ADVERTISEMENT

OK, my long promised PTL report.

DanL53

HR Legend
Sep 12, 2013
At my own keyboard now. I was at last Thursday and today's games. The following is a conglomerate of both nights on the guys I saw. It is also just guesswork and my amateur evaluations.

Saw Kriener last Thursday. IMHO he has come furthest of all the guys since the end of last year. His offense from hitting threes to back to the basket is comparable to many GOOD Big Ten post players, stretch four or five types. His quickness is sound, his hops are acceptable and his passing has become superb. I'm also quite impressed with his confidence and willingness to scuffle on defense. I expect his ability to pull defenses out as far as the three (and further) will open things up quite a bit under the hole.

Saw Garza twice. I like his game. You probably won't be able to tell by this part. He is not as quick as Kriener, doesn't have the hops, and is raw unless you like your meat cooked less than rare. His defense needs work in the skills department, he is not a Woody, as Woody became during his freshman year, on defense. All that said. Garza is a gamer and worn out or tired he is quicker than Kriener. Garza's motor is nonstop. I'm not going to expect Garza to overtake Kriener this year for a starting spot. But I would compare the two with Woody and Gabe back in 2012/13. Our new twin towers are far better offensively, that is both under the basket and obviously out to the 3 pt line. Defensively I think Garza has a good chance to be Woody level ready by the start of the season considering who he is scrimmaging against in practice.

These two will make a formidable post. But expect foul troubles and remember even Woody and Gabe managed only 33 mpg between them their first year together. We will need a third guy and to me it will be between Uhl, Pemsl, (saw neither) and Wagner.

Saw Wagner twice. Thursday he was hitting threes and looked like a challenger for playing time at the three. Today, he was way off on his shots and looked like Wagner from last year. To me, his athleticism and hustle are tools that would be be used as a tenth, eleventh type guy in the lineup. Bring him in when guys are hurt, or in foul trouble, at both forward and the center spot. He can give valuable time at any of those three spots and provides an excellent insurance policy. Let him fire some threes up like our centers and wing forwards will be doing. Don't expect a high percentage. It is really too bad he is struggling with his shooting touch, both finishing at the basket or heaving up shots. Everything else is there to make a fine player on both ends.

I saw Jack Nunge twice. I believe he is going to make a lot of money playing basketball in the future. And that is as a wing forward or stretch four. I will compare him and say maybe better than a Matt Bullard pre-injury. I think, he and Baer will be our 3's this season and I don't care which one starts. I will say though that this may mean we are looking at playing more zone than some would like. I see the trade-off as worth it and would even predict the opposing teams will have to adjust to defend and that's when we can go back to man to man defense even when Jack is on the court. Nunge can hit the three, run the court, penetrate. He is in stellar shape. He is a good defender though to he met his match (more in a second.). Be glad we got Nunge to be a Hawkeye. Very glad.

I saw Cook today. Reports or concerns that Cook was taking it easy in the PTL can be laid to rest, right alongside anyone including Nunge that tried to stop Cook from driving and dunking. :) No one could stop him, time and again he penetrated and slammed the ball home. And, it is NOT charging when two guys run into each other and one bounces off, is it? I mean, it is like getting hit by a tank, but technically if the defender isn't set or doesn't own the space...well, the refs were merciful because Cook was getting bumped, it just didn't matter. He even began bringing the ball up the court and driving to the hole! I emphasize, nothing, no one, could stop him.

Saw Bohannon on Thursday. He has improved, much like Kriener and Cook. Mostly, he has added to his little two dribble right or left, end up back where he started for an open three, with the addition of a one dribble, two dribble, crap, he went for the hole! Maneuver. Combined, these make him very hard to contain, and although his new little floater wasn't falling I can see the progress. Bohannon is nimble. And makes moves that cause defenders to miss.

Ellingson is Ellingson offensively. I agree with those saying he could be backup point. A safe backup that won't get us hurt. I do not believe he is the answer to start at the two guard. But as a backup at either I would not be too concerned. I took time to watch his defense and he is fundamentally sound and while no stopper is neither a liability either. All told, a good, experienced backup at either guard and we could do much worse.

Saw Dailey twice. He is not a point guard. That's a certainty. But he could challenge for minutes at the two and even the three. There have been many Iowa seasons a guy like he could see the court, I just think he's got too many ahead of him.

Saw Williams twice. My view is he is still the backup point guard until someone takes that away. And I'm not sure Ellingson can get that done. Williams has the potential to be an excellent defender, maybe a stopper. On offense he is still trying to put his shot together, and gain the confidence to keep the offense flowing. If he stays healthy the talent is there.

I did not see Uhl who was missing both nights. Nor did I see Baer but we know what to expect from him. I did not see Moss.

My overall impression. We are already better than last year. Easily a couple more wins in the Big Ten better, easily. Get your Cook, Bohannon glasses ready and be prepared to find out the pieces around them are solid. Depth is great and attitude on this team is fantastic. Good year coming folks. More to follow after that!

Last edited:
Saw Garza twice. I like his game. You probably won't be able to tell by this part. 1) He is not as quick as Kriener, doesn't have the hops, and is raw unless you like your meat cooked less than rare. His defense needs work in the skills department, 2) he is not a Woody, as Woody became during his freshman year, on defense. All that said. 3) Garza is a gamer and worn out or tired he is quicker than Kriener. Garza's motor is nonstop. I'm not going to expect Garza to overtake Kriener this year for a starting spot. But I would compare the two with Woody and Gabe back in 2012/13. Our new twin towers are far better offensively, that is both under the basket and obviously out to the 3 pt line. 4) Defensively I think Garza has a good chance to be Woody level ready by the start of the season considering who he is scrimmaging against in practice.
Like your assessment Dan. But I think you should clarify the contradictions of phrases 1 vs 3 and 2 vs 4 before someones else tries to do it for you.

Reactions: DanL53
Like your assessment Dan. But I think you should clarify the contradictions of phrases 1 vs 3 and 2 vs 4 before someones else tries to do it for you.

In a sprint, Kriener wins. But Garza is not stop relentless in the long haul, more so than most. No knock on either. Garza is not now up to Woody defensively, but given the guys he has to scrimmage with he has plenty of time to be ready by the start of the season.

Thanks for the report Dan! It sounds like as long as we keep JBo healthy, the season is golden. I cannot wait, and we have a full season of tailgating in the way! As if that were a bad thing. ;)

I know ptl is not Defensive showcase but I hope Everyone has stepped their D up a notch specially at the guard positions..

I was impressed with the efforts in the PTL the four games I watched. Guys diving for lose balls, guys taking pride in defense, mostly. I've seen worse years and I'll even give an assessment of why things look more like a basketball game and not a scrimmage.

Iowa has a bunch of guys who don't know when to not be serious.

I believe, that the biggest improvement in our future years is only half better talent. The other half is we've got a nasty chip on our shoulder killer instinct and I'd love to invite that coach from Northern Florida or wherever that kindly suggested we needed to get tougher to come back and assess us again.

Old expression. We mean business.

On a side note, after watching Garza warm up today, and seeing him drain three pointer after three pointer, I couldn't resist approaching him, and I said, "With your height, your outside shot should be considered cheating!" He just laughed (Charismatic young man.) and I think he doesn't mind what it is called. Holy Som #$%^$! Kriener, Nunge, Garza....that really isn't going to be fair.

Oh well...guess it'll suck to not be us.

I was impressed with the efforts in the PTL the four games I watched. Guys diving for lose balls, guys taking pride in defense, mostly. I've seen worse years and I'll even give an assessment of why things look more like a basketball game and not a scrimmage.

Iowa has a bunch of guys who don't know when to not be serious.

I believe, that the biggest improvement in our future years is only half better talent. The other half is we've got a nasty chip on our shoulder killer instinct and I'd love to invite that coach from Northern Florida or wherever that kindly suggested we needed to get tougher to come back and assess us again.

Old expression. We mean business.

On a side note, after watching Garza warm up today, and seeing him drain three pointer after three pointer, I couldn't resist approaching him, and I said, "With your height, your outside shot should be considered cheating!" He just laughed (Charismatic young man.) and I think he doesn't mind what it is called. Holy Som #$%^$! Kriener, Nunge, Garza....that really isn't going to be fair.

Oh well...guess it'll suck to not be us.

As long as Kriener, Nunge, Graza and Cook can match up and contain let's say Bridges, Langford, Ward and Jackson Jr, I say let's GET IT!

the Cook / Nunge matchup was fun to watch. we have not had the physical ability of a Tyler Cook...in a long long time. The only player I can recall who even comes close might be Ed Horton. The guy is a beast who clearly is expanding his game & skills. He is 'not' just a dunk guy.

Nunge was doing his best & stuck his nose right in there but Cook was way too much to handle. Nunge showed me a lot in that he didnt back down. He also didnt shoot from outside as well as he can...but had a number of nice offensive moves. Wow...

Cook played all 40 minutes and was very active especially early on..backed off a little in the 2nd half..actually handled the ball more with some really nice back door passes to his teammates.

I dont know if he is a 4 year player..but would suggest enjoy him while we have him. I've been very impressed with Cook as well as others such as Kreiner..it doesnt look these guys have been sitting around since the end of the season..between workouts, practices with coaches, pre-trip practice these guys look season ready.

I know we hear well its just the PTL ( and I agree ) .. its not organized ball...but anyone that was there yesterday (who was paying attention) saw alot of hustle & fast pace action, including some defending. You know these teams do not have any practice time together..most of them have not even played with a number of their PTL teammates .. doesnt mean there are not steals, on ball defending and alot of banging going on.

Love Garza's demeanor. How many PTL players sit with the scorekeepers at the table throughout the 1st game watching the Cook vs Nunge/Ellingson game?

For those of you that have attended PTL games you know Commish Randy Larson as a PTL coach is very vocal...to the point he is really horse...because he talks (yells) in a rapid speed form...I have to admit I dont understand what he is saying>>>>I get a real kick watching some of the player reactions (AW facials are priceless).. I wonder if they are in the same boat as I am? ... not putting Coach Larson down...his decades of running the PTL have allowed those who are able to attend to get a sneak preview.

In a sprint, Kriener wins. But Garza is not stop relentless in the long haul, more so than most. No knock on either. Garza is not now up to Woody defensively, but given the guys he has to scrimmage with he has plenty of time to be ready by the start of the season.

I dont anticipated any of our bigs being as good of a defender as Woodbury.

Adam really had a tremendous mental grasp of defense from the start.

He was one of the few who could really defend the pick and roll the way Fran wants it done.

Garza can probably hold his own on the block but its all the other help and cut off situations where Woodbury was really good.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like we have several guys who play with some attitude, and that might be the main thing that was missing with the prior group of players. I hope to see a little more of that from Moss and Ellingson, and even Uhl, this year.

I dont anticipated any of our bigs being as good of a defender as Woodbury.

Adam really had a tremendous mental grasp of defense from the start.

He was one of the few who could really defend the pick and roll the way Fran wants it done.

Garza can probably hold his own on the block but its all the other help and cut off situations where Woodbury was really good.

I agree Woody high standard ... but way too early to say any of our bigs cannot be as good or even better, It starts with demeanor IMO...Garza has all of that...as well as some others. Garza will bring it...just a matter of the experience.

I agree Woody high standard ... but way too early to say any of our bigs cannot be as good or even better, It starts with demeanor IMO...Garza has all of that...as well as some others. Garza will bring it...just a matter of the experience.

Garza will bring it, shove it into his opponents mouth, make him chew and swallow, and then go get more. And what is really cool is he's not even mean about it, he just loves playing basketball. We are going to be very glad this kid is on our side.

I can't WAIT to watch Garza when we play Purdue. It might not last long (fouls) but Haas will find Garza in his shirt, his shorts...after the game Garza might even take Haas home as a pet.

I am all in on the Garza ride. This is going to be fun.

Garza will bring it, shove it into his opponents mouth, make him chew and swallow, and then go get more. And what is really cool is he's not even mean about it, he just loves playing basketball. We are going to be very glad this kid is on our side.

I can't WAIT to watch Garza when we play Purdue. It might not last long (fouls) but Haas will find Garza in his shirt, his shorts...after the game Garza might even take Haas home as a pet.

I am all in on the Garza ride. This is going to be fun.

Not saying Garza won't eventually match up against Haas but you really have to see how big Haas is in person to appreciate it. He's one of the biggest guys I've ever seen on the bball court with size and thickness. He's enormous. Garza is gonna find that out but I do agree he won't back down.

If Nunge is better than pre-injury Bullard, Hawks really do have a great chance to finish in the top 3 or 4. Keep JBo healthy and get a more consistent, focused Moss, and this could be a really fun year.
No doubt. I have to LOL when some people post that Nunge or Garza should sit this year. Both are ballers, and have played against solid competition in high school! One other thing, if Kreiner can hold off Garza for a bunch of those post minutes, then he may be the steal of last years class, and thats saying something given the extremely solid, and improving play of JBO and Cook! :D

Not saying Garza won't eventually match up against Haas but you really have to see how big Haas is in person to appreciate it. He's one of the biggest guys I've ever seen on the bball court with size and thickness. He's enormous. Garza is gonna find that out but I do agree he won't back down.

Yeah and I remember Pemsl slamming him to the ground last year for a jump ball. We will be just fine against that guy.

Thanks for the great report, Dan
Your analysis of Jordan Bohannon made me chuckle at the
CHUCKLEHEADS who didn't want Fran to offer Jordan.

LOL Go Hawks :)

It make take a year or so for our bigs to catch up to Woody's D, but considering they both could average 20 points a game if they played 25 minutes, they are big upgrades.

Sedge

If and its a big if- Cook has a monster year- then he is gone after this year to Europe, D-league, or NBA.

I think that is part of the reason Fran loaded up on the front court- may be Cook's last year and Pemsl has a history of not staying healthy.

I hope that Fran redshirts 1 big- either Garza or Pemsl.

If and its a big if- Cook has a monster year- then he is gone after this year to Europe, D-league, or NBA.

I think that is part of the reason Fran loaded up on the front court- may be Cook's last year and Pemsl has a history of not staying healthy.

Why would anyone in their right mind leave early for Europe or the D-leauge?

Outside of some extreem financial, academic or legal predicament?

You dont leave early for those places.

Its not tough to determine if you should go early or not.

Cook's PTL play down the stretch has impressed me. After watching some of the games over again from last season and now watching Cook in the PTL I had overlooked just how good and willing he is passing the ball on the interior.

He now appears to have added the ball handling and driving to the hoop with power that will draw defensive players to help.....and allow him to take advantage of his passing ability even more.

IF, he has improved his free throw shooting to the mid 70% range I think he will have a very strong year. All this said, my guess is that he still has to add a consistent outside shot to be a real serious draft choice for the NBA.........

Legand? Your thoughts on what Cook needs to improve on to be an NBA player?

Why look for problems? Cook may or may not look to go pro. But if he does it is another feather in Iowa's cap that now we are producing pros early.

You've a right to your thoughts of course, but honestly if I could physically pull every Hawkeye Basketball fan out of their bunkers and SHOW them where this program is going...I think I'd be doing many folks a favor.

I've had one heck of a great time the last half dozen years watching Iowa get better, and better. It's fun outside and the SHTF is not going to happen. Our only big worry is if Bohannon gets hurt, and heck, last year some were calling him a fallback recruit.

Sure, big guys are hard to guard- for everyone. But think Garza in the rotation helps us to do so in general.

Another B1G big that I think is being overlooked for next year is Tshimanga of Nebbie. He really came on strong towards the end of the season. His team won't be great. But, at an athletic 6'11"/275lbs, Tshimanga could be more of a load than the plodding Haas and maybe give NE an upset or two.

Reactions: DanL53 and And1Hawk
If Cooks stock were to jump enough to go nba early, thats not a problem, its a good thing for both parties.

Whats ridiculous is saying someone would go early for Europe.

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk

Have you spoken with Tyler's mom about that? One of the reason's why Cook came to Iowa was the relationship he and his mom built with Fran. I pretty sure she wants him to get his education as well. For all the talk about Cook leaving early, I've never once heard him bring that up. Not sure why this is constantly a topic on here. At this point he's no where near where he needs to be to go by mid first round, and sign a guaranteed contract. Anything less would be foolhardy.

Have you spoken with Tyler's mom about that? One of the reason's why Cook came to Iowa was the relationship he and his mom built with Fran. I pretty sure she wants him to get his education as well. For all the talk about Cook leaving early, I've never once heard him bring that up. Not sure why this is constantly a topic on here. At this point he's no where near where he needs to be to go by mid first round, and sign a guaranteed contract. Anything less would be foolhardy.

Tyler Cook is the most talented player Iowa has had in many years, so that has a lot to do with fans overstating his NBA-ready abilities. The most likely outcome is Tyler Cook is a 2nd Round pick after his senior year. Seriously.

At my own keyboard now. I was at last Thursday and today's games. The following is a conglomerate of both nights on the guys I saw. It is also just guesswork and my amateur evaluations.

Saw Kriener last Thursday. IMHO he has come furthest of all the guys since the end of last year. His offense from hitting threes to back to the basket is comparable to many GOOD Big Ten post players, stretch four or five types. His quickness is sound, his hops are acceptable and his passing has become superb. I'm also quite impressed with his confidence and willingness to scuffle on defense. I expect his ability to pull defenses out as far as the three (and further) will open things up quite a bit under the hole.

Saw Garza twice. I like his game. You probably won't be able to tell by this part. He is not as quick as Kriener, doesn't have the hops, and is raw unless you like your meat cooked less than rare. His defense needs work in the skills department, he is not a Woody, as Woody became during his freshman year, on defense. All that said. Garza is a gamer and worn out or tired he is quicker than Kriener. Garza's motor is nonstop. I'm not going to expect Garza to overtake Kriener this year for a starting spot. But I would compare the two with Woody and Gabe back in 2012/13. Our new twin towers are far better offensively, that is both under the basket and obviously out to the 3 pt line. Defensively I think Garza has a good chance to be Woody level ready by the start of the season considering who he is scrimmaging against in practice.

These two will make a formidable post. But expect foul troubles and remember even Woody and Gabe managed only 33 mpg between them their first year together. We will need a third guy and to me it will be between Uhl, Pemsl, (saw neither) and Wagner.

Saw Wagner twice. Thursday he was hitting threes and looked like a challenger for playing time at the three. Today, he was way off on his shots and looked like Wagner from last year. To me, his athleticism and hustle are tools that would be be used as a tenth, eleventh type guy in the lineup. Bring him in when guys are hurt, or in foul trouble, at both forward and the center spot. He can give valuable time at any of those three spots and provides an excellent insurance policy. Let him fire some threes up like our centers and wing forwards will be doing. Don't expect a high percentage. It is really too bad he is struggling with his shooting touch, both finishing at the basket or heaving up shots. Everything else is there to make a fine player on both ends.

I saw Jack Nunge twice. I believe he is going to make a lot of money playing basketball in the future. And that is as a wing forward or stretch four. I will compare him and say maybe better than a Matt Bullard pre-injury. I think, he and Baer will be our 3's this season and I don't care which one starts. I will say though that this may mean we are looking at playing more zone than some would like. I see the trade-off as worth it and would even predict the opposing teams will have to adjust to defend and that's when we can go back to man to man defense even when Jack is on the court. Nunge can hit the three, run the court, penetrate. He is in stellar shape. He is a good defender though to he met his match (more in a second.). Be glad we got Nunge to be a Hawkeye. Very glad.

I saw Cook today. Reports or concerns that Cook was taking it easy in the PTL can be laid to rest, right alongside anyone including Nunge that tried to stop Cook from driving and dunking. :) No one could stop him, time and again he penetrated and slammed the ball home. And, it is NOT charging when two guys run into each other and one bounces off, is it? I mean, it is like getting hit by a tank, but technically if the defender isn't set or doesn't own the space...well, the refs were merciful because Cook was getting bumped, it just didn't matter. He even began bringing the ball up the court and driving to the hole! I emphasize, nothing, no one, could stop him.

Saw Bohannon on Thursday. He has improved, much like Kriener and Cook. Mostly, he has added to his little two dribble right or left, end up back where he started for an open three, with the addition of a one dribble, two dribble, crap, he went for the hole! Maneuver. Combined, these make him very hard to contain, and although his new little floater wasn't falling I can see the progress. Bohannon is nimble. And makes moves that cause defenders to miss.

Ellingson is Ellingson offensively. I agree with those saying he could be backup point. A safe backup that won't get us hurt. I do not believe he is the answer to start at the two guard. But as a backup at either I would not be too concerned. I took time to watch his defense and he is fundamentally sound and while no stopper is neither a liability either. All told, a good, experienced backup at either guard and we could do much worse.

Saw Dailey twice. He is not a point guard. That's a certainty. But he could challenge for minutes at the two and even the three. There have been many Iowa seasons a guy like he could see the court, I just think he's got too many ahead of him.

Saw Williams twice. My view is he is still the backup point guard until someone takes that away. And I'm not sure Ellingson can get that done. Williams has the potential to be an excellent defender, maybe a stopper. On offense he is still trying to put his shot together, and gain the confidence to keep the offense flowing. If he stays healthy the talent is there.

I did not see Uhl who was missing both nights. Nor did I see Baer but we know what to expect from him. I did not see Moss.

My overall impression. We are already better than last year. Easily a couple more wins in the Big Ten better, easily. Get your Cook, Bohannon glasses ready and be prepared to find out the pieces around them are solid. Depth is great and attitude on this team is fantastic. Good year coming folks. More to follow after that!

Really good stuff, Mr. DanL.

After watching highlights of guys like Williams and Wagner in the PTL, you can see just how much talent there is on this team from top to bottom. I agree that Wagner is an invaluable role player because of his versatility and athleticism. To be honest, I am expecting Christian Williams to do well next season and assert himself as a solid backup to JBo. It sounds like he is putting in the work, and to me, if he is able to conquer the mental aspect of the game (get his confidence back), he will provide a boost off the bench.

Unbelievable how deep this team is. What amazes me is there were no transfers this year. None. Pretty remarkable when you consider how often transfers occur as it is, but especially at a program in which minutes will be hard to come by. Leads me to believe these kids feel they're part of something special and expect the team to be really good for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Really good stuff, Mr. DanL.

After watching highlights of guys like Williams and Wagner in the PTL, you can see just how much talent there is on this team from top to bottom. I agree that Wagner is an invaluable role player because of his versatility and athleticism. To be honest, I am expecting Christian Williams to do well next season and assert himself as a solid backup to JBo. It sounds like he is putting in the work, and to me, if he is able to conquer the mental aspect of the game (get his confidence back), he will provide a boost off the bench.

Unbelievable how deep this team is. What amazes me is there were no transfers this year. None. Pretty remarkable when you consider how often transfers occur as it is, but especially at a program in which minutes will be hard to come by. Leads me to believe these kids feel their part of something special and expect the team to be really good for the foreseeable future.
We're in a transition to generally greater talent on the roster. It's exciting.

I'm beginning to believe that Williams may be important off the bench. Think his shooting practice is paying off. He's not shooting in volume but making a good percentage consistently. IF he stays healthy, he could have an important role on this team.

Tyler Cook is the most talented player Iowa has had in many years, so that has a lot to do with fans overstating his NBA-ready abilities. The most likely outcome is Tyler Cook is a 2nd Round pick after his senior year. Seriously.
While I'd agree Cook has a lot of work to do, to climb into the 1st round over the next several years, I'm not sure he's the most talented player Iowa's had in years. Now Cook is very powerful and athletic, but I'd say that Utoff was more talented when comes to over all basketball skill.

Everyone entitled to your opinion but I think you're waaaaaaaay off on this one
Not to be contentious, but why do you think that exactly. I mean as Hawk fans were thrilled to have Tyler wear the Black and Gold, and he's an athletic power forward, but he's not a standout player when it comes to power forwards in the league. He may become that, but we don't know that yet do we? We've had three or four straight years of first team all conference performers, and for a chunk of his senior year, Utoff was a serious contender for NATIONAL player of the year, and he couldn't get out of the 2nd round. Thats why his agent told teams not to draft him, and he'd take his chances as a free agent. Cook's not going to be able to carve out an NBA career by dunking over 4's and 5's in the league, so we'll see what he adds to his game before then.

you might be right you also might be wrong...I'm not ready to judge his draft spot after his senior year (3 years from now)...but I would love it if we can find out 'after' his senior year. I'm all for 3 more years of Tyler Cook. :)

Do you all remember how long it took for the first senior to be drafted this year? I think the second round after his senior season is about right. Swanigan went #22 this year I think. He certainly had shooting range and rebounding skills far beyond Cook. I'll grant you he can't defend either, but unless Cook takes a big leap forward I don't see ready until after he graduates.

64e9e3f306987f2820e5c6fa680d742cabe3b82ed995c31b36b3174333813fa6.jpg

While I'd agree Cook has a lot of work to do, to climb into the 1st round over the next several years, I'm not sure he's the most talented player Iowa's had in years. Now Cook is very powerful and athletic, but I'd say that Utoff was more talented when comes to over all basketball skill.

That's a good point about talent. I think more accurately Cook is the most exciting player Iowa has had in a while who's been rated Top 100 in high school.

Everyone entitled to your opinion but I think you're waaaaaaaay off on this one

Waaaaaaay off? I don't know. Maybe.

But lol in order for me to be way off he'll either have to be a Top 5 lottery pick or barely sniff the DLeague.

I like Tyler Cook and I hope he stays all four years at Iowa then becomes the #1 overall pick in the 2020 Draft. My guess is, though, he'll be a 2nd Rounder. No matter what, I wish him great success.

Skilled, yes. But physical ability is also part of talent.

Not to be contentious, but why do you think that exactly. I mean as Hawk fans were thrilled to have Tyler wear the Black and Gold, and he's an athletic power forward, but he's not a standout player when it comes to power forwards in the league. He may become that, but we don't know that yet do we? We've had three or four straight years of first team all conference performers, and for a chunk of his senior year, Utoff was a serious contender for NATIONAL player of the year, and he couldn't get out of the 2nd round. Thats why his agent told teams not to draft him, and he'd take his chances as a free agent. Cook's not going to be able to carve out an NBA career by dunking over 4's and 5's in the league, so we'll see what he adds to his game before then.
I agree but I compare him physically/athletically to Taj Gibson, who was a senior that got drafted late first round. I think if Tyler develops his rebounding/shot-blocking, he'll easily be a first round pick as I believe his offensive skill set will be better than Taj's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT