ADVERTISEMENT

Oliver Martin

Kurt Warner

HR Heisman
Jan 12, 2010
Iowa
Has he been on the field yet for the mighty wolverines? Just wondering, not that anyone really cares :confused:

Has he been on the field yet for the mighty wolverines? Just wondering, not that anyone really cares :confused:
I've heard from some people who know him that he's not redshirting. Looking at that roster though and seeing them play their first two games, I'd be very surprised to see him play any meaningful snaps at wr this year.

After seeing our young wide receivers yesterday I'm not sure he get much playing time this year at Iowa

This can't be serious. Yes he would have seen the field for Iowa. Newcomers have been impressive for the Hawkeyes but Oliver is a stud

On paper. ISM is pulling away in production. I predict Martin will be less productive than Darboh or Arrington.

Dumb move, but it's Martin's loss/choice.
Yeah, I don't think it was a great move for him. Likely would have had good PT with Iowa this season. If he doesn't get PT at Michigan this year, could get lost among better talent. I looked at Michigan's players both ahead of him and in his class (after we lost Oliver), and a lot of talent there, if you buy into the "stars" rankings.

Come on guys, are you serious here? "On paper," ISM has a grand total of 4 catches and a fumble for his career. He has been thrust into early playing time because we come into the season with one of the worst WR corps in the Big 10.

Contrast that with Martin, who is on a top 10 ranked program that has 6 different WRs on their roster who are 4 star or 5 star guys.

But, "on paper, ISM is pulling away in production?" lol Trust me, if Martin were at Iowa, you would not even know about ISM, because Martin and Vandy would be starting and Easely would be #3.

On paper. ISM is pulling away in production. I predict Martin will be less productive than Darboh or Arrington.

Dumb move, but it's Martin's loss/choice.

Come on guys, are you serious here? "On paper," ISM has a grand total of 4 catches and a fumble for his career. He has been thrust into early playing time because we come into the season with one of the worst WR corps in the Big 10.

Contrast that with Martin, who is on a top 10 ranked program that has 6 different WRs on their roster who are 4 star or 5 star guys.

But, "on paper, ISM is pulling away in production?" lol Trust me, if Martin were at Iowa, you would not even know about ISM, because Martin and Vandy would be starting and Easely would be #3.
I agree with you. I feel for the kid. He's never going to see meaningful playing time at Michigan. A program that is maybe 3rd or 4th best in the B1G East. He could have developed at Iowa. He might have been a starter at Iowa his Junior or Senior years.

Reactions: VodkaSam
Maybe, but i don't think I would trade ISM for Oliver.

Bs

Uh no, I don't trust you and do not believe ollie would be playing over ISM. Kid is going to be great, trust me on that.

I've heard from some people who know him that he's not redshirting. Looking at that roster though and seeing them play their first two games, I'd be very surprised to see him play any meaningful snaps at wr this year.

Thats odd... I'm not doubting what you heard but I was hearing the opposite from someone also who would know. Basically, it sounded like if they don't need him this year he will redshirt.

I heard he was going to switch to the swimming team with Hardbaugh his biggest fan(who else would jump in a swimming pool over a recruit!);)

Uh no, I don't trust you and do not believe ollie would be playing over ISM. Kid is going to be great, trust me on that.
All four of the freshman WRs would of complimented each other perfectly. B. Smith split-end, ISM flanker, M. Cooper slot and O. Martin alittle of all three. Not to mention we all know by now what K. Ferentz values in a player and O. Martin checks all those boxes. If Michigan were going to pass alot more than we will. Or were going to have alot better QB than Stanley. Then I would understand. I guess for every Kaeding or Dwight theres a Martin or AJ Derby

Trust you why exactly? Before Martin performed well at some camps, he had almost NO interest from D1 schools. Then he gets a number of offers from top schools, and he's an all american. To this point neither you or I have any idea what Martin will do at Michigan, or what he would have done at Iowa. You can claim he'd be starting at Iowa, but you have no way of knowing that, so whats the point?

ISM is a better fit. We needed a field stretcher and speed merchant. Not that Oliver is a bad athlete by any means, but I think things ended up working out just fine for Iowa. What was thought to be a huge question mark may very well end up being a strength before season's end. I love the potential of our receiving corps.

He should have gone to Iowa- then chance to be a mover and shaker in Iowa city like Dwight, leading etc

You have no idea what you're talking about. Martin clearly a different level recruit but recruits bust and/or get outplayed/beaten out by lower level recruits all the time. Not saying he will, just saying nobody has any idea. What we know for certain is that ISM is one of the biggest reasons we won yesterday and he shows a lot of upside. Downplaying what ISM has done by labeling it "4 catches" is just a dick move. Two of them were outstanding catches for TDs. I get that you seem to be the type who feels compelled to constantly prove you're the smartest in the room but stfu on this one.

I lol at the thought of someone saying that playing football at Michigan over iowa is a bad choice.

I lol at the thought of someone saying that playing football at Michigan over iowa is a bad choice.

Anyone who says that is full of shit. Too many Iowa knobs feel like a kid like Oliver or Darboh or Arrington or Piersbacher owe something to the Iowa program and by choosing another program where they feel it's a better fit is treason. Stupid thinking. I'd never hold it against Oliver Martin for picking Michigan. At the same time to say that if he were at Iowa right now that players like ISM wouldn't see the field is just flat dumb. We've had 4 and 5 star guys come in and do nothing, bust out, get beaten out by 2 and 3 star guys. Oliver hasn't played a lick of B1G football. ISM is one of the big reasons we won yesterday. To downplay that as if you know exactly what Martin would be doing on the field is just small thinking.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Martin clearly a different level recruit but recruits bust and/or get outplayed/beaten out by lower level recruits all the time. Not saying he will, just saying nobody has any idea. What we know for certain is that ISM is one of the biggest reasons we won yesterday and he shows a lot of upside. Downplaying what ISM has done by labeling it "4 catches" is just a dick move. Two of them were outstanding catches for TDs. I get that you seem to be the type who feels compelled to constantly TRY AND prove you're the smartest in the room but stfu on this one.

FIFY

You have no idea what you're talking about. Martin clearly a different level recruit but recruits bust and/or get outplayed/beaten out by lower level recruits all the time. Not saying he will, just saying nobody has any idea. What we know for certain is that ISM is one of the biggest reasons we won yesterday and he shows a lot of upside. Downplaying what ISM has done by labeling it "4 catches" is just a dick move. Two of them were outstanding catches for TDs. I get that you seem to be the type who feels compelled to constantly prove you're the smartest in the room but stfu on this one.
If you know Iowa Football and Ferentz....you know ISM would never see the field if he wasn't something special. He is going to be great.

Welp, near as I can tell he has no rushing yards, no catches. No idea if he's even hit the field yet.

Welp, near as I can tell he has no rushing yards, no catches. No idea if he's even hit the field yet.
Martin has not yet played a single play - special teams or otherwise.

Any comparisons at this point are moot. As it stands thus far, it appears as though Smith-Marsette is getting a veritable head start on Martin ... and, in addition to that, I frankly like the upside of Stanley more than Speight. Thus, Smith-Marsette will benefit from having a very high quality QB passing him the ball for much of his career. With any luck, we'll have a good one when he's a SR too.

Given that Michigan is pretty young at WR and Martin hasn't yet gotten on the field ... in all likelihood, it might not be until Martin is a RS JR that he has a shot for a starting gig (if he can earn it). The opportunity at Iowa was obviously greater ... and Smith-Marsette is already positioning himself really well to be a regular starter as a TR SO. Heck, already against ISU this year he had an "official" start.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT