ADVERTISEMENT

OK. Here’s a Thought I Would Like to see Discussed.

There were some nasty players on those 2000's teams when that phrase came up. Roth, Sanders, for example. Not sure who were the assistant coaches during that period, but it's interesting to see that Coach Bielema brought in Brad Banks, Colin Cole, CJ Jones, Abdul Hodge, among others. He was a big recruiter on the post Fry rebuild.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
I think the attitude, mentality, and foundation is still there. I see evidence of it when we fall behind early but stay the course and physically overwhelm the opponent over 60 minutes - usually watching the tide turn in the last 1.5 quarters. Like the Penn st game last year. And even the Nebraska game too. We definitely needed some fortune to make those comebacks, but we earned it through being physical.

What I think is missing is the WR threat. When we truly bullied people on offense, it was because we faced 7 in the box, not the 8 we always see today. TEs can take advantage of 8 in the box, but they aren’t going to be home run threats so it’s still well worth the risk for defenses to attack our run. Think of the days with Mo Brown, DJK, McNutt, Hinkle, Solomon. Even a bit more recently with Tevaun Smith. We haven’t had the home run threat to allow our big uglies to win a fair fight. I don’t think we have those bullies on the OL this year, but the point remains.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
Stop with the Doyle bullshit. He was a good strength coach, no doubt. It’s not the reason we suck on offense. We’re still plenty strong on D and have been.
I think Doyle hurt worse than anybody out here thought at the time. He did make the monster linemen. This year's line problem really is mostly youth and inexperience. They're up and down. So, in the end, Doyle doesn't explain the line problems this year.

Petras, on the other hand, is almost always down and far from young and inexperienced. Padilla is obviously not the answer unless he has shown tremendous improvement since last year. For the first time I see the appearance of stubborn creeping in. I think you commented on my previous post but, in case not, its not like KF has ever had a problem with second year starters, so that's one objection to Joe's lack of time or not starting. KF has never had a problem dropping an incumbent starter when there was a better QB waiting on the couple of occasions that was necessary. So why not now when Petras is so obviously an albatross? Booing in Kinnick is rare.​

The defense and special teams have been well above average in that time frame. Not sure how the loss of Doyle seemingly affected only one branch of the three.
OL/DL rely on physical strength and technique. We got pushed around yesterday and a bit by Ruts. ST is physicality and speed, not as much strength. Doyle knew it all starts and ends in the trenches. That was his forte, others on the staff took care of other areas.

That stupid Bullies of the Big Ten thing came from a quote from a Michigan player after Iowa stomped them in the big house TWENTY years ago. Iowa fans ate it up and it might have applied that one season but for a coach who has never won an outright bten title and has won 58% of conference games it was a ridiculous phrase that just doesn't apply to Iowa under KF

The Bullies of the Big Ten over the last 20 years is Ohio State. Period. End of discussion.

I wouldn't put the blame on the online woes on losing Doyle. The ol play and been poor prior to him being let go. In fact, many people blamed the decline in oline pay due to the rhabo aftermath, thinking Doyle wasn't pushing the players as hard after that occured.

So in 2018 we had two thousand yard rushers and a QB with like 2500 yards and 26 TDs. The offensive line would need to play pretty good football to get that kind of production.
Did you mean 2016?
That offense ranked 121st out of 128 in total offense but did break the top 100 for scoring checking in at 95th in the country. That offensive line would qualify just a touch ahead of the current one. ‘Pretty good’? Not sure your criteria for that level.

Ok. I don’t want this to turn into a name calling argument. I just wanted to hear some other opinions.

My last thought is this. We got pushed around in the trenches on BOTH sides of the ball on Saturday. While the defense is good, they are far from dominant in the trenches. Not going to win many games if you don’t control the los.

Several years ago we were called The Bullies of the BIG TEN. We enforced our will onto other teams. So what has changed?

IMO, we miss Doyle more than people want to admit. I’m not trying to start trouble, just would like to see what people think.
Kind of like Wisconsin’s OL? Remember when so many said we need to be like Wisconsin’s OL. Well, we are. lol. You wished for it and now you got it.

Ok. I don’t want this to turn into a name calling argument. I just wanted to hear some other opinions.

My last thought is this. We got pushed around in the trenches on BOTH sides of the ball on Saturday. While the defense is good, they are far from dominant in the trenches. Not going to win many games if you don’t control the los.
We left when Michigan went up 20-0. Knew there was 0 hope then. Caught Podolak on the radio for the 4th quarter. He did note Michigans OL is mostly 5th year seniors. One guy a junior. So not shocking to see that dominance against our DL. And how different our OL is in experience compared to theirs. But there was a play where one of our OTs got beat on a rush and he was like oh boy that was just a simple spin move and our OT didn’t pick it up.

is it inexperience or our OL is just too slow?

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Petras has regressed. It is sad, no one wants to arrive on campus a star recruit and leaves a ridiculed disaster or see it happen to a young man. It's the kind of thing that can eat away at almost anyone.

BUT

The Hawkeyes transcend any one player. Spencer has peaked and is obviously waning. I cannot imagine Padilla is significantly better, if at all. Padilla was worse that Petras in almost every way last season.

• Haha
Reactions: hawkeye_power
We left when Michigan went up 20-0. Knew there was 0 hope then. Caught Podolak on the radio for the 4th quarter. He did note Michigans OL is mostly 5th year seniors. One guy a junior. So not shocking to see that dominance against our DL. And how different our OL is in experience compared to theirs. But there was a play where one of our OTs got beat on a rush and he was like oh boy that was just a simple spin move and our OT didn’t pick it up.

is it inexperience or our OL is just too slow?
Your radio guy is making stuff up...yes Michigan has two 5th year seniors starting (one a grad transfer)...but that is not most...when he said we only have one JR starter did that mean the true junior who never took a redshirt or the RS soph who is in his 3rd year also...or the actual RS JR...which would make him a senior but not 5th year? Did he mention the RS frosh whose has played over 50% of snaps?

To your question...experience matters...on the OL it does a lot. But a bad young line is probably never going to be a very good one without new blood...an average young line can become awesome though...

The Michigan OL won the Joe Moore Award (best OL in the country) last year...we came back with guys who were mostly sophs last year...now they are vets...

So in 2018 we had two thousand yard rushers and a QB with like 2500 yards and 26 TDs. The offensive line would need to play pretty good football to get that kind of production.
Actually 2016 Iowa had two 1,000 yard rushers and a QB threw for 1900 yards.
Get the point though.

We were never bullies of the big ten. Having a couple good seasons doesn't suddenly change the reputation of being historically mediocre. We shared the conference title with a team we never played that season. The perception of being bullies arose out of the want to be a blue blood bad enough that people convinced themselves that we were.

Several years ago we were called The Bullies of the BIG TEN. We enforced our will onto other teams. So what has changed?

IMO, we miss Doyle more than people want to admit. I’m not trying to start trouble, just would like to see what people think.
Doyle absolutely was a big loss. You don’t replace the guy who helped envelop the ‘development program’ mindset. Doyle was one of the top strength coaches in the country. It’s why he was Kirk’s right-hand man. He spent the most time with the players and turned countless 220 pound kids into NFL players.

So many former players credited Doyle for getting them on the right path and preparing them for the NFL.

To not think Doyle’s departure is related to the overall state of the program is a massive over site.

Doyle’s experience and proven track record are exactly why Urban Meyer came calling as soon as he got the job with Jacksonville.

One of my good friends is a coach at one of the DSM metro schools and often went to campus to see and hear Doyle. He said it’s amazing how Doyle would personalize each player’s body and workouts that best fit their frame. In his words: “Losing Doyle will absolutely have a big impact on the program in the near future.”

We know the accusations and Doyle’s departure, etc. But to think he didn’t have a huge impact on what we witnessed for so many years is discrediting how influential and knowledgeable he is in the field of strength training.

I’m not saying Doyle’s departure is THE reason for our recent struggles … but he sure as hell was a big reason why we were the bullies of the Big 10. And his absence is absolutely a big reason why our O and Dlines are struggling to own the line of scrimmage.

Captain Obvious here … but we know the offense needs an overhaul and it starts with a new OC and new OLine coach.

But boy, we sure do miss Doyle.

Good post. The defensive line was pushed around all over the place by Michigan from the first snap on. Michigan set the tone for the day with their first drive with very little resistance from our line.

We were never bullies of the big ten. Having a couple good seasons doesn't suddenly change the reputation of being historically mediocre. We shared the conference title with a team we never played that season. The perception of being bullies arose out of the want to be a blue blood bad enough that people convinced themselves that we were.
The perception came from a comment from an opponent that labeled them ‘the bullies’ it was also good business to bet against the team that Iowa had played the previous week as they didn’t bounce back quite as quickly the following week.

Ferentz seemed to have a chance in those early years to build Iowa into a legitimate national contender. Then City Boyz Inc. arrived on campus and departed campus. That was the first turning point under Ferentz, as I think that is where the "tight ship" mentality stemmed from originally and it worked just enough that it stuck. Those early teams were filled with "free spirits" and played with a swagger that hasn't been seen or accepted since. Our team looks tight most of the time, like they can't just let go and play the game, and this isn't something new. I can't argue that we haven't stumbled on success a few times over the past 15 years, but it was usually the result of favorable scheduling. Otherwise it's been a solid run, but not a top tier run for Ferentz.

That stupid Bullies of the Big Ten thing came from a quote from a Michigan player after Iowa stomped them in the big house TWENTY years ago. Iowa fans ate it up and it might have applied that one season but for a coach who has never won an outright bten title and has won 58% of conference games it was a ridiculous phrase that just doesn't apply to Iowa under KF

The Bullies of the Big Ten over the last 20 years is Ohio State. Period. End of discussion.
that moniker was because of our physicality and you can ask any other coach….. they expect a physical game when they play Iowa…..doesn’t always translate to the win column but it’s been our style since Ferentz took over…… we just don’t have the players this year on the Oline and it’s embarrassing to watch them get manhandled

Part of it is these days our best players leave early for the NFL that wasn’t the case back then….. being a developmental program…..our players usually weren’t starting as freshmen and sophomores on the oline…..people underestimate the importance of a few years in our strength and conditioning program to playing the type of football Ferentz wants to

Reactions: littlez

Exactly, and everyone from that line ended up in the NFL. Now we are lucky to have two potential NFLers on the same line.

There were some nasty players on those 2000's teams when that phrase came up. Roth, Sanders, for example. Not sure who were the assistant coaches during that period, but it's interesting to see that Coach Bielema brought in Brad Banks, Colin Cole, CJ Jones, Abdul Hodge, among others. He was a big recruiter on the post Fry rebuild.

BB is a great recruiter. His problem has traditionally been his means and the types of guys he's recruited as an HC are questionable, at best. Also he's had a serious problem getting along with, well everyone with whom he's worked at every place he's been HC.

I've met him a few times. Didn't seem anything but a little loud and perhaps a little insincere but, you know, .....
So didn't seem like a bad guy to me but man he has seemed to leave somewhat quickly and leave a lot of burning bridges behind him.

Wish he was still recruiting for Iowa.

Reactions: aapeltzz
Silly silly me. In 2018 we used the three headed monster, that rushed just shy of 2000 yards and 19 TDs and threw for just shy of 3000 yards and 26 TDs. Pretty shitty performance.

Silly silly me. In 2018 we used the three headed monster, that rushed just shy of 2000 yards and 19 TDs and threw for just shy of 3000 yards and 26 TDs. Pretty shitty performance.
Much better example. 91st in total offense and 43rd in scoring offense. It’s interesting to look at the stats. When the screen pops up you can sort it by top 50 or all. For offensive stats it generally needs to be ‘all’ to get to Iowas ranking. For defense the top 50 usually suffices.

ADVERTISEMENT