ADVERTISEMENT

Oldy but Goody!

It proves it can be done at Iowa, but it also proves it'll most likely rarely happen over time.

Woulda been nice to be alive in that era just to experience it though...

It proves it can be done at Iowa, but it also proves it'll most likely rarely happen over time.

Woulda been nice to be alive in that era just to experience it though...
Bagdropper, yes it was nice to experience that era. Kenny Ploen, Iowa QB, (SP, I know it was not Plain) was a fellow engineering student and we used to have beers late Friday afternoons at Docs Bar on Burlington Ave. I had the opportunity to sit in the same booth several times, great guy. (He was not present during FB season!!) SouthernCal thanks for posting , brought back a lot of memories. Interesting how bad the camera work was back in those days. Iowa got back to the Rose Bowl. twice while I was there, again in 1959 against Cal I think. The only problem of living in that era, you are plenty old now..

My goal for Iowa football is to win just one rose bowl in my lifetime. Starting to doubt whether it will ever happen.

Reactions: HerkyFan
That was fun to watch. Funny that the Iowa RB got his helmet completely ripped off by the facemask and no call at the 4:15 mark.

I was there via the student train which was quite an experience--great game, great weather, great parade

lived with Bill Happel and Frank Bloomquist ---both good friends and great football players and unfortunately both gone

Reactions: ichawk24
My goal for Iowa football is to win just one rose bowl in my lifetime. Starting to doubt whether it will ever happen.
That used to be a dream we all shared as Hawk fans, surely. But the landscape has changed, and it's nothing more than another bowl game with a little extra history. The goal is now the playoffs.

Reactions: The_Joker13
Bagdropper, yes it was nice to experience that era. Kenny Ploen, Iowa QB, (SP, I know it was not Plain) was a fellow engineering student and we used to have beers late Friday afternoons at Docs Bar on Burlington Ave. I had the opportunity to sit in the same booth several times, great guy. (He was not present during FB season!!) SouthernCal thanks for posting , brought back a lot of memories. Interesting how bad the camera work was back in those days. Iowa got back to the Rose Bowl. twice while I was there, again in 1959 against Cal I think. The only problem of living in that era, you are plenty old now..
you are right. I was in the Navy at the time stationed in Oakland and went down to Pasadena to watch the Hawks beat Cal. But I am old now but that memory will never leave me.

Therein lies the underlying issue with most Iowa fans. You would rather have a good season and win the rose bowl than care about winning a NC. The goal for Iowa should be to win the NC; period.

Hawk fans are kind of like Cubs fans. Playoffs were the goal for quite a while (= bowl game victory) versus winning the WS aka NC

Hawk fans are kind of like Cubs fans. Playoffs were the goal for quite a while (= bowl game victory) versus winning the WS aka NC
I think Rose Bowl = making playoffs in that analogy. When I say playoffs are the target, I mean we need to get in so we can try to win them. Not just get there and job done. Sorry if I made it seem that way.

Therein lies the underlying issue with most Iowa fans. You would rather have a good season and win the rose bowl than care about winning a NC. The goal for Iowa should be to win the NC; period.

I think it is a bit far fetched for Iowa to win the national championship, but think it is a reasonable expectation for Iowa to win a Rose Bowl. Iowa produces about 10 Div 1 players a year in a state that has another BCS level college. It just isn't in the cards for Iowa to win a NC. It could happen, but extremely unlikely in this day and age of college football. This isn't the NFL where everybody is on an equal playing field.

To me, being a little younger (mid 50's), the Orange Bowl win "tides me over" absent of Rose Bowl wins, but it's been a whole lot of "Big 3" Disappointment overall..

When I was a kid from say 1971 to 1980, the Orange, Sugar, and Rose, if you won any of them, you were Big Time. Iowa even getting there was a distant fantasy. My gawd, Iowa sucked in the 70's.

But yeah...A Rose win...going 0-4 in my lifetime (so far) hurts, especially 1985. That one left an indelible mark. I felt going in there that there was no way that wasn't going to be a crushing win.

1981...that team was so offensively challenged I never felt good about it, like Iowa wasn't ready for Prime Time, just happy to be there.

1990, the way the season ended just did not fill me with a good feeling going into it (but only if Nick Bell catches that wheel route in the 4th...).

2015...I badly feared a hangover from the B10CG and another repeat of the 2002 Orange.

The 2002 Orange, I detested the fact Iowa was off for damn near 2 months it seemed and all the awards banquets etc...and USC was as white hot as a team can be and loaded with even better talent overall. Then CJ returns the opening kickoff - which I detest...it seems to deflate rather than inspire the team who gets it (oh this is going to be easy) - I felt it was the absolute worst thing that could have happened (yeah, I know...that's how I think though).

Out of all those 6 games, I only felt good about two games, and Iowa played somewhat well in the only game they won.

Just one Rose Bowl, a complete performance and win. That's all I want. Then I can die happy.

Bump since there is no live sports, with the second half as well...

and how about color highlights of Kinnick and the Ironmen in their two greatest victories?...

When going through my Dads stuff discovering the 1939 Iowa-ND program was pretty cool. CSB

I am the same way. I have been to 4 Rose Bowls now and they all have left me feeling the same way at some point during the game. I have seen this movie before and I know how this is going to end. Then after the game, I find myself wondering what happened to the Iowa Football Team I watched during the entire season?

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
ADVERTISEMENT