting arrest.
Understood. In this case I’m guessing it will be. But many jurisdictions have resorted to fines which amounts to criminal prosecution. And we don’t yet have all the details on the charges against her. AFAIK.

I agree with you on prosecuting people for not wearing them. But I do think entities should have the right to require them and to ask people to leave if they don’t and charge them with trespassing if they won’t.

If the person then resides arrest and gets tazed...that’s on them.
100% agree.

Second is the fact that we have turned into a police state where not wearing a mask has become a crime. This is shameful. While I don’t dispute the general idea that masks are helpful, being compelled to wear one under the threat of prosecution seems like a big stretch to me. If it’s, say, a private grocery store where the owner insists on it as a criteria to enter I’m fine with that but to turn this simple thing into this huge ordeal at this game seems like we’ve jumped the shark.
The police state argument is BS. Being required to wear a mask in public under the current circumstances is akin to being required to follow traffic laws. (Or if you want an example on private property, following fire codes.) People driving unsafely put other drivers at risk as well as themselves. You would have a better argument if the only person being put at risk is the person refusing to wear a mask, but that is not the case.

Reactions: Tenacious E
How many black people get arrested by white LEOs each day? You’re insinuating they’d all be in the news and seen as an injustice. That’s simply not true.
No, I’m saying this specific incident and many like them were they happen to white people are not nearly as publicized as when they happen to blacks. We like to believe these things don’t happen to whites and only happen to blacks.

The police state argument is BS. Being required to wear a mask in public under the current circumstances is akin to being required to follow traffic laws. (Or if you want an example on private property, following fire codes.) People driving unsafely put other drivers at risk as well as themselves. You would have a better argument if the only person being put at risk is the person refusing to wear a mask, but that is not the case.
I don’t think it is as clear cut as that. People can mitigate the risk to others in other ways. Social distancing, hand sanitizer and reduced exposure time as examples. Wearing a mask so you don’t give SARS-CoV2 to someone you pass on the sidewalk is silly.

I mask that’s for sure. And part of it is just not to be an outlier and have someone see me in the store without one that knows what I do for a living. But almost all my instructions in public are very limited in scope and duration.

No, I’m saying this specific incident and many like them were they happen to white people are not nearly as publicized as when they happen to blacks. We like to believe these things don’t happen to whites and only happen to blacks.
I think the bigger issue is how big of a news item would this have been and what sort of public outcry would there have been if the officer placed her on the ground, placed a knee on her neck while waiting for back up and she died? Or if she pulled away, grabbed the taser while running away and the officer shot her in the back?

Reactions: RileyHawk
I
The issue I have is that this would have been national news if this was a Black civilian and a white officer. It would have been viewed again as systemic racism, the officer would have been vilified and athletes around the country would have pointed out how bad the cops are. I wish people could see how much the press fans the flames and controls the tempo of propaganda on issues they want to promote. This does not fit the profile. Again, if people just followed the rules and obeyed police officer requests, none of this would be an issue
Does the Today show count as national news? If it was white cop and black person refusing and dropping multiple F bombs in in front of kids she probably would have gotten her teeth knocked out one of the 5 or so times she said you're not arresting me. The funny thing is those rednecks filming thought the cop was in the wrong for doing his job. Nice high cut shorts to expose that classy upper thigh tattoo. Feel sorry for her kid, very thankful my parents weren't white trash.

Did I catch a "I'm going to call my God mother" I there? Now she's famous over this

Last edited:
Correct. She should be wearing a mask.

She should be wearing a mask, and when I see people not, it pisses me off. However, unless the laws are different in Ohio than Arizona, the police cannot arrest you for not wearing a mask. Here they can warn you or issue you a citation, but arrest? Nope.

How so? Masks seem to work as advertised. In public, you social distance...if you cant social distance, you mask! Obviously, the gal was NOT social distancing. However, she felt the rules didn’t apply to her.

She certainly looked social distanced to me. Her family was clearly much farther than 6 feet away from the nearest family.

She should be wearing a mask, and when I see people not, it pisses me off. However, unless the laws are different in Ohio than Arizona, the police cannot arrest you for not wearing a mask. Here they can warn you or issue you a citation, but arrest? Nope.

She was not arrested for not wearing a mask. There was a policy at the game that masks must be worn, so she was asked to put one on. She did not so she was asked to leave. She did not. So then she was arrested for trespassing.

She was not arrested for not wearing a mask. She was arrested for trespassing when she refused to comply with the school policy of wearing a mask. She was asked to leave, refused, and then it escalated.

"It is important to note, the female was not arrested for failing to wear a mask, she was asked to leave the premises for continually violating school policy," the police department said. "Once she refused to leave the premises, she was advised she was under arrest for criminal trespassing, she resisted the arrest, which led to the use of force." Thehill.com

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
I'm going to guess that she was told to put on the mask or leave and she refused to mask up. I bet he then told her she needed to leave or would be considered trespassing. Then when she failed to comply he tried to arrest her and she resisted which eventually led to being tasered. Not wearing a mask was not the issue she was arrested for it was her behavior and failure to comply that caused the issue. Had she put the mask on or left this wouldn't have happened.

Reactions: Jan Itor
Alecia Kitts drove an hour and a half from Marietta to Logan, Ohio to watch her son’s football game.

In the first quarter she was approached by an officer from the Logan Police Department because she was not wearing a mask.

The video below shows the three-minute encounter between Kitts and the officer.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
She certainly looked social distanced to me. Her family was clearly much farther than 6 feet away from the nearest family.
They were sitting “rump to rump” in the stands.....you better re-look the video. And everyone else in the vid has a mask on, too. I bet masks are “mandatory” in Ohio......as they are in Pennsylvania...which is impressively compliant, I am discovering.

Alecia Kitts drove an hour and a half from Marietta to Logan, Ohio to watch her son’s football game.

In the first quarter she was approached by an officer from the Logan Police Department because she was not wearing a mask.

Stupid people in this thread that think that this is fine

it’s insane
This vvvv. Barnstormers nails it...
If she would have just complied...

If she wouldn’t have resisted...

Oh, and if it’s just a mask wear one.
...And props to @NorthernHawkeye for actually being consistent on an issue for once.

They were sitting “rump to rump” in the stands.....you better re-look the video. And everyone else in the vid has a mask on, too. I bet masks are “mandatory” in Ohio......as they are in Pennsylvania...which is impressively compliant, I am discovering.

Are you trolling here? The family was rump to rump but there is large gaps between families.

She didn’t get tased for not wearing a mask! She got tased for resisting arrest.

[Speculating from here: Probably after she was asked to wear a mask, refused, then was asked to leave, refused, was then trespassing, still refused to leave, was being arrested for trespassing, resisted, then got tased].

Now, whether the requirement to wear a mask is justified is another question. But that cop didn’t make that rule. She picked her own fight refusing to comply. If she didn’t like the rule, don’t attend.

People with asthma are at a greater risk to develop more significant complications from COVID-19. Wearing a mask, while generally speaking, is meant to diminish the spread of COVID, it may also make symptoms less severe as it can reduce the amount of coronavirus particles inhaled.

People with mild, well-controlled asthma should have no difficulty complying with mask mandates.

Those with severe asthma should stay at home if at all possible, and avoid crowds.
To that last point, I'm ok with all at risk candidates wearing masks or choosing to stay home. Healthy people should not have to be so servile to a dictatorial state.

I attend my daughter's outdoor games wearing a mask...lowered. I just bring a bottle of water with me and avoid everyone like the plague. I'll even feign that I'm drinking, maybe pull out a bag of nuts. That's my out and I'm sticking to it.

If you have a pre-existing condition like asthma, just stay home and let the rest of the world function. Did I do that right?
Almost. All at risk people (over 70 or with pre-existing conditions) stay home. All others...MASK OFF and enjoy the outdoors.

So there are two things at issue here.

First if she didn’t want to wear the mask then so be it, unless it was a condition of admission into the game, which she wore to gain admission to the game, but then took off. But when asked to leave she probably just should have left. Or certainly she should have when the officer showed up. And she sure as hell shouldn’t be trying to resist. You can trespass on public property. If you are at a school event requiring a ticket to attend, and you do not have permission to attend the event but are there anyway, you are trespassing, just like you would be if you decided to play a "free" round of golf at a municipal golf course. I do have a question about trespassing on public property though. I don’t know the answer but it seems to me if we all pay taxes we all own these schools. Unless it was private.

Second is the fact that we have not turned into a police state where not wearing a mask has become a crime. This is shameful when people believe they are above the law and do not obey repeated warnings from the police and then resist arrest. This applies to people of all backgrounds, races, and socioeconomic status. While I don’t dispute the general idea that mMasks are helpful[.] Just a like a grocery store chain may set criteria for admission to its stores, so can a school district set criteria for admission to school events. It is amazing how people turn simple requirements into a huge ordeal when they should just follow the rules like everyone else. being compelled to wear one under the threat of prosecution seems like a big stretch to me. If it’s, say, a private grocery store where the owner insists on it as a criteria to enter I’m fine with that but to turn this simple thing into this huge ordeal at this game seems like we’ve jumped the shark.
FIFY

• Love
Reactions: ping72
It's ridiculous to be arrested over this, but people need to stop resisting arrest. You don't get to argue anymore when the cop says you're under arrest. It doesn't matter what you think about the reason.

giphy.gif

It's ridiculous to be arrested over this, but people need to stop resisting arrest. You don't get to argue anymore when the cop says you're under arrest. It doesn't matter what you think about the reason.
It's ridiculous that it got to the point where she was being arrested. As with nearly every time there is one of these videos, there was a build up to this until the person with the camera thought they should be recording. It's not like the cop came over with his hand cuffs in hand.

She leaves with no argument, not an issue. She puts on a mask right there.. possibly is allowed to stay, depends on the cop. No issue. She pushes the cop's arm away. Issue. Then finally the camera start filming.

Reactions: blhawk
It's ridiculous that it got to the point where she was being arrested. As with nearly every time there is one of these videos, there was a build up to this until the person with the camera thought they should be recording. It's not like the cop came over with his hand cuffs in hand.

She leaves with no argument, not an issue. She puts on a mask right there.. possibly is allowed to stay, depends on the cop. No issue. She pushes the cop's arm away. Issue. Then finally the camera start filming.

it sounds like that was not his first interaction with her during the game.

I must have missed the part where he shot her in the back or choked her to death with his knee.

You must have missed the part (intentionally) where Jacob Blake defies their orders repeatedly and goes for under his car seat to grab something.

Nobody is sticking up for the cops in the Floyd case. The problem is they have tricked people to believe that the Floyd case is the norm.

So there are two things at issue here.

First if she didn’t want to wear the mask then so be it. But when asked to leave she probably just should have. Or certainly she should have when the officer showed up. And she sure as hell shouldn’t be trying to resist. I do have a question about trespassing on public property though. I don’t know the answer but it seems to me if we all pay taxes we all own these schools. Unless it was private.

Second is the fact that we have turned into a police state where not wearing a mask has become a crime. This is shameful. While I don’t dispute the general idea that masks are helpful, being compelled to wear one under the threat of prosecution seems like a big stretch to me. If it’s, say, a private grocery store where the owner insists on it as a criteria to enter I’m fine with that but to turn this simple thing into this huge ordeal at this game seems like we’ve jumped the shark.

Well said. But if it's the schools rule, then folks should follow it... like what we expect from people at a private store.

But I do think it's insane to require a mask from someone socially distanced... Outside. Looked like a TON of space between people.

Myself in that situation.... I Would just wear the stupid mask.

Last edited:
Reactions: haw-key
To that last point, I'm ok with all at risk candidates wearing masks or choosing to stay home. Healthy people should not have to be so servile to a dictatorial state.

I attend my daughter's outdoor games wearing a mask...lowered. I just bring a bottle of water with me and avoid everyone like the plague. I'll even feign that I'm drinking, maybe pull out a bag of nuts. That's my out and I'm sticking to it.

Good point. The keep to lowering your mask in this situation..... Drink and eat constantly!

She wasn’t social distancing because this appeared to be family she was sitting near to. Do you socially distance in your home? Do you socially distance from your family when outside the home? I don’t social distance from my family. What’s the point? We live in the same house.
In my back yard....NO. In a public place....of course. Seems to me, stadium seating at a football game constitutes a “public place”........Again doc....I understand it is not “all about me” but my consideration for others. I guess that makes me a liberal.

Thats insane. She is outside and clearly sufficiently social distanced.
... and clearly unwilling to follow the regulations set forth at the event she attended.
Ever see the signs that read No shirt, no shoes, no service?
People who think clearly stated requirements for entry don’t apply to them are stoop.

In my back yard....NO. In a public place....of course. Seems to me, stadium seating at a football game constitutes a “public place”........Again doc....I understand it is not “all about me” but my consideration for others. I guess that makes me a liberal.
I don’t socially distance from my family even in a public place. But my family group does.

Like I said, one of the main reasons I mask is out of consideration for others and doing my part. I’m not real worried about getting it. Fact is I almost have to have had it already. I’ve been working around this damn thing for 6 months now. Or longer. While I have been wearing all my PPE, I can’t believe I have escaped it seeing over 300 patients a month on average.

ADVERTISEMENT