ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State 2022 commits

abby97

HR Heisman
Sep 16, 2010
Have you looked at the Buckeye commits for 2022? I'm not sure how that school gets the recruits they get and I'm not sure how the rest of the Big Ten can compete year in and year out when one school continues to have that advantage. No one else in the conference is even close to their recruiting.

Reactions: David1979
Have you looked at the Buckeye commits for 2022? I'm not sure how that school gets the recruits they get and I'm not sure how the rest of the Big Ten can compete year in and year out when one school continues to have that advantage. No one else in the conference is even close to their recruiting.
I've said this before. You limit the number to a cap of 20 annually and 75 total. This would free up the other 5 currently to choose another school. This trickle down would lessen the impact of hoarding at the top schools and add more talent at the less prominent ones. Another benefit, players have do decide earlier to get their spot on the bus. 😎❤️🏈

hawkeyes-win-780x405.png

The reason we haven't played you guys again is you can't win the West, not because we're ducking you...lol
I agree with that. Ferentz and team need to get the job done this season. Its been one thing to lose to Wisconsin so frequently but the losses against Northwestern and Purdue are piling up. Its not unreasonable to expect Iowa to win the West 2 out of 5 years something Northwestern is doing. Beating Wisconsin but losing to Northwestern and Purdue last year dropped what should have been a West Championship last year for Iowa.

As for Ohio St dominating recruiting. Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn St and Iowa only have themselves to blame. Iowa not winning the West for 5 years has lowered their national reputation. Penn St and Michigan failing to compete against Ohio St and with the upper echelons of college football has weakened them. One could argue Wisconsin has done as well as can be expected of them these last 5 years.

OSU is the only P5 school in a state that has 4x's the number of people that exist in Iowa. In addition, Ohio is the birthplace of football and high school football is top notch. In addition, they are a national program that allows them to get high end skill position talent from California, Texas and Florida.

If you have not lived in Ohio or spend extended time in Columbus, OSU is in an entirely different realm of recruiting and fandom than anyone else in the Big Ten. In fact, I'd argue OSU has been a classic underachiever within the playoff format based on the talent that they have every year.

OSU is a football factory has produced more consistently than most of the rust belt industries within the state!

OSU is the only P5 school in a state that has 4x's the number of people that exist in Iowa. In addition, Ohio is the birthplace of football and high school football is top notch. In addition, they are a national program that allows them to get high end skill position talent from California, Texas and Florida.

If you have not lived in Ohio or spend extended time in Columbus, OSU is in an entirely different realm of recruiting and fandom than anyone else in the Big Ten. In fact, I'd argue OSU has been a classic underachiever within the playoff format based on the talent that they have every year.

OSU is a football factory has produced more consistently than most of the rust belt industries within the state!
If we're having an underachiever competition, OSU isn't in the same league as teams like Michigan, Texas and USC who are perennial top 10 recruiters and have done absolutely nothing with it in the past 10 years.

Hawkisak —

you bring up some obvious points with regards to Ohio State being the only P5 school in Ohio and Ohio being a good recruiting ground. This is a topic that’s been talked about for decades amongst Big Ten fans. But that’s just one piece of the puzzle. Why is it that Nebraska was able to dominate college football for so many years and is considered a blue blood when they are the only P5 school in a state that produces less talent than Iowa? Why has UCLA in an unbelievably fertile recruiting area been down for as long as it has been? Why is it Wisconsin has consistently been as competitive and as good as they are when Wisconsin doesn’t produce that much more talent than Iowa? Why over the past so many years has Florida State and Miami floundered when they are in arguably the best talent rich state in the country? The point is it’s more than just how many good kids are in your home state. It’s having the right staff the right coaches having everybody on the same page etc. Listen to the little six minute video that’s in this thread and that tells you really all you need to know. I know nobody likes Nebraska around here and so you don’t like me bringing them up but if the NeBraska can be a blue blood in college football and I realize their prime days are way in the rearview mirror at this point but if Nebraska can have had the kind of success they’ve had in past decades then really any power five school in the country can duplicate their success with the right coaches and direction etc. because again Nebraska basically produces next to zero division one talent year after year.

Hawkisak —

you bring up some obvious points with regards to Ohio State being the only P5 school in Ohio and Ohio being a good recruiting ground. This is a topic that’s been talked about for decades amongst Big Ten fans. But that’s just one piece of the puzzle. Why is it that Nebraska was able to dominate college football for so many years and is considered a blue blood when they are the only P5 school in a state that produces less talent than Iowa? Why has UCLA in an unbelievably fertile recruiting area been down for as long as it has been? Why is it Wisconsin has consistently been as competitive and as good as they are when Wisconsin doesn’t produce that much more talent than Iowa? Why over the past so many years has Florida State and Miami floundered when they are in arguably the best talent rich state in the country? The point is it’s more than just how many good kids are in your home state. It’s having the right staff the right coaches having everybody on the same page etc. Listen to the little six minute video that’s in this thread and that tells you really all you need to know. I know nobody likes Nebraska around here and so you don’t like me bringing them up but if the NeBraska can be a blue blood in college football and I realize their prime days are way in the rearview mirror at this point but if Nebraska can have had the kind of success they’ve had in past decades then really any power five school in the country can duplicate their success with the right coaches and direction etc. because again Nebraska basically produces next to zero division one talent year after year.
Yep. It’s all about coaching. Bama, Clemson, OSU...they’re a bad hire away from losing elite status.

But some schools can get that status back more easily than others, you have to admit.

I've said this before. You limit the number to a cap of 20 annually and 75 total. This would free up the other 5 currently to choose another school. This trickle down would lessen the impact of hoarding at the top schools and add more talent at the less prominent ones. Another benefit, players have do decide earlier to get their spot on the bus. 😎❤️🏈
And that decision would mean in Division 1 FBS alone ~650 players that would have had scholarships won't.

Right now, the gap between Ohio St and the rest of the B10 is wider than the gap between Clemson and the rest of the ACC. Pretty crazy to think about. The league is truly Big 1, little 13.

I remember reading a rumor that Ohio St was either threatening to or planning to go independent bc of how badly the conference bungled the Covid situation and cost them a boatload of $$$. At this point, I'm really not sure what they're gaining by being in the B10. Bet they could make way more as an independent and schedule virtually any team they wanted.

As is, what'd they face...1 top 25 team before the playoffs last year? Indiana and that's it.

Why is it that Nebraska was able to dominate college football for so many years and is considered a blue blood when they are the only P5 school in a state that produces less talent than Iowa? ...I know nobody likes Nebraska around here and so you don’t like me bringing them up but if the NeBraska can be a blue blood in college football and I realize their prime days are way in the rearview mirror at this point but if Nebraska can have had the kind of success they’ve had in past decades then really any power five school in the country can duplicate their success with the right coaches and direction etc. because again Nebraska basically produces next to zero division one talent year after year.
This has been discussed to ad nauseum. Nebraska was able to "dominate" college football for sometime due to:
  1. They were able to sign players not eligible in other conferences. Nebraska started to see a step back after joining the Big 12 which required academic standards-- which is why the football program didn't want to join the Big 12 in the first place (only Big 8 school to do so.)
  2. They often had one game per year-- Oklahoma.
  3. Players were allowed to beat women, shoot at people, and get DUI's with little to no punishment.
  4. Their coach intervened in police matters and hid evidence from the police to protect his players
With being in the B1G and having to adhere to the same academic standards other P5 schools have in addition to social media and news not being able to be swept under the rug they are not going to be as dominate as they once were. Ever. They may have a year here or there just as Illinois does, but right now they are on a path of suck.... and most people love it.

Yep. It’s all about coaching. Bama, Clemson, OSU...they’re a bad hire away from losing elite status.

But some schools can get that status back more easily than others, you have to admit.
Yep, totally. I remember when USC was really good in the early 00s, people thought they would dominate forever. they had it all--in state talent, the cool factor, amazing campus, weather.

But they've been irrelevant since Pete Carroll left.

Recruiting is the lifeblood of all P5 schools. Some schools can bring in nothing but 4 and 5 star recruits every year. Other schools are developmental programs that have to recruit kids based potential and coach them to to play like upper echelon players. Yes, coaching is certainly part of the equation but having the blue blood reputation and fertile recruiting territory is often the difference between a good class and a great one. Nick Saban could not land the same level of recruits at Michigan State as he did and has at LSU and Alabama.

Honest question, is there some form of aggregator that sends out notifications when the team you are a fan of is mentioned or do people just lurk on other teams sites? I am curious, I don't lurk on other teams sites and rarely ever visit unless something occurs that drives that interest. I just wanted to know how people find it out.

Hawkisak —

Dinosaurs also used to roam the earth. This guy must be a Nebraska fan.

Three times in the last 30 years. Ohio State just happened to catch Iowa during their down seasons when they beat them.
Ohio State should be so ashamed that they lost to Iowa 3 times in 30 years that they should forfeit their last 50 years worth of results and shut down their program.....

• Haha
Reactions: Buck2427
Hawkisak —

This x 1000

Here's the thing:

The rest of the conference DOESN'T compete with OSU year in and year out.

It's Ohio State and then everybody else essentially just trying to have a chance.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Honest question, is there some form of aggregator that sends out notifications when the team you are a fan of is mentioned or do people just lurk on other teams sites? I am curious, I don't lurk on other teams sites and rarely ever visit unless something occurs that drives that interest. I just wanted to know how people find it out.
I lived in Iowa for 20 plus years after coming out to go to school in Fort Dodge ( before I moved back home to Columbus) and I have a lot of friends in Iowa that are Iowa fans, I lived in Ames as well and I have been to many games in Kinnick as the person I was dating at the time was an alum and had season tickets, so I would always chat with Iowa fans on this board and they never seemed to mind the perspective from someone who wasn't a fan of Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT