ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Oliver Martin in the transfer portal

OM

wufwo6lhb1ab7wmfsh3o

AB

2ha2fm.jpg

Someone in the know please explain this to the rest of us idiots out there. Wish the kid well but good lord.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I hope things turn out well for him. I still remember the pregame warmups before the Nebraska game----he acted like the most disinterested person in the stadium.

I go back to the 4a title game. He returned a punt but otherwise didn’t even stand out. Any legit P5 / B1G talent stands out in an Iowa 4a game of any kind. He’s just not that good, and appears to have a crap work ethic too although I know many claim he was injured last year. Whatever - he wasn’t good enough for Iowa.

With Smith and ISM graduating after the year I figured he'd maybe stay, get as much playing time this year as he can, and then start next year.
He's also behind Tracy and Ragaini right now, so barring injury to one of them or improvement on his part, he would never start at Iowa.

Well we will have to wait and hear from partyhawk420 where he’s transferring to.

funny thing is if he had to sit out and red shirt last year the odds of transferring I think would’ve been far less. Figured he could play this year after sitting out contend for playing time and even if he didn’t see the field much he would have chance to see lot of PT his senior year.

Last edited:
Did he already use up his redshirt at Michigan, or did he RS last year, at all?

From the outside looking in, this move seems more about ego and impatience, and not willing to put in the work this year for when his time would come next year (unless he actually worked hard enough to pass others and see the field this year, but now we'll never know........)

But if it were for other, more personal reasons, then that can be understandable.

You have no idea who he is, dumba$$.

No he may not but where there is smoke their is usually fire. We all made fun of Juan harris for his recruitment. This seems very similar. Martin paints a picture of " oh I'm home sick." Now it seems its a I'm going to take my ball and go home, show you guys how good i am somewhere else.

My guess is most of the under classmen surpassed him on the coaches pre camp depth chart and unless he wanted to switch possessions, it was a see ya! So just think about that before thinking cuz you MAY or MAY NOT know him you are some how special.

Think he is good enough to play at this level, just behind some quality WRs right now
This. I think he thought that he would be 1st or 2nd string at one of the receiver positions, but maybe he sees the writing on the wall. Tracy is just too damn good. And perhaps seeing the new kids made him realize that he is farther behind than he thought? I am surprised that he is not staying and competing.

He is a red shirt Junior (class of 2017) this year. If he sits this year he can only possibly play 1 year at the new school. This kind of doesn't make sense. Brandon Smith and ISM graduate this year. It only makes sense if he drops to FCS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkfan_08
I don't think anyone, other than Blair, know the why of this and we are all simply speculating. Did he actually even attend practice today?

I am not sure that his talent has been obvious. What is obvious is he wants an easy road.
Well it has. The guy is talented. You don't play/start at Michigan as a RS Freshman if you're not. You could see it during his limited playing time while at Iowa. Pick a year in the last decade outside of last year and he's probably one of our top 2 options.

Iowa just has guys that are more talented at the moment.

HotUnawareAdamsstaghornedbeetle-size_restricted.gif

This makes all the sense in the world to me. Perfect season to decide to sit out and transfer as the odds of the season happening aren’t 100 percent. Physical talent is not everything, there seems to be something going on, don’t know what it is, and it isn’t my business. But we recruit 25 kids a year plus walk ons for essentially about 25 starting spots. That is over 100 per year competing for 25 spots, all of them stars from wherever they came from. It takes something more than physical talent to achieve, he seems to need to figure that out. Last chance for him, I hope he can do it, cause it will be years of regret someday if he doesn’t .

Not sure what people aren't understanding. He was clearly in the mix last year, caught a TD in his first game as a Hawkeye. He got a little banged up that first game, Smith and Marsette were studs, Tracy stepped in and had a great year and Ragaini as well. Not sure Oliver was ever fully healthy the rest of the year. Unfortunately for him this is arguably the best all around group of receivers we have ever had. Possibly Banks Sr Season. Those guys are going to see 95% of the snaps. He was clearly talented enough to see the field at Michigan. And he was playing for us until he got hurt. And he probably had a heart to heart talk w/Kirk and Brian and guessing he was told he's the 5th receiver at the moment. That doesn't make him a snowflake. The kid wants to play. It didn't work out. Hope he finds the right fit and ends his career on the upside somewhere. The rest of you tough guys can keep calling him out however.

Seems like he was just in the wrong places at the wrong times. Either that or he just isn't that good.
I kinda think that might be the answer.
It was stated earlier in this thread that the Hawks were late to offer him.
Maybe they seen something that caused that.
When Oliver asked to transfer back Iowa maybe said sure but the issues were still prevelent.
Maybe he is a bad blocker and we all know what that means.
Could be something else.
Either way best of luck to him wherever he lands.

Last edited:
OM just picked the wrong year to try and play WR at Iowa. There's never been this many good receivers.
Wish he would have signed on right out of the gate. Fell for Harbaugh's shenanigans and it cost him.

Like many of you, I hope he transfers to a good program and performs well for his last couple years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT