ADVERTISEMENT

OK, here is what I don't understand about the highly pathogenic avian influenza currently circulating in our U.S. flocks

soybean

HR King
Sep 30, 2001
highly pathogenic avian influenza, or HPAI, is back this year and it is devastating many commercial flocks. It is thought to be spread by, migrating waterfowl. So, just how is this happening? All of our commercail flocks in the U.S. are inside of laying houses and othe building containing these chickens and turkeys...how does the pathogen reach them? Its not like these migrating ducks are breakinto these buildings. Can it really spread through the air to that extent?

highly pathogenic avian influenza, or HPAI, is back this year and it is devastating many commercial flocks. It is thought to be spread by, migrating waterfowl. So, just how is this happening? All of our commercail flocks in the U.S. are inside of laying houses and othe building containing these chickens and turkeys...how does the pathogen reach them? Its not like these migrating ducks are breakinto these buildings. Can it really spread through the air to that extent?

My theory is that most of the poultry buildings have a few gloryholes. A few is all you need to start an epidemic.

I was listening to a story about this on NPR. Apparently this strain is incredibly contagious. Workers at poultry farms have different boots to wear in different building to prevent cross-contamination. Extrapolating from that, it could be as simple as a duck pooping while they fly over a chicken coop. Death from above (and below).

I was listening to a story about this on NPR. Apparently this strain is incredibly contagious. Workers at poultry farms have different boots to wear in different building to prevent cross-contamination. Extrapolating from that, it could be as simple as a duck pooping while they fly over a chicken coop. Death from above (and below).
Yes I think the workers largely carry it in with them.

So, kill all the ducks?

MV5BYzI4NjNiM2EtOTQxYy00MzkwLTgwMzctYzU5OGZlYWIzN2UzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzI5MzExNDE@._V1_.jpg

• Love
Reactions: red/green hawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT