ADVERTISEMENT

Oliver Martin Updates: Dec 27: Will not play (Shoulder injury). Is 5th on Depth Chart.

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Oliver Martin Updates: 5th on Depth Chart. 1st Catch as a Hawk is a TD! Eligible 3 Yrs('19,'20,'21)

Aug 31, 2019 Update:

Oliver's 1st catch as a Hawkeye occurred in his 1st game as a Hawkeye and it is a TOUCHDOWN.

As a result, Iowa extended it's 3rd quarter lead over Miami (OH) to 17-7.

Watch:

CLICK ON IMAGES FOR LARGER VIEW

EDV8D16UcAA5NtJ

TsihIAra

oiHZIMMF

Aug 28, 2019 Update:

Aug 27, 2019 Update:

From the Des Moines Register Reporters:

Aug 9, 2019 Update:

Kirk Ferentz says NCAA only recently received Oliver Martin petition

Chad Leistikow,
Hawk Central
Published Aug. 9, 2019, 2:25 p.m. CT

IOWA CITY, Ia. — The paperwork has been submitted, but only recently, in the quest to gain wide-receiver transfer Oliver Martin immediate eligibility for the Iowa football program.

Head coach Kirk Ferentz said the petition to the NCAA, which is largely in the hands of the UI compliance office (and an attorney hired by the Martin family), was filed "within the last two weeks." So it’s a misnomer to suggest the NCAA has been sitting on the former Michigan receiver’s case.

What took so long? Ferentz didn't offer that information. Nor does he have any clue what the NCAA will rule.

“Oliver doesn’t have any information; I don’t have any information,” Ferentz said during Iowa’s media day Friday. “There’s not much we can do. So, we’ll just remain neutral. I’d like to be optimistic, but I don’t have any grounds for that.”

Martin continues to practice well, Ferentz said. But with the season approaching fast, a quick ruling either way would help coaches determine whether Martin will be part of the 2019 plans as a redshirt sophomore or whether he’ll have to sit out until 2020.

Iowa is seven practices into fall camp, and its season opener is Aug. 31 against Miami of Ohio.

“If he can get eligibility,” Ferentz said. “I certainly think he’ll help our football team this year.”

Martin, the former Iowa City West standout, joined the Hawkeyes in early June after two years at Michigan and a quick stay in the NCAA transfer portal. Iowa was his first choice, and he was immediately welcomed back to his hometown.

On our Hawk Central radio show in June, wide receivers coach Kelton Copeland said Martin had been doing well. As for his eligibility, he said then: "Either way, he’s going to contribute. He’s going to help the program."

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...pdate-media-day-michigan-transfer/1969080001/

Aug 6, 2019 Update:

Still NOTHING.

Aug 1, 2019 Update:

No ruling yet; no known timetable.

July 19, 2019 ORIGINAL POST
Great article from Chad Leistikow.

Some excerpts:

[Ferentz] later got a question about the NCAA’s transfer portal and chuckled.

Ferentz joined the chorus of many Big Ten coaches here, saying he is confused why some players are granted immediate eligibility after transferring and others are not. He and the Hawkeyes are currently in that state of limbo. They're waiting to hear from the NCAA on whether Michigan transfer Oliver Martin will be cleared to play in 2019 for the Hawkeyes.

“Just some clarity on that whole thing would really help," Ferentz said. "I understand how the portal works. That’s pretty clear. What is confusing is who gets a pass to the field and who doesn’t, and that didn’t start this past 12 months, either."

The Martin family has hired an attorney to help with his petition.

Ferentz, in a later interview with Iowa reporters, couldn't offer a timetable of when the NCAA will rule. Athletics director Gary Barta said in a separate interview that his research showed that 60% to 70% of immediate-eligibility waivers for transfers have been approved. That would seem to increase Martin's odds.

“I’m not an expert on the topic at all, but as an outsider, it certainly seems like your chances of getting things your way increase (with an attorney)," Ferentz said. "We’ll just wait and see."

Martin loves it at Iowa, and a source says he has acclimated quickly to the wide-receivers room; building culture is an important piece to the Hawkeyes 'formula, and Martin is on the right track.

“He’s been training with the team all summer long and doing a great job," Ferentz said. "Seems to have fit right in with everybody. Obviously knows Iowa City a little bit. I think he’s doing a great job."

As for the waiver?

"We obviously think he’s a really good football player and good young person," Ferentz said. "If he could help our football team, I’m all for anyone helping us. But we’re not counting on it. That’d be a bonus.”

LINK: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...r-portal-oliver-martin-recruiting/1772814001/

Last edited:
NCAA: Obviously their
leadership sucks!!!!!!!!
Even my dog could do a better
job of managing transfers. And
my dog is dumb and doesn't
have thumbs.
Signed,
Pat Angerer
3 things:

1) I have a bad feeling about Oliver getting immediate eligibility. Hope I am wrong.

2) JBo stated that he is afraid to play in any games this season (to test his hip) and then possibly shut it down because the NCAA might not give him a medical hardship if he's played in too many games.

3) It's pretty sad that you have to hire a lawyer to deal with the BS that exists with the NCAA. Obviously, not all families are in the postilion financially to hire a lawyer.

3 things:

1) I have a bad feeling about Oliver getting immediate eligibility. Hope I am wrong.

2) JBo stated that he is afraid to play in any games this season (to test his hip) and then possibly shut it down because the NCAA might not give him a medical hardship if he's played in too many games.

3) It's pretty sad that you have to hire a lawyer to deal with the BS that exists with the NCAA. Obviously, not all families are in the postilion financially to hire a lawyer.

It's awful. You are correct on each of your 3 bullet points.

If Oliver transferred to tOSU, Georgia, Clemson or an Alabama, there's no question he plays this season. But we're Iowa, sooooooooooooo........

And we, and our sportswriters, coaches and players should very loudly, in public forums question the metrics used to determine waiver or no waiver - should Oliver be given a no.

At that point who really cares what they do next to us (could be 5 years down the road). To me it would be more important for conferences to come back on the NCAA to demand clarity.

The NCAA causes most of their own problems. They seem to want to use "judgment" - when you do that you are never right, especially when you have bad judgment.

My guess is he hired Tom Mars. He's the lawyer who represented the Ole Miss transfers including OM's former QB Shea Patterson....so there is that connection. And he is not some guy working on Umich's behalf so don't go there. Among the dozens and dozens of these cases he has taken on is Justin Fields who got instant eligibility at OSU. He is very, very good at this.

3 things:

Here's the thing. The NCAA is a member institution, meaning it operates how the member schools want it to. People that make blanket statements about the NCAA being a joke or whatever aren't thinking all that rationally. If there are problems with how the NCAA operates, the fault is with the schools.

To the transfers, just clarify the rules so that they don't spend all this time managing exceptions. My ideas (not all original).

Every player gets to transfer once and not sit out. Beyond that, you sit out. No exceptions, not even for coaches leaving or family members getting sick.
All players get 5 years of eligibility, no worrying about redshirting. They can use the 5 years however they want. No worrying about medical exceptions. You just get 5 years to use however you want. Then done.
Athletes can make money off their likeness. They also get to pay taxes on that income.
Investigations get real teeth and support. If investigated for wrongdoing, NCAA gets to subpoena records from coaches and players. Those who refuse lose immediate eligibility (players) or become ineligible to coach at NCAA school (coaches). Penalties have real consequences. If you cheat, automatic multiple-year post-season ban.

Here's the thing. The NCAA is a member institution, meaning it operates how the member schools want it to. People that make blanket statements about the NCAA being a joke or whatever aren't thinking all that rationally. If there are problems with how the NCAA operates, the fault is with the schools.

To the transfers, just clarify the rules so that they don't spend all this time managing exceptions. My ideas (not all original).

Every player gets to transfer once and not sit out. Beyond that, you sit out. No exceptions, not even for coaches leaving or family members getting sick.
All players get 5 years of eligibility, no worrying about redshirting. They can use the 5 years however they want. No worrying about medical exceptions. You just get 5 years to use however you want. Then done.
Athletes can make money off their likeness. They also get to pay taxes on that income.
Investigations get real teeth and support. If investigated for wrongdoing, NCAA gets to subpoena records from coaches and players. Those who refuse lose immediate eligibility (players) or become ineligible to coach at NCAA school (coaches). Penalties have real consequences. If you cheat, automatic multiple-year post-season ban.
Hear that @Herkmeister ? You are not thinking rationally! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Herkmeister

Yeah, you're right. Everyone knows that the leaders of all institutions always make decisions based on the beliefs and best interests of its constituents as a whole, and that all constituents are created equal.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
My guess is he hired Tom Mars. He's the lawyer who represented the Ole Miss transfers including OM's former QB Shea Patterson....so there is that connection. And he is not some guy working on Umich's behalf so don't go there. Among the dozens and dozens of these cases he has taken on is Justin Fields who got instant eligibility at OSU. He is very, very good at this.

As usual good post ellobo. Hope you are right.

Wouldn't anyone seeking a waiver hire an attorney? Seriously.

I looked at the "bylaws" that govern transfers and waivers when going down an Isaiah Moss transfer rabbit hole. The transfer and waiver rules are facially complex and certainly more so in application I'm sure. The player seeking the waiver has to argue for an outcome, and that argument is essentially legal in nature. It also seems that a knowledge of NCAA waiver grants and the ability to draw favorable analogies as precedent is pretty much like any other legal advocacy-hence a need for someone that knows previous NCAA rulings on similar facts.

Rest assured the NCAA is lawyered up like Whitey Bulger so why not hire someone that practices in NCAA regulatory/admin actions? Obviously a very specialized and niche practice; I think there are a couple of guys in DSM that do this kind of work.

Wouldn't read anything into this development. That same rabbit hole led to some articles about the NCAA reducing transfers. I do not expect Oliver to get a waiver. Other than our Hawkeye preference for immediate availability there really do not seem to be any compelling grounds for a transfer.

Wouldn't anyone seeking a waiver hire an attorney? Seriously.

I looked at the "bylaws" that govern transfers and waivers when going down an Isaiah Moss transfer rabbit hole. The transfer and waiver rules are facially complex and certainly more so in application I'm sure. The player seeking the waiver has to argue for an outcome, and that argument is essentially legal in nature. It also seems that a knowledge of NCAA waiver grants and the ability to draw favorable analogies as precedent is pretty much like any other legal advocacy-hence a need for someone that knows previous NCAA rulings on similar facts.

Rest assured the NCAA is lawyered up like Whitey Bulger so why not hire someone that practices in NCAA regulatory/admin actions? Obviously a very specialized and niche practice; I think there are a couple of guys in DSM that do this kind of work.

Wouldn't read anything into this development. That same rabbit hole led to some articles about the NCAA reducing transfers. I do not expect Oliver to get a waiver. Other than our Hawkeye preference for immediate availability there really do not seem to be any compelling grounds for a transfer.
WTF?

How much time do players spend with their position coach vs their head coach? I would imagine they spend more time with their position coach, but maybe I'm crazy?
If a HC leaving is enough for transfer, then I don't understand why a PC isn't.
As for all not getting a lawyer....$$$$$.

I still think he gets the waiver. If it is the top lawyer in the field, they usually only take cases they believe they can win. In this case, Martin has lost his OC and PC. Furthermore, Harbaugh's comments illuminate that this transfer wasn't sought because of playing time. Thus, any reasons given to the NCAA won't be viewed as pretext and who knows he may have a valid gripe that he hasn't stated publicly. I'm hopeful.

Last edited:
It may help his case that he stayed there until spring ball was over. He can say that he gave it a shot with the new OC and PC and it just didn’t work out.

Why the QB transfer to f0$u was IMMEDIATELY approved is questionable. What criteria is the ‘TRANSFER GOD’ using?

Reactions: hawkosx
How much time do players spend with their position coach vs their head coach? I would imagine they spend more time with their position coach, but maybe I'm crazy?
If a HC leaving is enough for transfer, then I don't understand why a PC isn't.
As for all not getting a lawyer....$$$$$.

That sounds like a good argument. The NCAA might already have ruled on other waiver cases that position coaching changes were insufficient "hardship" to warrant a change, however. More likely, given its the NCAA and the NCAA's Byzantine and result oriented "process" there is probably a mixed bag of results on identical or nearly identical facts. For example, a trainer leaving might be sufficient to grant a waiver to a Notre Dame or USC transfer in but the massacre of an entire coaching staff would be insufficient to grant waivers to programs like Iowa or Minnesota and our transfer ins.

The necessity of legal counsel is directly and linearly related to the ambiguity or complexity of the law, rule or regulation at issue. More a general social commentary, and since I'm retiring in the near future it doesn't make much difference to me, but we'd need far fewer lawyers if our legislators would pass fewer and far less ambiguous laws.

Here's a way to eliminate the need for lawyers in NCAA waiver cases: prohibit waivers. Everyone sits a year if they transfer. Its concise, its clear and its not subject to argument or interpretation. Arguments arise once you start creating "exceptions" to the general rule. The more exceptions, the more arguments. The more arguments, the more lawyers. Eventually the exceptions swallow the general rule and the subject of the regulation becomes a paradise for lawyers and influence peddlers.

ADVERTISEMENT