ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Oliver Martin in the transfer portal

One of two things is true. Either we have an absolute top notch receiver corps that he can't compete with or OM just isn't as good as advertised.

If it was just an injury, a top tier receiver would still rise to the top when they got healthy. He either can't or won't fight for that for whatever reason. He'll have to drop down a level or find a team with a really crappy receiver room if he doesn't want to compete for a spot.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
Maybe he didn't want to play for an entitled daddy's boy OC and a program that's now known to have race issues on top of the nepotism. Anything is possible right now

Reactions: badger-007
Agreed. Doering, Blake Larson, jake Christensen, nico law, etc and throw in now Oliver martin long list of 4* players Iowa has had that every other schools who pulls in 4* players that didn’t pan out. Shoot look out west in Lincoln that’s littered with 4* bust. Be it over rated coming out of HS, injuries or what not that didn’t live up to they hype.
I think DD and Larson were 5 star players. i know that Larson was...

Sorry if his was alreay asked, but can Martin chose not to leave, or take him self out of the portal?

There are a lot of benefits to being an FBS, D1 athlete. But there are a lot of drawbacks too, and oftentimes those get lost in the glamor and the bright lights

Reactions: TheVegvisir
Sorry if his was alreay asked, but can Martin chose not to leave, or take him self out of the portal?

Yes, this doesn't guarantee he is gone. Daviyon Nixon entered the portal but chose to remain at Iowa.

Given that OM did this in August, it seems very unlikely for him to return.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
One of two things is true. Either we have an absolute top notch receiver corps that he can't compete with or OM just isn't as good as advertised.

If it was just an injury, a top tier receiver would still rise to the top when they got healthy. He either can't or won't fight for that for whatever reason. He'll have to drop down a level or find a team with a really crappy receiver room if he doesn't want to compete for a spot.
Maybe he didn't want to play for an entitled daddy's boy OC and a program that's now known to have race issues on top of the nepotism. Anything is possible right now
Come on Copeland that sounds pretty racist :)

Again, Oliver was 5th on the depth chart. Plain and simple. And the coaches trusted putting Tyler Goodson out wide to go out for passes before Oliver. What does that tell you?

Check out these comments that follow. As you can see, he didn't progress. He didn't step it up. He needed to be able to block as a WR.

From an Oct 31 KxNO / Hawk Central podcast:

Chad Leistikow of the Des Moines Register said all they can report is what the coaches are saying. Chad then stated "I thought Copeland was more open about it than anyone's been. It sounded like to me he just hasn't progressed....He hasn't progressed enough to get on the field."

* Mark Emmert then chimed in and said he didn't think there was any other explanation other than Oliver Martin is the 5th best WR in the room (after Brandon, ISM, Tracy & Ragaini).

* Mark said that he thought it was really telling when Copeland said on Tuesday that 'I really like the kid off the field.'

* Mark then said he thinks its clear Oliver's got an opportunity this week (the bye week before Wisconsin) and the coaches are looking for him to step up if he really wants to play. Mark said that if Oliver plays at Wisconsin we know that Oliver did step it up in practice during this bye week.

LINK to Listen for yourself (Skip ahead to the 6:37 mark): https://soundcloud.com/hawk-central-hour

Also, as a wide receiver at Iowa, you are required to block. Some of these tweets are telling. In the last tweet Copeland emphasizes that guys need to buy in to that (blocking) in order to play.

Yes, this doesn't guarantee he is gone. Daviyon Nixon entered the portal but chose to remain at Iowa.

Given that OM did this in August, it seems very unlikely for him to return.

Thanks ichawk24, I completely forgot that Nixon had also entered portal and stayed at Iowa

I go back to the 4a title game. He returned a punt but otherwise didn’t even stand out. Any legit P5 / B1G talent stands out in an Iowa 4a game of any kind. He’s just not that good, and appears to have a crap work ethic too although I know many claim he was injured last year. Whatever - he wasn’t good enough for Iowa.

This is a good point. I saw him play in high school and he looked smooth, but not a player that wowed you. I don't think he's a 4* talent, but that ranking got everyone excited. If the work ethic isn't great everything makes sense.

I'm bummed that it didn't work out for Martin - we certainly could have used him next season as our WR group will be fairly inexperienced.

Oliver saw snaps in every game for Michigan in '18 - that tells me he is (or at least was) 100% a P5 caliber player.

And yet he was still dissatisfied with his situation. That's why I think he's probably just a malcontent that won't really get along anywhere, or at least not for any length of time. We all know people like that, although I'm guessing none of us know Oliver Martin so its all just speculation. But two transfers in two years from a couple of pretty major football programs (hence the coaches know what they are doing) doesn't exactly bespeak perseverance and compatibility.

So the white guy didn’t think he would gets snaps ahead of the Black guys in a racist program? Makes sense.... to you

Given that it’s looking even more likely that football will be cancelled this fall, I think OM has a pretty good chance of being able to transfer to another D1 school and gain immediate eligibility, assuming the season is in fact cancelled. I wish him luck, I was thrilled when he announced he was coming back to Iowa city, as were many other people on this board. I think he’s talented enough to play at the highest level. As others have stated, I just think he came to Iowa at the worst possible time. We’re as talented as I can remember at WR, unfortunately he’s just buried on depth chart and likely doesn’t see much opportunity for playing time. Wouldn’t be shocked to see him end up at Iowa state...

I rewatched the Iowa-USC game when it was aired on BTN the other day. ISM was all-world, Smith made some clutch and tough catches, Tracy was electric when he had the ball in his hands, and Ragaini was open a lot and reliable. Add LaPorta with like six catches and Goodson with several out of the backfield and, honestly, how could Martin see the field? That's SIX pass catchers who offer more productivity, reliability, electricity, and upside than Martin. If he does stick around, though, he could play an important role after Smith and ISM graduate. Plus, it's always nice to have depth if there are a rash of injuries. Otherwise, I don't blame Martin for wanting to transfer to a school that has less high-end competition for playing time.

It is what it is. He stays and competes and gets quality snaps at some point or he gets buried on the depth chart. Nobody will know but he is leaving now and I wish him the best of luck wherever he ends up.....especially if something changes and he stays.

Just heard on WUW podcast that Nebraska might be his landing spot. This could get fun.
Would make sense considering they just ran off their top receiver. Couldn't find a weaker WR room to land in. Kid clearly doesn't want to earn it, wants it given to him.

If the Big Ten and Pac 12 cancel the SEC will not play. Are we going to have 25-30 schools play? I think it will either be all the Power 5 schools in or out. Otherwise it's just glorified scrimmages for the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT