ADVERTISEMENT

Old dominion

This one hits me hard. Have a lot of respect for Steve Martin.

Steve Martin flew me out to ODU for a recruiting trip. It was a long ways from Iowa, and for some personal reasons I wanted to stay a bit closer to home. When I called Steve to tell him I wasn’t coming to ODU, he asked what I was doing. I wasn’t quite sure but was down to a Midwest D2 school and another D1 school. He told me not to sell myself short and go the D1 route, and that I was good enough to be D1. I did, and had some moderate success in D1. I really appreciated that word of confidence and advice, even as I was telling him I wasn’t coming to ODU.

Obviously a $ move unfortunately many more will drop during these tough financial times.The rumors of NCAA football being cancelled if true would be a death sentence to wrestling

Obviously a $ move unfortunately many more will drop during these tough financial times.The rumors of NCAA football being cancelled if true would be a death sentence to wrestling

I really hope you are wrong...but I am afraid that you may be right. Wow, how quickly and radically things can change.

Some within NCAA are beginning contingency concept in event football cannot be held this fall . It involves moving football to Spring 2021. Majority of NCAA
Programs would be destroyed if they lose football revenue after this year’s basketball tournament revenue lost.

Reactions: Unlimited424
Schools are already cutting football staff members. Maybe this means Alabama won't have 45 ex HC analysts?

I worry we could lose the fall and winter sports, meaning no football this fall, and no wrestling until a year and a half from now.

Right now, all I can say is I'm gutted.
A guy I grew up with has a son that is a HS SR and was committed to ODU to wrestle next year. Hope he is able to find a suitable new home. Best of luck to you coach.

You are correct - Wrestling and other non revenue producing sports will be having a tough go.

Adding women's volleyball and building a $3M facility for it apparently. Doesn't make it any better but this is Title IX, not Covid-19

Reactions: pahawk68
This was posted on the Mat about the alleged author of the study that prompted ODU to remove wrestling:

Dr Richard Sander
sander@etsu.edu

https://www.etsu.edu/globalsport/facstaff/richard_sander.php

He runs the consulting business that recommended the dropping of wrestling at ODU.

In his recommendation he said...

“Without question, the historic way of ‘doing business’ must be modified if ODU is going to be nationally competitive in NCAA Division I,” Sander wrote. “Each program (sport) must be reviewed and evaluated to determine its value and future. ODU must have a plan where significant resources be identified and allocated or reallocated to insure maximum value. The idea that significant new sources of revenue (and maybe some current resources) are available, is risky and improbable. Continuing sports that bring minimal return on investment will drain the sports that bring value and national recognition and exposure.”

He also said...

• A male sport should be eliminated instead of watering down all of them.

“The study concluded, in no uncertain terms, that ODU should eliminate wrestling. It cited nationally declining numbers in the sport, including the fact that in 2007-08, there were 89 programs in the nation. Since then, that number had fallen 16%, to 75. Five of those schools are Division I in wrestling only.“

PSU site response was about what 125 pound wrestlers they can swipe from the program. Also, apparently Hayes from fosu is in play for their 149 hole.

This one hits me hard. Have a lot of respect for Steve Martin.

Steve Martin flew me out to ODU for a recruiting trip. It was a long ways from Iowa, and for some personal reasons I wanted to stay a bit closer to home. When I called Steve to tell him I wasn’t coming to ODU, he asked what I was doing. I wasn’t quite sure but was down to a Midwest D2 school and another D1 school. He told me not to sell myself short and go the D1 route, and that I was good enough to be D1. I did, and had some moderate success in D1. I really appreciated that word of confidence and advice, even as I was telling him I wasn’t coming to ODU.

I was at ODU that weekend during your recruiting trip.

Reactions: crablegs1 and moug
I was at ODU that weekend during your recruiting trip.
Jason,

Do you still keep a list of college administrators who have hurt wrestling programs? If you do, please add the appropriate person(s) (consultant, administrator) to that list. We need to remember who our friends are, and who they aren't.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT