ADVERTISEMENT

Ok, this class actually looks pretty great...

slipHawk

HR Heisman
Mar 21, 2003
Not a lot of hype around here, but man, this group really seems to address the grumbles we have had as a fan base for a long time. I guess as they are 'only 3 star' recruits the response is muted? Also the twins being lightly recruited, I guess.

Looking at each guy though, it looks like a really talented, excellent class. One of Fran's better, maybe. We've got size, speed, handles, AND legacy all coming in. Super stoked!

The more I read about these recruits, the more I am starting to be really excited for the future.... a big thing I keep reading about these kids is mentality and I love that... Fran has been very good on the recruiting front the last few years and hopefully he hits with this class again

Not a lot of hype around here, but man, this group really seems to address the grumbles we have had as a fan base for a long time. I guess as they are 'only 3 star' recruits the response is muted? Also the twins being lightly recruited, I guess.

Looking at each guy though, it looks like a really talented, excellent class. One of Fran's better, maybe. We've got size, speed, handles, AND legacy all coming in. Super stoked!

I thought bringing in JoeT last year was a step forward---he was a quick PG that lot of fans had been clamoring for over the years. He had a good Freshman year. Ullis gives us another quicker ball handler.

This class potentially could be Fran's best, but you never know till you see them on campus. It would be Iowa fan's curse if next season gets cancelled when this is the first time in 40 years they really have a chance at winning a big10 title

Seems like a couple of years ago we were front court heavy. Now we seem to be building quite the group of guards and wings. Be interesting to see who redshirts and who gets the minutes.

Reactions: blhawk and unIowa
I especially like the guards coming in, because it gives Fran an assortment of players with different skills. We are bringing in guys who are winners and seem to play with more of an attitude than guards we had in the past. CJ and JoeT both showed that aggressive and tough attitude, and it sounds like Ulis and Perkins are the same. I see Ulis competing with Joe T for PG minutes, and Perkins is clearly an off guard, and his minutes might depend on how JBo is used. I would not be surprised if one of the two redshirts.

I have less of a feel for what the twins will add to the team. They seem to have skills and length, but I am not sure how that will fit into Fran's rotation. Whether they can crack the regular rotation might largely depend on PMac's ability to go. Hopefully, some their dad's toughness and defensive prowess will come too. If it does, they could surprise.

Big O seems to have upside, with a big body and soft hands. He doesn't strike me as a big contributor his first year or two. Maybe he can start training with Luka, get into the same sort of shape, and learn some of Luka's moves. I hope he is only needed for spot minutes this fall.

Just hope we have college basketball this fall, because this team is more loaded than any team in the past couple of decades.

Last edited:
Seems like Josh O is the biggest question mark to me. I definitely see a lot of potential, but doesn’t seem like there is nearly as much for tape or stats on him, making it pretty tough to eval. Will be fun to get these boys on campus and see how they compete.

Seems like Josh O is the biggest question mark to me. I definitely see a lot of potential, but doesn’t seem like there is nearly as much for tape or stats on him, making it pretty tough to eval. Will be fun to get these boys on campus and see how they compete.

Still think JO will redshirt if Luka is back.

I love this recruiting class. My fear is that these days kids want to play right away. I just do not see a lot of minutes available for the new class. I don't want these guys to get disillusioned and transfer after their first year. The best hope may be that we have a number of blowouts and they get to play the last 10 minutes.

Reactions: easy2 and perryhawk
Ulis and Perkins are going to make a great guard tandem a couple of years from now. Amazing how we seemed to struggle landing quality guards and now we have a bunch of them. The back court mind be a little crowded but that is a good problem to have.

This may be Fran's most balanced recruiting class at Iowa, and there's a lot to be optimistic about. My biggest concern is managing personalities and keeping everyone happy within their role on the team. There's only so many minutes to distribute and I expect eventually some kids will move on if they feel underappreciated/underplayed, but that's the nature of college basketball, especially when you start to accumulate talent.

It's a good thing, but eventually some of these guys will break our hearts by leaving.

EVERY single recruit increased their stock significantly over the year. All of them!

I have followed all of the recruits, but mainly the Murray twins, Perkins & Ulis, being that I think(Hope) that our front court is set for the next year.

This is most likely Fran's best recruiting class. Time will tell, but I see all five making contributions by year two, or earlier. And 2-3 of them starting by year 3.

Count me in for being super stoked on this class as well!!

Go Hawks!

This Josh O wont be fighting through screens!

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
How many minutes do you think Ulis will be getting per game?

Virtually none. He may be a good freshman, obviously he's climbing the rankings ladder at some services. His video looks pretty good, especially the late in the season video. I'm happy with the recruit.

But does he take minutes from the 4* three year starting point guard that's currently sitting in the top 5 career school leaders in I think every point guard related stat or the 4* returning starter-that almost everyone watching Iowa basketball (me included) think played good ball for a freshman and has already demonstrated star potential?

If Ahron takes many minutes from Joe T or Jordan we either have a really dumb coach or a superstar point guard on the roster.

Iowa will have ridiculous depth at guard next season. If P Mac can play that "wing" position is pretty stocked by returning players (Joe Dub and P Mac aren't giving up many minutes either).

Great to finally get back to the depth where some pretty quality freshmen can grow into major players without having to learn by live fire in crucial situations.

Virtually none. He may be a good freshman, obviously he's climbing the rankings ladder at some services. His video looks pretty good, especially the late in the season video. I'm happy with the recruit.

But does he take minutes from the 4* three year starting point guard that's currently sitting in the top 5 career school leaders in I think every point guard related stat or the 4* returning starter-that almost everyone watching Iowa basketball (me included) think played good ball for a freshman and has already demonstrated star potential?

If Ahron takes many minutes from Joe T or Jordan we either have a really dumb coach or a superstar point guard on the roster.

Iowa will have ridiculous depth at guard next season. If P Mac can play that "wing" position is pretty stocked by returning players (Joe Dub and P Mac aren't giving up many minutes either).

Great to finally get back to the depth where some pretty quality freshmen can grow into major players without having to learn by live fire in crucial situations.

He has to worry most about Tony Perkins, arguably the best incoming Big 10 recruit

I think Ahron will get some of Joe T’s minutes.

After reading all of this thread my question is.
What changed in the recruitment game?
We were striking out on players 2-3 yrs ago and now we seem to be doing much better.

We were striking out on players 2-3 yrs ago and now we seem to be doing much better.

Nothing changed in recruiting. Fran has the eye. Although you could say that instead of swinging for the fence and striking out, Fran cracked a double through the gap and got the Hawks some RBIs.

If that analogy makes any sense...? I'm very happy with what we got, regardless.

I agree with Cletey. O was the biggest reach in this class from a developmental perspective and it isn't even close. He could blossom with a year of development, but he is definitely not B1G ready.

Throw him in the fire with 5 - 8 mpg. That experience will pay off in the following years.

I really hope we have a season,.. it would be a shame to waste this team...

There's going to be a season. This, the 3rd Covid pandemic to come out of China, is already proving to have been far less communicable and far less lethal than the public healthcare policy experts all predicted.

National Championship

I don’t think anything has changed either, he finally just pulled a few in all at the same time. Fran has always had a good eye for a diamond in the rough, but he’s had that diamond taken from him as soon as it started shining quite a few times.

I don’t think anything has changed either, he finally just pulled a few in all at the same time. Fran has always had a good eye for a diamond in the rough, but he’s had that diamond taken from him as soon as it started shining quite a few times.
I can agree with this

I think Ahron will get some of Joe T’s minutes.
I don't think Joe T's minutes are enough to get split unless you're going to play them both 8-10 minutes. If Ulis is clearly better than Toussaint and earns his minutes, then so be it. If Toussaint works hard to enough to become a more consistent shooter and player to hold off the competition from Ulis, then great. This is exactly how it is supposed to work and either scenario leads to improved point guard play on what should be a pretty good Hawkeye team.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
There's going to be a season. This, the 3rd Covid pandemic to come out of China, is already proving to have been far less communicable and far less lethal than the public healthcare policy experts all predicted.

Far less communicable? And you think it's just going to disappear in a couple months?

I think deplorable is way off base here. I think Fran will have a 9-10 man rotation because he can in a good way. Perkins brings a different skill set than our other shooting guards, as he can be a defensive stopper, which none of our other 2 guards give us. Ulis as well. More of a combo type guard. He will play next year. Bohannon is coming off double hip surgery. Frans going to work him in slowly in my opinion. Think one of the Murray brothers will play 6-8 minutes a game as well. Nunge is not a Center and Luka can’t play 35-37 minutes. Think Josh will play as well. I’m stoked for this class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT