ADVERTISEMENT

Old Fart Treat- 1969 MSU @ Iowa

ChipHilton

HB Legend
Sep 8, 2001
The second half, anyway. Schenkel and Wilkinson. I think it was Iowa's first TV appearance in 4 years. Ironically, my only memories of the game were the 4th and short and the completion to George's Dave Krull (first player I recall being a walk-on). I probably remember those plays because I had gone to the car wash- because of a date I presume- and Zabel's call was seared into something of an indelible memory. Also remembered Cilek being in, though no memory of why. I surely happily listened to the replay of the second half that night.

There were some good players out there; when I hit town in '71, the roster bore no resemblance. Two guys who had been 95% deleted from the memory banks were Chris Hamilton and Jerry Johnson. I should remember Don Osby better, but don't. Sad to watch Denny Green- a shadow of his younger self.

Typical of that team, they laid a complete egg the following week at home against a mediocre Gopher team and had previously done so at home vs Oregon State and in Madison vs a bad Wisconsin team. 7-3 might have given Nagel some job security.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News