ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ***OL Cannon Leonard (6-9, 265 lbs) commits to Iowa***

I have zero clue but 6-9 almost seems too tall.

I have a relative that was massive as well and growing up everyone had him pegged to play D1 and maybe even the NFL.

The dude literally got too tall/big. Just couldn't move well.
How did your relative do at Iowa’s camp?

• Haha
Reactions: KKKtheiowaWay
I have zero clue but 6-9 almost seems too tall.

I have a relative that was massive as well and growing up everyone had him pegged to play D1 and maybe even the NFL.

The dude literally got too tall/big. Just couldn't move well.
Yup. 6’5-6’6 is probably the “perfect” height for an OL (though centers are often several inches shorter). You have to be a freakish athlete to perform at an elite level if you’re much taller than that - guys like Orlando Pace and Jonathan Ogden in particular.

So in order to maintain optimal quickness against edge rushers, would Cannon’s weight be best at 325 (when eventually he’s ready to play)?

Great size to begin with. Will have to learn to play low if he’s going to be a star.

With an expected tremendous OL class in which he is 1 of 5(?), and in light of Iowa's recruiting mojo at OL for future classes, any chance Leonard moves to DL? ..... 7 foot wing span has the potenetial to disrupt passing lanes.

With an expected tremendous OL class in which he is 1 of 5(?), and in light of Iowa's recruiting mojo at OL for future classes, any chance Leonard moves to DL? ..... 7 foot wing span has the potenetial to disrupt passing lanes.
No

Cannon is a multi year project. If he pans out, he could take over at the other tackle spot once KP jumps to the NFL.

Is Cannon, Harding (BB) and Freeman (BB) all from same area? I know Harding and Freeman are teammate and/or on same AAU team. Was thinking there was a 4th kid from same area going to Iowa on track schollie...wow, lots of Hawks coming from IL!

Is Cannon, Harding (BB) and Freeman (BB) all from same area? I know Harding and Freeman are teammate and/or on same AAU team. Was thinking there was a 4th kid from same area going to Iowa on track schollie...wow, lots of Hawks coming from IL!

Freeman and Cannon yes… Harding is from Moline. Freeman played @ Bradley Bourbonnais which is 7A in football so they’re a big school & Cannon played @ Iroquois West which is probably 3A possibly 4 in football and my kids played against Iroquois West a couple times in B-Ball!

Reactions: BigOHawk
Yup. 6’5-6’6 is probably the “perfect” height for an OL (though centers are often several inches shorter). You have to be a freakish athlete to perform at an elite level if you’re much taller than that - guys like Orlando Pace and Jonathan Ogden in particular.
There's a reason you don't see many 6'8"-6'9" linemen in the NFL. It's all about leverage. Guys can get up underneath you if you're too upright.

Two takeaways…

1. That’s one tall dude
2. I’m assuming there will be no change in the o-line coaching position.
I fear you're correct.

The only explanation is no one wants to join the program with an aging HC.

But the sunshine pumpers think another year of experience will make our OLine better.

Reactions: madmax1191
The difference is there won't be a huge dropoff when he leaves. Compare Iowa's likely situation to when Fry left. It took 3-4 years to recover. That's why the longer KF stays , the longer the rebuild.
Are teams that just won a bowl game in rebuild mode? Get a clue

Reactions: Bishop1971
6kfia9.jpg
Lol....I had forgotten all about this.

ADVERTISEMENT