ADVERTISEMENT

Olando Trader

Talked with someone familiar with what happened that Jackson, Michigan DB Olando Trader who committed to Iowa, was released from his commitment. He had some things in his schooling that he did not clean up and that is why he was released from his commitment.
Thanks for the confirmation. Good to know it wasn't Iowa that failed to live up to it's responsibility. Hope Orlando gets an opportunity elsewhere.

Talked with someone familiar with what happened that Jackson, Michigan DB Olando Trader who committed to Iowa, was released from his commitment. He had some things in his schooling that he did not clean up and that is why he was released from his commitment.
Interesting as it looks like TOS reported he had an offer from Vanderbilt. Perhaps that was erroneously reported.

Interesting as it looks like TOS reported he had an offer from Vanderbilt. Perhaps that was erroneously reported.
If academics were a reason for him not being able to stick with Iowa ... then there is absolutely no chance that he'd be able to land at Vanderbilt (Vandy and Texas A&M are far and away the most elite academic institutions in the the SEC ... nobody else is even close).

Vandy is #14. As far as the rankings go, all bets are off when it comes to the academic standards for the sports teams at Baylor, FL and GA. Vandy and TX A&M pretty much have strict standards across the board.
Vandy is elite. A&M is not.

Reactions: l.todd
A & M is still an AAU member. They do have stricter standards, too.
The previous poster stated that " (Vandy and Texas A&M are far and away the most elite academic institutions in the the SEC ... nobody else is even close)". I provided a link showing that to be categorically false. If you have something supporting the poster's position than provide it. Otherwise I'm not sure what you are arguing about.

Florida and Georgia are both ranked higher than A&M with Baylor not far behind.

A US News ranking as a measure of success? Also, Baylor is not in the SEC.

Anyhow, largely the prestige of a R1 university is largely based upon the sum of grant monies they pull in, the awards and reputations of their faculty, and the impact factor of the publications of their faculty. Ask yourself why tenure decisions aren't based more upon teaching prowess at such schools ... and you'll look no further than the need for schools to procure lots of research funding in order to remain viable.

Anyhow, Florida has had money pumped into it by private donors over the past decade ... but they still lag compared to A&M and Vandy. Mentioning Georgia ... okay school ... just not on the same level of prestige.

Baylor actually is pretty well regarded ... but a lot of that is linked to the prowess of their medical sciences. I have friends who are faculty there. Definitely some good research gets done there.

The previous poster stated that " (Vandy and Texas A&M are far and away the most elite academic institutions in the the SEC ... nobody else is even close)". I provided a link showing that to be categorically false. If you have something supporting the poster's position than provide it. Otherwise I'm not sure what you are arguing about.
Categorically false ... and you link the rankings from a website. That's cute. Can you even speak for the metrics of the rankings of that site?

Do you know anything about the impact factor of the research done at those universities?

Categorically false ... and you link the rankings from a website. That's cute. Can you even speak for the metrics of the rankings of that site?

Do you know anything about the impact factor of the research done at those universities?
Yes. I provided a ranking from a website that more people look to for college academic rankings than any other by far. I could show you a half dozen more and none of them would show A&M in the top 50. Not elite. Even in the SEC. Not even in the state of Texas.

Yes. I provided a ranking from a website that more people look to for college academic rankings than any other by far. I could show you a half dozen more and none of them would show A&M in the top 50. Not elite. Even in the SEC. Not even in the state of Texas.
But, from that source, how do they ascertain what makes a university the best?

I'm a career academic ... I've been around universities all my life. I've been to many a conference ... I've delivered presentations to places like caltech, Princeton, and Yale (to name but a few).

If you're a top-notch faculty and you have a chance to get a job at Vandy or A&M ... and your other options are Florida or Georgia ... your first pick likely is Vandy. A&M would be next. Florida would be next. And Georgia would follow up in the rear.

Now, maybe Florida is okay for undergrad students ... that's cool. However, I'm curious by what metrics the website uses to discern what is meant by the "top schools."

If you read my prior post ... I made mention of research monies ...

There you'll see that A&M is regularly ranked WITHIN the top 25 in terms of R&D expenditures. Notice that this data is unambiguous ... it's data ... it's not obscured by "hidden" metrics for performance.

How famous and well-respected the faculty are at an institution - that is another critical ingredient that is built into the prestige of an institution. Below you'll find a link that listed the 50 American universities with the most Nobel prize winners ...

Again, the Nobel is pretty highly regarded ... and it's easy to fact-check the linked data. (little ambiguity)

Anyhow, if you check it out ... you'll see that Florida and Georgia don't make the list ... in contrast, A&M and Vandy do (right next to each other - no less)!

If you try to sort by MacArthur fellows ... then none of them even make the top 50 (lots of B1G schools there ... btw).

Using the same website you did ... suppose we try to go by some measure like "teaching quality."

Places like Vandy, Dartmouth, and Notre Dame own some of their reputation due to their quality teaching their students.

Reactions: BBHawk
Florida and Georgia are both ranked higher than A&M with Baylor not far behind.

These rankings are pretty much useless. Harvard is number 2. This is all on reputation and doesn't take into account how the University has changed in the last three years. Do I really want to pay a couple $100K for a divinity, or fine arts degree from Harvard? Nope, but those all go into that wonderful #2 national ranking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT