ADVERTISEMENT

Oliver Martin Updates: Dec 27: Will not play (Shoulder injury). Is 5th on Depth Chart.

Update: Martin will wear #89 for the Nebraska Cornhuskers

89 OLIVER MARTIN

• POSITION WR
  • HEIGHT 6-1
  • WEIGHT 200
  • CLASS Junior
  • HOMETOWN Coralville, Iowa
  • PREVIOUS SCHOOL Iowa City West/Michigan/Iowa

He has a good chance to earn some playing time in a 3-win program.
Especially after losing to transfer WR/PR JD Spielman who was unquestionably their best WR and was on track to break receiving records at Nebraska.

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/fo...cle_23f33bba-9a4a-5529-98c7-5e7c49162f32.html

Former Hawkeye and present Husker DC Eric Chinander seems to believe that the Nebraska WR group is somehow more talented this year despite losing Spielman.

The article mentions 6 WRs prominently including a JC recruit and three true freshman before stating that Martin is "also in the mix" in the last paragraph. Their WR group is seriously inexperienced. If Frost loses Wandale Robinson again for any part of the season they could be in for a long shortened season.

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/fo...cle_23f33bba-9a4a-5529-98c7-5e7c49162f32.html

Former Hawkeye and present Husker DC Eric Chinander seems to believe that the Nebraska WR group is somehow more talented this year despite losing Spielman.

The article mentions 6 WRs prominently including a JC recruit and three true freshman before stating that Martin is "also in the mix" in the last paragraph. Their WR group is seriously inexperienced. If Frost loses Wandale Robinson again for any part of the season they could be in for a long shortened season.

They are always a delusional bunch across the river to the west.

Have you watched how his defense defends wide receivers? Some high level junior highs would look like all pros against that group.

Have you watched how his defense defends wide receivers? Some high level junior highs would look like all pros against that group.
and the Huskers have lost 2 corners to season ending injury the past few weeks - both reserves but their secondary is now really thin on experience behind their starters. Bootle and Taylor-Britt are decent corners (Bootle was3rd team All-B10) but a lot is unknown/untested after that. One of those guys go down its going to hurt.

Speaking of Oliver Martin

***Lubick said Iowa transfer receiver Oliver Martin was still waiting to hear from the NCAA on his eligibility for this season. If eligible, Lubick said Martin would be able to help.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Has anyone considered the fact that OM may have never been as good as advertised? It seems to me that his high school tape and career were kind of meh. He made his name at the rivals camp and his play on the field in high school did not match the camp hype. His high school play probably rated a low 3 star at best.

Has anyone considered the fact that OM may have never been as good as advertised? It seems to me that his high school tape and career were kind of meh. He made his name at the rivals camp and his play on the field in high school did not match the camp hype. His high school play probably rated a low 3 star at best.
This exactly....I never really understood the hype watching West High games...usually D1 players at high school level stick out like a sore thumb in Iowa. But I just assumed the talent evaluators know a lot more than this fan....

tenor.gif

Speaking of Oliver Martin

***Lubick said Iowa transfer receiver Oliver Martin was still waiting to hear from the NCAA on his eligibility for this season. If eligible, Lubick said Martin would be able to help.

I see Kurt Warner's kid was just put on schollie there.

Stats aren't everything but I think he has the 4A receptions, receiving yards, and rec TD record in Iowa...

If Huskers or anyone else is looking at a high-school ratings from several years ago when judging transfers they are just being naive about all that star ratings. First of all, many of the 4-start high school ratings are done by people that never laid eyes on the players and have no idea about the personalities or drive...or that the kid may have peaked as a big fish in a small pond high school environment. Kid shows up as a freshman and get their feelings hurt when they are not immediately awarded a starting position...or some low rated kid is out playing them...because that kid has more drive and work ethic to get better,,,rather than respond by working harder, they sulk and transfer.

I'm not buying anything about transfers being the savior of programs or position group of a program....Husker fans and media (and coaches) are notoriously delusional when it comes their perceptions of players that have never played a down in Big10...they do that every year...and this year is no exception.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
That sounds like a good argument. The NCAA might already have ruled on other waiver cases that position coaching changes were insufficient "hardship" to warrant a change, however. More likely, given its the NCAA and the NCAA's Byzantine and result oriented "process" there is probably a mixed bag of results on identical or nearly identical facts. For example, a trainer leaving might be sufficient to grant a waiver to a Notre Dame or USC transfer in but the massacre of an entire coaching staff would be insufficient to grant waivers to programs like Iowa or Minnesota and our transfer ins.

The necessity of legal counsel is directly and linearly related to the ambiguity or complexity of the law, rule or regulation at issue. More a general social commentary, and since I'm retiring in the near future it doesn't make much difference to me, but we'd need far fewer lawyers if our legislators would pass fewer and far less ambiguous laws.

Here's a way to eliminate the need for lawyers in NCAA waiver cases: prohibit waivers. Everyone sits a year if they transfer. Its concise, its clear and its not subject to argument or interpretation. Arguments arise once you start creating "exceptions" to the general rule. The more exceptions, the more arguments. The more arguments, the more lawyers. Eventually the exceptions swallow the general rule and the subject of the regulation becomes a paradise for lawyers and influence peddlers.

Or don't require kids to sit....it is their labor

Well, there is no way a local kid is going to pick Michigan over the Hawks. No way.

Yawn! Just woke up from a 4 year nap! Whew! Anything happen while I was sleeping?

Might be a tad bit early to judge his career yet.
How so? He earned basically zero playing time at two different schools and went to a program where I doubt anyone as a receiver lights it up. I'm pretty confident his career is going nowhere fast. However I'm sure plenty of people will talk about how great he was in high school.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
How so? He earned basically zero playing time at two different schools and went to a program where I doubt anyone as a receiver lights it up. I'm pretty confident his career is going nowhere fast. However I'm sure plenty of people will talk about how great he was in high school.

How so? He still has 3 years left in his college career. Will he be a star? Maybe not, but it’s also to early to call him a failure.

ADVERTISEMENT