ADVERTISEMENT

Ok Cyclone fans, I have to admit

Campbell is in year 4 and now has depth across the board. Wins are the mark of success not NFL picks. ISU is staring a 10 win season squarely in the face this year. That is significant when you play everyone in conference.

IF Iowa State gets a 10 win season, it will primarily be because the Big XII is a joke of a conference anymore.

Reactions: Wadzinator
Zero chance that Iowa’s offense improves losing the two TEs.....ZERO! A third year starting QB that had a completion % in the 50s with those two to throw to, is what he is. The hawk wr group is below average which means if the OL is not super human then there are problems. Defenses are going to force Stanley to throw to beat them.

Hawk recruiting has been no better than ISU’s under Campbell, so where is this talent gap you speak of? I believe ISU under Campbell has done a better job of developing talent and building depth across the board. I get it that you know very little about ISU’s defense, so you wouldn’t have a clue about the best players on the defense. Peavy and Harvey were solid but nowhere near the best on defense. There are at least 5 draft choices that will take the field for ISU this year on defense.

OMG. This might be the most ignorant drivel I've read on here in quite some time. If you want to make some kind of argument that your team might win this year's game, that's fine, but you can't post this crap and expect to be taken seriously.

OMG. This might be the most ignorant drivel I've read on here in quite some time. If you want to make some kind of argument that your team might win this year's game, that's fine, but you can't post this crap and expect to be taken seriously.
I can assure you that my expectations around here have never been high......just look at your post.....nothing of substance at all .....just denial

Would any of these strength metrics include recent head-to-head results or % of teams ranked in the preseason top 25?
No, they would include actual results from teams not preseason polls. They include actual playoff teams and major bowl participants.

Yep, because the hawks will be facing a more talented and deeper team in Ames. The hawks have no way to move the ball against a salty defense that has two weeks to prepare.

Amazing how most clone fans continually under value Iowa's talent. If you think Iowa's defense isn't just as salty then you're just another tool.

Hey Texan06 - will you still be here after the ISU game, whether your team wins or loses? I think it is easy to say all of the things you're saying when you have the option of disappearing (or changing handles again).

Bottom Line. The break right before the Iowa game will hurt ISU. It will be like an opening game again. It is better to get on schedule of playing each weekend when you start a season and get a week break between the 6-8th game to rest and heal. A second week break will hurt their efforts.yes it gives you scheming time but not playing time which at that time in the year is critical. If BF shows up...Iowa 24-14

Bottom Line. The break right before the Iowa game will hurt ISU. It will be like an opening game again. It is better to get on schedule of playing each weekend when you start a season and get a week break between the 6-8th game to rest and heal. A second week break will hurt their efforts.yes it gives you scheming time but not playing time which at that time in the year is critical. If BF shows up...Iowa 24-14

I think ISU will make the most of the off week myself. They'll be as focused and sharp as ever. You have to remember, this is THE GAME that Campbell needs the most and it is also the single game the fans care the most about.

Now, as for what Iowa needs to do in weeks 1 and 2 - they need to absolutely DOMINATE MiaOH and Rutgers. I'd love to see scores of 52-3 in both if possible. I'd love to have all kinds of offensive plays being shown (and shown to work) with plenty of wrinkles and formations that can be tweaked around. I'd love for ISU to have to study the film on about 14 TDs. What I don't want is for Iowa to try to play the first two games close to the vest and suddenly try to do new things in a road game with an extremely hostile environment.

Reactions: cm8124
No, they would include actual results from teams not preseason polls. They include actual playoff teams and major bowl participants.
Clones haven't won a conference championship since 1912. That's not only embarrassing but it's downright laughable. Iowa has 37 players in the NFL and the Clone's have 5. Making a comparison like that and then saying Campbell develops better makes you sound like s complete fool. Clones have some nice players but when it comes down to overall depth Iowa clearly has the advantage.

Clones haven't won a conference championship since 1912. That's not only embarrassing but it's downright laughable. Iowa has 37 players in the NFL and the Clone's have 5. Making a comparison like that and then saying Campbell develops better makes you sound like s complete fool. Clones have some nice players but when it comes down to overall depth Iowa clearly has the advantage.

He is a great back. And will be huge for the Bears. It is unfortunate that his claim in college was most broken tackles. That happens when you run behind an atrocious line and play in a conference that is allergic to tackling. There is a reason the Big 12 has the lowest amount of people drafted out of the P5. Jesus, the bell cow, Oklahoma, actually fired their D coordinator mid year. If ISU doesn’t win 10 games this year it is a disaster. The odds came out and they are a dog in only the Okie game. So on paper they win 11 and push Texas.

The two worst teams in the Big 12 and Big 10 played each other last year. 55-14 Kansas over Rutgers. And it wasn't a fluke as Rutgers gave up over 400 yards rushing.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401012822

The Big 10 is way better and it’s not even close. Hell listen to the talking heads who have no skin in the game. And this new troll who says Matt develops talent better than Kirk?! That is a joke right? I may have issues sometimes with Kirk but developing talent isn’t one of them. ISU is a really good team and Campbell a really good coach. They have a perfect schedule in a conference that is down. On paper 10 wins “should” happen. That is how many games they will be favored in, at least. I hear Texas is now a push spread. So could be favored in 11 games. I hear Clone fans are thinking 9 wins would be a great year. I don’t get it. They said Iowa underperformed last year and we were favored in 9 games and won 9. ISU will be favored in 10 at least but 9 wins is a great year? Um Ok.

I think ISU will make the most of the off week myself. They'll be as focused and sharp as ever. You have to remember, this is THE GAME that Campbell needs the most and it is also the single game the fans care the most about.

Now, as for what Iowa needs to do in weeks 1 and 2 - they need to absolutely DOMINATE MiaOH and Rutgers. I'd love to see scores of 52-3 in both if possible. I'd love to have all kinds of offensive plays being shown (and shown to work) with plenty of wrinkles and formations that can be tweaked around. I'd love for ISU to have to study the film on about 14 TDs. What I don't want is for Iowa to try to play the first two games close to the vest and suddenly try to do new things in a road game with an extremely hostile environment.
If you think that KF will show all kinds of offensive plays with wrinkles, then you haven’t been paying attention. To win in Ames this year KF will have to take chances and many of them. That isn’t really his game so it should be fun. The single most important game this year is the Texas game in Ames. I agree with you on the benefit of the off week. Clones are very experienced so it will be used mostly on opponent prep.

The Big 10 is way better and it’s not even close. Hell listen to the talking heads who have no skin in the game. And this new troll who says Matt develops talent better than Kirk?! That is a joke right? I may have issues sometimes with Kirk but developing talent isn’t one of them. ISU is a really good team and Campbell a really good coach. They have a perfect schedule in a conference that is down. On paper 10 wins “should” happen. That is how many games they will be favored in, at least. I hear Texas is now a push spread. So could be favored in 11 games. I hear Clone fans are thinking 9 wins would be a great year. I don’t get it. They said Iowa underperformed last year and we were favored in 9 games and won 9. ISU will be favored in 10 at least but 9 wins is a great year? Um Ok.
B10 has to prove it by getting to the playoff. If they whiff again then they will be downgraded. The B12 will be down a bit because of coaching turnover but I expect the other 60% of conference to be quite good.

Reactions: jestaff
Texan - if the Texas game is the most important answer me this. Why are there no posts on CF about that game but thousands on Iowa? And are you posting on a Texas board or just big brother’s?

Reactions: Pepperman
So getting in the playoff is the litmus test of a conference strength? Seriously Clark? Clemson is awesome. Do you think the ACC is good as a whole? How many teams in that entire conference are preseason ranked? How many in the Big 12? How many in the Big 10? I’ll hang up and listen.

If you think that KF will show all kinds of offensive plays with wrinkles, then you haven’t been paying attention. To win in Ames this year KF will have to take chances and many of them. That isn’t really his game so it should be fun. The single most important game this year is the Texas game in Ames. I agree with you on the benefit of the off week. Clones are very experienced so it will be used mostly on opponent prep.

So, anyway, are you going to be on this site the day after the Iowa game? Win or lose, you'll be here? I suspect you'll be here if ISU wins anyway.

B10 has to prove it by getting to the playoff. If they whiff again then they will be downgraded. The B12 will be down a bit because of coaching turnover but I expect the other 60% of conference to be quite good.
Lol, by this logic you'd say that the ACC is better than the B1G as well because Clemson has consistently made the CFP? Just because you have one or two really great programs doesn't mean your whole conference is better. I have no doubt that our top two programs as a whole are better than the top two in the Big 12. That's not even getting into the rest of how the conferences line up. There really is no comparison.

Lol, by this logic you'd say that the ACC is better than the B1G as well because Clemson has consistently made the CFP? Just because you have one or two really great programs doesn't mean your whole conference is better. I have no doubt that our top two programs as a whole are better than the top two in the Big 12. That's not even getting into the rest of how the conferences line up. There really is no comparison.
I totally agree with the no comparison part. A great deal of the metric folks think they prove it regularly each year. You of course don’t agree with the results but too bad for you. As for your top two comparison, well the results of that one you don’t agree with either. You will Be in the argument if the B10 gets back to the playoff soon. BTW, I wouldn’t be to quick to say “we” when it is very likely that you never went to school at Iowa let alone another B10 school. I guess fans gotta try and hold on to something.

I totally agree with the no comparison part. A great deal of the metric folks think they prove it regularly each year. You of course don’t agree with the results but too bad for you. As for your top two comparison, well the results of that one you don’t agree with either. You will Be in the argument if the B10 gets back to the playoff soon. BTW, I wouldn’t be to quick to say “we” when it is very likely that you never went to school at Iowa let alone another B10 school. I guess fans gotta try and hold on to something.

Lol. First off, I went and graduated at Iowa so thanks! Was even in the band, in case you say I'm still not a true fan.

I'm going to need you to cite some sources on the "great deal of metrics" you're claiming. Top to bottom from ones that I've seen have the B1G as ahead of the Big 12. Our top two programs, Ohio State and Michigan, are collectively better than recent Texas and Oklahoma. How many championships has the Big 12 had this decade? Because at least the B1G can claim one.

If you look at the rest of the conference, it's really a no-brainer that the B1G is better, but if you'd like for me to break it down, I will. It's a slow day at work.

Oklahoma vs Ohio State - A wash because Oklahoma has made the CFP more times, but Ohio State has at least won one.

Texas vs Michigan - Michigan for sure. Much more success since Harbaugh took over and doesn't lose to lowly Maryland several years in a row.

TCU vs Penn State - Penn State has the slight edge here, with at worst this being a wash.

WVU vs Michigan State - Michigan State takes this because they made the CFP and that matters a lot in your eyes.

Texas Tech vs Wisconsin - No brainer. Wisconsin crushes them in almost every metric you can think of.

Iowa State vs Iowa - Iowa is on a 4 game win streak. I don't care if Campbell is the second coming of Jesus, you can't disregard the last 4 years of play.

Baylor vs Nebraska - Probably giving the nod to Baylor here given what Mike Riley did to Nebraska, but if you look at Nebraska in a few years, it won't be close.

Oklahoma State vs Northwestern? Again, the B1G takes this and it's not close. I'm only making this comparison because the Big 12 already fell off in terms of quality teams. I realize this isn't a fair comparison. OSU had the great year in 2011 of course, but recently? Eh...

Kansas State vs Minnesota - Same argument with Northwestern. It's not close.

Kansas vs Rutgers - Sure. You beat up the worst program in the country. I'll give you the edge in "worst program in the conference" category for a moral victory.

Quite good compared to what?

How can you base 2019 metrics on actual results, moron?

Oh, and way to ignore the head-to-head thing; I would've done the same thing in your shoes. Iowa doesn't need other member of the conference to fight our battles, we do just fine ourselves, consistently well above ISU.

How can you base 2019 metrics on actual results, moron?

Oh, and way to ignore the head-to-head thing; I would've done the same thing in your shoes. Iowa doesn't need other member of the conference to fight our battles, we do just fine ourselves, consistently well above ISU.

Lol right? I went through the whole comparison for him and the B1G crushes every time.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
Yep, the B12 is not nearly as strong as the B10 West.....regardless of what any or all strength metrics indicate! LOL!!!

You can put that up on your shelf to admire when the Hawks kick ass for the 5th year in a row.

Lol. First off, I went and graduated at Iowa so thanks! Was even in the band, in case you say I'm still not a true fan.

I'm going to need you to cite some sources on the "great deal of metrics" you're claiming. Top to bottom from ones that I've seen have the B1G as ahead of the Big 12. Our top two programs, Ohio State and Michigan, are collectively better than recent Texas and Oklahoma. How many championships has the Big 12 had this decade? Because at least the B1G can claim one.

If you look at the rest of the conference, it's really a no-brainer that the B1G is better, but if you'd like for me to break it down, I will. It's a slow day at work.

Oklahoma vs Ohio State - A wash because Oklahoma has made the CFP more times, but Ohio State has at least won one.

Texas vs Michigan - Michigan for sure. Much more success since Harbaugh took over and doesn't lose to lowly Maryland several years in a row.

TCU vs Penn State - Penn State has the slight edge here, with at worst this being a wash.

WVU vs Michigan State - Michigan State takes this because they made the CFP and that matters a lot in your eyes.

Texas Tech vs Wisconsin - No brainer. Wisconsin crushes them in almost every metric you can think of.

Iowa State vs Iowa - Iowa is on a 4 game win streak. I don't care if Campbell is the second coming of Jesus, you can't disregard the last 4 years of play.

Baylor vs Nebraska - Probably giving the nod to Baylor here given what Mike Riley did to Nebraska, but if you look at Nebraska in a few years, it won't be close.

Oklahoma State vs Northwestern? Again, the B1G takes this and it's not close. I'm only making this comparison because the Big 12 already fell off in terms of quality teams. I realize this isn't a fair comparison. OSU had the great year in 2011 of course, but recently? Eh...

Kansas State vs Minnesota - Same argument with Northwestern. It's not close.

Kansas vs Rutgers - Sure. You beat up the worst program in the country. I'll give you the edge in "worst program in the conference" category for a moral victory.

I'm not sure why I'm reading this stupid thread let alone posting in it, but you seriously need to go back at look at records of teams over the last 10 years if you're going to post this crap. Northwestern over Oklahoma State? Northwestern has had 4 losing seasons since 2011. Okie State hasn't won less than 7 games in a season since 2011 (and that was just last season), and has won 10 games in 4 seasons since their 12-1 season in 2011. To say Northwestern is better than Okie State might have been accurate last season. Over the last decade, Okie St has clearly been better.

Also, Minnesota over KState? Maybe last year and that's it. KState has obviously had to make a coaching change and maybe did it a year too late. But if you're comparing programs, over the last decade or so, KState has been the better program than Minnesota.

I also like how you leave out other crappy teams like Illinois and Indiana. I wish the Big 12 had a few more Kansas like teams. The Big Ten has 3 of them pretty much in Rutgers, Illinois, and Indiana. Face it, schedules vary a lot year to year in the Big Ten. Iowa has feasted off of weaker conference schedules. The Big Ten has many more opportunities at easy wins in the football schedule than Big 12 teams do. It's like when McCarney was most successful the seasons he didn't have Oklahoma and Texas on the schedule. Same for Ferentz when he hasn't had Ohio St, Michigan, and Mich St on the schedule.

I'm not sure why I'm reading this stupid thread let alone posting in it, but you seriously need to go back at look at records of teams over the last 10 years if you're going to post this crap. Northwestern over Oklahoma State? Northwestern has had 4 losing seasons since 2011. Okie State hasn't won less than 7 games in a season since 2011 (and that was just last season), and has won 10 games in 4 seasons since their 12-1 season in 2011. To say Northwestern is better than Okie State might have been accurate last season. Over the last decade, Okie St has clearly been better.

Also, Minnesota over KState? Maybe last year and that's it. KState has obviously had to make a coaching change and maybe did it a year too late. But if you're comparing programs, over the last decade or so, KState has been the better program than Minnesota.

I also like how you leave out other crappy teams like Illinois and Indiana. I wish the Big 12 had a few more Kansas like teams. The Big Ten has 3 of them pretty much in Rutgers, Illinois, and Indiana. Face it, schedules vary a lot year to year in the Big Ten. Iowa has feasted off of weaker conference schedules. The Big Ten has many more opportunities at easy wins in the football schedule than Big 12 teams do. It's like when McCarney was most successful the seasons he didn't have Oklahoma and Texas on the schedule. Same for Ferentz when he hasn't had Ohio St, Michigan, and Mich St on the schedule.
Really...why don't you go back to 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009. Next time don't come to an Iowa site and spew things that are not true. Iowa has a winning record against PSU and Michigan in Kf's era. Clones on the other hand, has beat Oklahoma once and Texas a few times in that same time frame. Again, it's been 107 years since the clones won a conference championship in football. That tells you all you need to know about clone football tradition.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT