ADVERTISEMENT

OK. Here’s a Thought I Would Like to see Discussed.

In my opinion almost 80 percent of power 5 schools have the athletes now to really slow down the inside zone and outside zone run plays. When we were the bullies of the big ten that was not true.

Kirk and Brian have chosen not to update our Oline blocking schemes. Lots of teams now have improved strength coaching. So about 80 percent of the power five teams can really slow down our blocking schemes.

actually imho our whole offense needs a major scheme change. Kirk has not changed enough to keep our edge.
And it is not going to change until Kirk retires.

now do I want Kirk replaced. No. So it is frustrating. But we just have to live with poor to average offenses. Our offense will improve some. Our Oline has talent. But do to recruiting misses,injuries and people going to the nfl early. It is going to be awhile before our Oline to even get up to average. I hope that happens this year. But it might be next year. Current Oline recruiting for next years incoming freshman looks outstanding. So help is on the way.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Several years ago we were called The Bullies of the BIG TEN. We enforced our will onto other teams. So what has changed?

IMO, we miss Doyle more than people want to admit. I’m not trying to start trouble, just would like to see what people think.
Then how do you explain how good the Defense is?

Silly silly me. In 2018 we used the three headed monster, that rushed just shy of 2000 yards and 19 TDs and threw for just shy of 3000 yards and 26 TDs. Pretty shitty performance.
I think we would all like to know if there is any one thing that's causing such a bad offense this year. While Stanley wasn't great, he was definitely upper half of the Big Ten, possibly upper 1/3. And he improved every year. As you stated, 3000 yards and 26 TD's for Iowa is good. I took a look at the bowl game that year against Mississippi State. We had negative 14 yards rushing. Stanley however, was 21-31 for 214 yards and 3 TD's. Mississippi State had an incredible d line and dominated our o line in the run game. However, Stanley was able to stand in the pocket and make big plays. Petras has shown zero ability to be able to win a game like that and put it on his shoulders. Also, in looking at that defense, it looks like we have 9 guys from that team currently playing in the NFL. Now that's impressive.

I think we would all like to know if there is any one thing that's causing such a bad offense this year. While Stanley wasn't great, he was definitely upper half of the Big Ten, possibly upper 1/3. And he improved every year. As you stated, 3000 yards and 26 TD's for Iowa is good. I took a look at the bowl game that year against Mississippi State. We had negative 14 yards rushing. Stanley however, was 21-31 for 214 yards and 3 TD's. Mississippi State had an incredible d line and dominated our o line in the run game. However, Stanley was able to stand in the pocket and make big plays. Petras has shown zero ability to be able to win a game like that and put it on his shoulders. Also, in looking at that defense, it looks like we have 9 guys from that team currently playing in the NFL. Now that's impressive.
Stanley was better than Petras…..and didn’t we have two tackles on our offensive line then that are in the NFL now? Jackson and Wirfs?

This is going to shock you-it sure as hell shocked me. Spencer was 6-of-11 for 96 yards when he was under pressure and was 9-of-10 for 96 yards when blitzed and, second week in a row over 90 in the PFF ratings. Four of those misses were on the last second desperation series where the team hardly got set (and maybe didn't even get set but whose calling that piddling penalty with :23 left, right) so going into that last second drive he was 21-27 and still finished with a 68% completion, 240+ yards, a TD and no INTs. Are even the rational among us so traumatized by the last 2 games last year and the first two games this year that all we see are the Petras mistakes? Cuz I'm still pulling for Labas.

By the way, I had a short paragraph about the Bulldog bowl game but edited it because I thought it was too snarky. Wanted to remind all the Stanley bashers about that game. Usually I just stick with the 337 yard, 5 TD OT win at Ames in Nate's second game but I forgot he almost single handedly beat Miss St. until I saw the box score last night. Those were a pair of brutal Ds going at it.

Other than the young, inexperienced and inconsistent line I share your question. What is the real reason for an offense to look this bad most of the time? Were I the OC, and God would I love to be, I'd come out throwing every down until I'm looking at only a four man front. I think defenses would be stunned. No huddle might work as well. What ever we're doing, do the opposite for a while and see how that works.

Reactions: hawkeye_power
BB is a great recruiter. His problem has traditionally been his means and the types of guys he's recruited as an HC are questionable, at best. Also he's had a serious problem getting along with, well everyone with whom he's worked at every place he's been HC.

I've met him a few times. Didn't seem anything but a little loud and perhaps a little insincere but, you know, .....
So didn't seem like a bad guy to me but man he has seemed to leave somewhat quickly and leave a lot of burning bridges behind him.

Wish he was still recruiting for Iowa.
Bettis a terrible recruiter. He became lazy in recruiting at Arkansas that he would blow off recruiting visits.

ADVERTISEMENT