ADVERTISEMENT

Okie St. Grades

so cal hawkfan

HR All-American
Jun 5, 2012
Whittier CA
Surprised nobody has put these out yet, I'll give it a go.

125- C Ybarra wrestled the best he's looked vs a top 5-7 guy in the country, then sh*t the bed in the 3rd. Speaks to Iowa's depth at the weight, when our 3rd stringer can hang with someone of Mastro's pedigree. I think it’s pretty apparent that Ybarra is who he is at this point. Hoping Drake can get back in there for B10s, but not holding my breath.

133- C DeSanto was A+ on bottom as he's obviously worked on that position and made adjustments since their last meeting. ADS looked better/more focused vs RBY, he really struggled to get any offense going against Fix. Fix's TD efficiency was pretty perfect and those top guys have figured out how to weather DeSanto's storm and generate counter offense.

141- B Eirman looked pretty solid against a future star. Carter Young is a stud and will be on the podium many times before his career is over. It looked like the game plan was try an exploit Young's inexperience on bottom, unfortunately Eirman was able to turn him despite riding the dog sh*t out of him.

149- A Max Murin has looked really solid all year. I love the hardnosed workman like effort he puts into every match. I thought Gfeller was going to present some challenges stylistically for him, but the opposite was true. He out worked and out smarted Gfeller. Feeling really good about Max putting himself on the podium this year.

157- A- Kaleb Young has rebounded really well from his slow start to the season and reeled off several quality wins in a row. Like Murin he grinded out a tough win against a quality opponent. Kaleb's ability to ride, get the TD when he needed it and out hustled Sheets was the difference. Love to see KY coming on late.

165- A- The Bull looked like classic Bull in this one. When he scored the early TD, I thought he was going to run away with a dominant win, but credit to Wittlake, he hung tough and made the Bull earn it. This is a damn tough weight class.

174- A- Kemerer looked really good. Plott was a highly recruited kid out of HS who has been taking his lumps lately. Grandpa Mike is obviously not 100%, but when he decides to go get a damn takedown, he goes and gets it! Another tough weight, hoping Big Mike can keep it together and get himself a title.

184- D+ I knew Geer's tricky top game could be an issue for Abe, but I had hope that Abe's confidence was going to transition into great things for him. When he got those double unders in the first, I thought Abe might get himself a throw. Geer is an elite scrambler and Abe is a tick below that at this point. Abe is going to need to pull some upsets to get himself on the podium. Showed some big heart getting that escape as time expired avoiding the major.

197 B Jwar did just enough to get the major vs an undersized back-up. Looked a little sloppy at times, but I liked the hustle late in the 3rd.

Hwt B Big Tony still looks like he's figuring out how to compete at the highest level with his new frame. Okie State's kid is not on the same level talent wise as Big Cass, but he kept himself in the match with some scrappy scrambling. Tony absolutely has the ability to get into the finals vs. Gable, but I worry about him getting caught by one of these scrappy heavies and getting upset. When he was bigger, guys couldn't really scramble and funk out of positions, who else was sh*tting himself when Tony was rolling around on his back? Good for Tony finishing strong and getting the major.

Last edited:
Tony needs to remember basic good position and fundamentals vs guys who like to scramble. Rolling around and passing ankles with those guys is a good way to get in trouble.

Mastro was nowhere near 100%. Any conclusions made from that match should factor that in.

Maybe it’s fatigue after several years as collegiate athletes in the Iowa program, but the Hawks will need much more bonus than they’ve been showing if they hope to challenge for a title this year. In terms of bonus they’ve regressed this year despite a senior laden squad. That’s been the biggest surprise for me.
ADS wants to meet you for a workout.

Maybe it’s fatigue after several years as collegiate athletes in the Iowa program, but the Hawks will need much more bonus than they’ve been showing if they hope to challenge for a title this year. In terms of bonus they’ve regressed this year despite a senior laden squad. That’s been the biggest surprise for me.
You’re not wrong. Psu will have a handful of guys getting bonus pts in march. JE used to be a bonus machine, Alex has been sluggish at times, warner lives on the edge, no Spencer, ads will ruin a few ppl, murin is always close, cass should bonus a few. Kem just needs to advance.

Reactions: AFHawk86
While I agree with you somewhat, PSU isn't racking up bonus at most weights either. Is this because the gap has narrowed at most weights (Yes imo) I don't know. We are not 100% at 133, 141, and 174 for sure. Those are guys that scored bonus more than not last year. That is what has been concerning this year. They can win, but not as dominating as in the past. I think we will give the "anti-robots" all they want in a month. Time will tell!

I think we get a minimum of 9 team points just from bonus in the first round alone. The quality of opponents for most of our guys won't be as high as they are in the first round or two as they were last night.

I think we get a minimum of 9 team points just from bonus in the first round alone. The quality of opponents for most of our guys won't be as high as they are in the first round or two as they were last night.
Or the B10 schedule in general. B10 teams face probably 5 of the top ten guys over the course of a season. The other conferences are lucky to face a couple all year prior to NCAAs. The grind of the B10 is exponentially more than other conferences and that is a fact. The Hawks may score bonus at almost every weight in rd. 1 at NCAA'S. That says something IMO!

While I agree with you somewhat, PSU isn't racking up bonus at most weights either. Is this because the gap has narrowed at most weights (Yes imo) I don't know. We are not 100% at 133, 141, and 174 for sure. Those are guys that scored bonus more than not last year. That is what has been concerning this year. They can win, but not as dominating as in the past. I think we will give the "anti-robots" all they want in a month. Time will tell!
You forgot 125 not being 100%. Lottsa bonus missing.

I’d predict the following guys scoring bonus in Rounds 1 & 2:

Iowa (n=5)
DeSanto
Eierman
Marinelli
Kemerer
Cassioppi

PSU (n=6)
RBY
Lee
Starocci
Brooks
Dean
Kerkvliet

In Quarters:

Iowa (n=0)
n/a

PSU (n=3)
RBY
Lee
Brooks

On the backside, maybe Iowa picks up a few more, but I think the bonus advantage will be PSU’s to lose. #1 seed can be huge in this regard.

Iowa (n=5)
DeSanto
Eierman
Marinelli
Kemerer
Cassioppi

PSU (n=6)
RBY
Lee
Starocci
Brooks
Dean
Kerkvliet

In Quarters:

Iowa (n=0)
n/a

PSU (n=3)
RBY
Lee
Brooks

On the backside, maybe Iowa picks up a few more, but I think the bonus advantage will be PSU’s to lose. #1 seed can be huge in this regard.
You don’t think Desanto gets bonus in the quarters? He got a major last year in the quarters and a tech in conso semis. He would see that same caliber again in the quarters.

Iowa (n=5)
DeSanto
Eierman
Marinelli
Kemerer
Cassioppi

PSU (n=6)
RBY
Lee
Starocci
Brooks
Dean
Kerkvliet

In Quarters:

Iowa (n=0)
n/a

PSU (n=3)
RBY
Lee
Brooks

Wow, what an objective post. And you guys wonder why most here don't take you posters seriously.

You don’t think Desanto gets bonus in the quarters? He got a major last year in the quarters and a tech in conso semis. He would see that same caliber again in the quarters.
In fact, I did initially peg him for bonus when writing that, but then scratched it. More a matter of not betting for it than actually betting against it. Lower odds of a #3 bonusing in that round than a #1 or #2, and a guy like Byrd (a possible #6) has slowed him down previously.

The other factor I take into account is what I believe to be a trend of seniors having a tougher time bonusing deeper into the tournament than when they were young pups with fresh stuff. Even Zain wasn’t killing dudes as a senior like he was as a sophomore. After taking the world by storm for a while, these guys often see the world adapt just enough to avoid absolute slaughter.

Wow, what an objective post. And you guys wonder why most here don't take you posters seriously.
I don’t wonder that at all, as I have a feeling I understand why. But that is not really germane to the discussion.

So humor me, and tell me where you disagree so much that my post can’t be taken seriously. I doubt your objective opinion is really so different from mine that one of us can’t be taken seriously.

Reactions: hlstone

Iowa (n=5)
DeSanto
Eierman
Marinelli
Kemerer
Cassioppi

PSU (n=6)
RBY
Lee
Starocci
Brooks
Dean
Kerkvliet

In Quarters:

Iowa (n=0)
n/a

PSU (n=3)
RBY
Lee
Brooks

Not sure how you can confidently say RBY will score bonus. He won by decision against Ragusin, Olivieri, and Mcgee. All of whom are the type of guys you'd expect to see in the quarters.

Not sure how you can confidently say RBY will score bonus. He won by decision against Ragusin, Olivieri, and Mcgee. All of whom are the type of guys you'd expect to see in the quarters.
Fair enough. Though I will point out RBY very nearly bonused Ragusin (one of those “you make the call” scenarios), and I think I’m seeing a little something that leads me to believe he is starting to dial things up a notch. Health is my only question with him. If he’s feeling good, bonusing a #8 or #9 type is definitely on the table.

RBY is doing just enough to win. It's a long season and that isn't a shoulder decoration or is it?

We go from discussion about grades from the Iowa/Okie State dual to talk with PSU fans about how many bonus points RBY gets for the Lions. Sounds about right
People focusing on what’s relevant next month not only sounds right but probably is valid. But by all means, be the 2nd person to post grades in the “discussion about grades” vs OkSt. No one is stopping you.

- Slush

People focusing on what’s relevant next month not only sounds right but probably is valid. But by all means, be the 2nd person to post grades in the “discussion about grades” vs OkSt. No one is stopping you.

- Slush
However you choose to view it. I was just observing what's going down.

Last edited:
You’re not wrong. Psu will have a handful of guys getting bonus pts in march. JE used to be a bonus machine, Alex has been sluggish at times, warner lives on the edge, no Spencer, ads will ruin a few ppl, murin is always close, cass should bonus a few. Kem just needs to advance.
I don’t agree. Lee will. Starrocci will get a couple and so will brooks. Maybe kerk but that’s it. I like Iowa in the bonus catergory.

Reactions: pawrestler4life
ADVERTISEMENT