ADVERTISEMENT

Ok Cyclone fans, I have to admit

I also like how you leave out other crappy teams like Illinois and Indiana......The Big Ten has many more opportunities at easy wins in the football schedule than Big 12 teams do.

It's not that your point doesn't have any merit, but you're being a bit extreme about it. Indiana is probably close to as quality a team as ISU, but their brutal schedule has not allowed them to get to the next level. Illinois probably has more raw talent than ISU, but is extremely poorly coached. Iowa and Iowa St usually have similar strengths of schedule. Last season Iowa St's was marginally tougher (although some metrics had Iowa's tougher, especially after the bowls), this year Iowa's will be significantly tougher.

I wish the Big 12 had a few more Kansas like teams.

Looks like your wish has been granted. Seems you have 4-5 "Kansases" in the Big 12 this season.

It's not that your point doesn't have any merit, but you're being a bit extreme about it. Indiana is probably close to as quality a team as ISU, but their brutal schedule has not allowed them to get to the next level. Illinois probably has more raw talent than ISU, but is extremely poorly coached. Iowa and Iowa St usually have similar strengths of schedule. Last season Iowa St's was marginally tougher (although some metrics had Iowa's tougher, especially after the bowls), this year Iowa's will be significantly tougher.

Looks like your wish has been granted. Seems you have 4-5 "Kansases" in the Big 12 this season.
What's funny is Kansas has better football tradition than the clones....just cant get over that 107 year drought

The annual pissing contest trying to decide which conference is better is old, tiring, and laughable.

As an ISU alumnus and fan, I want to bear Iowa badly every year. At the same time, I will trade a loss to Iowa with a win over Oklahoma, Texass, or another top Big 12 team.

Beating Iowa is nice because it shuts up my Iowa friends for a while. More importantly is its significant for in-state recruiting. Doing well in the Big 12 is far more important. There are about 6+ bigger games on ISU's schedule than Iowa:

Oklahoma, Texas, Baylor, Okie State, K State, TCU, and West Virginia

OU and TX are still ahead of ISU, and any ISU would be ecstatic to beat them.

Okie State, Baylor, KSU, TCU, and WV are basically "at the same level" (more or less) and I wouldn't be surprised if ISU won or lost each game.

Should beat Kansas and Tech (knock on wood). A sign your program is "at the next level' is beating teams you should.

Time will tell...

Which conference is better? Who knows. Who cares.

Would love to bear the hell out of Iowa, but if they dont, and they still make it to the Big 12 title game, all is well.

Two 1st round talents and two more draft choices gets 4th in the B10 West. Is that your claim? Once again I ask, is it KF’s job to turn out NFL players or to win? Depth and talent across the board is what matters and ISU is a more talented team. The hawks had 10 receptions from Fant and Hoch in last years game. That is 10 out of 16 total. Who is going to catch the ball this year? The hawks will certainly not be better in the passing game replacing both safety valves while the Clones will be better defensively. The hawks ran for 100 yards and needed the late drive to get it. How are the hawks going to run when they can’t pass? See what you fail to grasp is they aren’t going to be able to do either this year as the Clones will play a game and then spend two weeks prepping with a better defense than we had last year. Vegas bookmakers are no dummies and realize this game does not play to The hawks strengths at all. The only way the hawks win is with a plus turnover margin.
So, you're saying that turning out NFL caliber players is not an indication of talent? As you even admit...Iowa churns out NFL players, hence the
The annual pissing contest trying to decide which conference is better is old, tiring, and laughable.

As an ISU alumnus and fan, I want to bear Iowa badly every year. At the same time, I will trade a loss to Iowa with a win over Oklahoma, Texass, or another top Big 12 team.

Beating Iowa is nice because it shuts up my Iowa friends for a while. More importantly is its significant for in-state recruiting. Doing well in the Big 12 is far more important. There are about 6+ bigger games on ISU's schedule than Iowa:

Okie State, Baylor, KSU, TCU, and WV are basically "at the same level" (more or less) and I wouldn't be surprised if ISU won or lost each game.

Should beat Kansas and Tech (knock on wood). A sign your program is "at the next level' is beating teams you should.

Time will tell...

Would love to bear the hell out of Iowa, but if they dont, and they still make it to the Big 12 title game, all is well.
I hope you can "bear" getting "beat" by Iowa again this season :)

Reactions: Wadzinator
Most (not all) of my Cyclone friends have the same approach to this season, "cautiously optimistic". It is clear they are getting better, but until they consistently beat Kansas, Texas Texh, etc., I will be nervous. Point spreads mean nothing to me. Just win the game.

The difference between winning and losing is so slim. Too many "what ifs" to be comfortable. The biggest one is Brock Purdy. The last ISU QB to play the entire season was Austen Arnaud (I think). Outside of Alabama and Clemson, I imagine most schools hold their breath when their QB runs the ball.

To say Northwestern is better than Okie State might have been accurate last season. Over the last decade, Okie St has clearly been better.

Also, Minnesota over KState? Maybe last year and that's it. KState has obviously had to make a coaching change and maybe did it a year too late. But if you're comparing programs, over the last decade or so, KState has been the better program than Minnesota.

Given how you framed the above, is Iowa State better than Iowa? Please do answer, and then tell all of your fellow Clones the answer as well.

Certainly won’t be losing to Iowa. Early line is ISU -4.5 versus Iowa. The spread will close by game time and ISU will win by 10....don’t bet with your heart on this one

1v857i.jpg

If you think that KF will show all kinds of offensive plays with wrinkles, then you haven’t been paying attention. To win in Ames this year KF will have to take chances and many of them. That isn’t really his game so it should be fun. The single most important game this year is the Texas game in Ames. I agree with you on the benefit of the off week. Clones are very experienced so it will be used mostly on opponent prep.

Will be a lot of pounding the ball and short passes. We are gonna grind.

There are at least 5 draft choices that will take the field for ISU this year on defense.
At least 5? So there could be what... 6, 7.... maybe 8 Iowa State defensive players drafted?

5wN.gif

tenor.gif

Come 7p.m. on Sept 14 all this Hawk drivel will be sucked up by a large vac and bagged

Funny. Nebraska and Iowa State could have played each other to make up a game last season, but Scotty was hiding in a closet and wouldn't come out.

B10 has to prove it by getting to the playoff. If they whiff again then they will be downgraded. The B12 will be down a bit because of coaching turnover but I expect the other 60% of conference to be quite good.

I think you are confusing the Big 12 having one dominating team that makes the playoff to a Big Ten that has consistently had much stronger teams overall at the top and middle.

If you combined conferences since the CFP started, yeah Oklahoma would battle for supremacy with Ohio St. then you have a Bunche if Big Ten teams in the 3-10 spots with maybe 1-2 Big 12 teams in that group.

Given how you framed the above, is Iowa State better than Iowa? Please do answer, and then tell all of your fellow Clones the answer as well.

Iowa State has lost 4 straight to Iowa going into this season, no I don't think ISU is better. I do think there's minimal difference between the 2 teams over the last 2 seasons. Both head to head games were close and decided by a few plays. I think 2019 game will be the same and the two teams will be very comparable.

I think you are confusing the Big 12 having one dominating team that makes the playoff to a Big Ten that has consistently had much stronger teams overall at the top and middle.

If you combined conferences since the CFP started, yeah Oklahoma would battle for supremacy with Ohio St. then you have a Bunche if Big Ten teams in the 3-10 spots with maybe 1-2 Big 12 teams in that group.
Unfortunately for you, the metrics folks just don’t agree with you at all. You can say it all you want but the metrics folks provide numerical backup for the B12 being stronger. I guess it helps you sleep at night to ignore the power ratings.

Unfortunately for you, the metrics folks just don’t agree with you at all. You can say it all you want but the metrics folks provide numerical backup for the B12 being stronger. I guess it helps you sleep at night to ignore the power ratings.
Lolol... pure rubbish. Metrics folks? Power ratings? This is a parody account right?

I will definitely not concede that Indiana is as close to a quality team as ISU is currently. Indiana's best record has been 6-6 in last decade. Yeah they've been to two lower tier bowls in that same 10 year period, but they didn't finish above .500. Paul Rhoads Cyclone teams did the same. I'm not buying strength of schedule of Indiana's has been any tougher than the Cyclones' strength of schedule over the last 2 seasons, where ISU has won 8 games each season while Indiana has gone 5-7, 5-7. ISU's conference schedule has been just as "brutal" as Indiana's. Tom Allen isn't in same league as Campbell after his 2 seasons at Indiana.

Illinois beat Rutgers and Minnesota and got blown out in most other games last year. Lovie Smith sucks as a coach. I'd pick 9/10 teams in the Big 12 to beat Illiniois head to head.

Iowa State has lost 4 straight to Iowa going into this season, no I don't think ISU is better. I do think there's minimal difference between the 2 teams over the last 2 seasons. Both head to head games were close and decided by a few plays. I think 2019 game will be the same and the two teams will be very comparable.

Fair enough, and for the record I don't think you're wrong in the above post. The two teams have in fact been pretty close these last couple of years. But you went back to 2011 for Oklahoma State and I don't see you going back that far here, so that's all I'm saying.

And also, I am not trying to extend any pissing matches to you as you seem like a reasonable poster. I'm also already on record as thinking Iowa loses this year in Ames because I think Iowa State will have a good team and plenty of motivation, but then I tend to predict losses in Ames whether that's still rational or not, as I've seen too many Iowa teams go there and fail to beat ISU that wasn't nearly as good as this ISU.

There is that standard hawk fan right on queue. The immature name calling is a nice touch when the poster can’t hold any type of conversation or flat has nothing.
When people like you troll and say stupid shit what do you expect ?

That’s funny, the first thing I saw from the google search I did backed up what I said and disputed what you said over the last 5 years.

Like I said, Ohio St and Oklahoma battling at the top. The 3 Big 10 teams follow that up with 2 in the Top 10 (Wisconsin and Michigan) and 1 (Penn St) in the Top 15. Then in the 15-25 range, 2 Big 12 teams with 1 Big Ten team.

After Oklahoma, the next best Big 12 team is TCU at 19. So yeah, Oklahoma is a dominant team that competes for CFP like Ohio St. Luckily for Oklahoma, they don’t have to deal with any other top level teams in their conference like Ohio St does.

So I guess it’s safe to say you are the one that makes things up to sleep better at night.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...rankings-last-five-years-florida-state-pac-12

That’s funny, the first thing I saw from the google search I did backed up what I said and disputed what you said over the last 5 years.

Like I said, Ohio St and Oklahoma battling at the top. The 3 Big 10 teams follow that up with 2 in the Top 10 (Wisconsin and Michigan) and 1 (Penn St) in the Top 15. Then in the 15-25 range, 2 Big 12 teams with 1 Big Ten team.

After Oklahoma, the next best Big 12 team is TCU at 19. So yeah, Oklahoma is a dominant team that competes for CFP like Ohio St. Luckily for Oklahoma, they don’t have to deal with any other top level teams in their conference like Ohio St does.

So I guess it’s safe to say you are the one that makes things up to sleep better at night.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...rankings-last-five-years-florida-state-pac-12

I already gave him a break down of team vs team and he never replied. It's pretty clear that the B1G is a much better conference, and it's silly to even argue about it. Using Kansas > Rutgers is not a great argument for why your conference is good.

Reactions: owenhawk
I already gave him a break down of team vs team and he never replied. It's pretty clear that the B1G is a much better conference, and it's silly to even argue about it. Using Kansas > Rutgers is not a great argument for why your conference is good.

Right, if they want to argue their bottom 4th of teams is better then Big Ten’s, well great. Iowa is 6th in Big Ten over that time according to metrics and they have beat Iowa St. four in a row. Maryland has beat Texas twice.

All of this tells me one things. The Big 12 has one team - Oklahoma - that props their conference strength up and which Big 12 fans are hitching their wagon to when pumping up the Big 12.

Time will tell...

Lets be honest...Iowa State doesn’t play for conference championships. ISU hasn’t ever even been close. Even in the McCarney year where you could have potentially gotten to the championship game through some weird 5 way tie by winning the last game, Iowa St was going to get 50 pointed by the South winner. All years ISU finished several games off the pace and and/or suffered double digit losses to the contending teams.

Then looking at ticket prices - cheap tickets under $40 for about all B12 opponents but Iowa tickets are $130 minimum. Sorry, I don’t believe this Cytwins lie that you would trade an Iowa loss for a conference win. Its a fallacy cooked up by the dude who is definitely going to go online and troll this site the hardest he will ever troll the second Iowa State wins again in the Cyhawk series.

Reactions: Pepperman
The hawks are going to run rpo with Stanley? You are funny! I get your sarcasm, but in all seriousness where is the offense going to come from?

Apparently you don’t watch the games? Iowa already ran a decent amount of RPO last year with Stanley.

Ahh...you think I meant Stanley was going to run the football. That’s a read-option. I’m talking about a run-pass option. Stanley will read a linebacker and decide to hand off or throw the football in a run-pass option or RPO. This concludes football 101 for Cytwins.

Yep, because the hawks will be facing a more talented and deeper team in Ames. The hawks have no way to move the ball against a salty defense that has two weeks to prepare.

Ok, Iowa just beat MIss State with the best D in the nation. Of course Iowa can’t move the ball against you clowns. You people are idiots.

Ok, Iowa just beat MIss State with the best D in the nation. Of course Iowa can’t move the ball against you clowns. You people are idiots.

That's a fact. And scored the most points on them all year. Couldn't run the ball to save their lives but saw Stanley step-up big time in a tough situation against a lot of pressure. If he can do that this year, watch out.

This. Would love to beat Iowa, but would gladly trade for a win on a bigger stage. I assume Hawk fans would feel the same with a win over a top Big 10 team.

I'm not really concerned about the isu game...expecting a 14 point Hawkeye victory.

See this is more where I am at as well to be honest. Not only did Iowa State not play a Defense with a pulse last year in the B12 or their bowl game but Montgomery was far and away the leading rusher per game and Butler far and away the leading receiver in each game. The second best receiver in the majority of games behind Butler was Montgomery. Butler was the one who went up and caught those off target and/or high passes thrown by Purdy so that can't be discounted either.

This. Would love to beat Iowa, but would gladly trade for a win on a bigger stage. I assume Hawk fans would feel the same with a win over a top Big 10 team.

To be fair to you, this might be a year where you could actually mean that, given the B12 is such a crappy conference and you've got a good team within it. In years past, you could make this claim, but it never mattered at all given you weren't competing for a conference title or spot in the CCG anyway. I am still not sold on "ISU fan" in general wanting to win conference games over the Iowa game though.

Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS
Fair enough, and for the record I don't think you're wrong in the above post. The two teams have in fact been pretty close these last couple of years. But you went back to 2011 for Oklahoma State and I don't see you going back that far here, so that's all I'm saying.

And also, I am not trying to extend any pissing matches to you as you seem like a reasonable poster. I'm also already on record as thinking Iowa loses this year in Ames because I think Iowa State will have a good team and plenty of motivation, but then I tend to predict losses in Ames whether that's still rational or not, as I've seen too many Iowa teams go there and fail to beat ISU that wasn't nearly as good as this ISU.

Yeah the only reason I went back to 2011 for Okie St was previous poster said something to the effect that Okie St only had 2011 season as their banner year and were a lesser program than Northwestern.

Thanks for the rational discussion!

ADVERTISEMENT