ADVERTISEMENT

Oliver Martin

why will next year be different from this year with the returning WR corps?

Going to have a breakout year next year.
I hope to see him healthy and working hard to contribute. He's has the ability to put this team over the top on offense. If he does not play next season and there is no apparent reason why, I will completely lose my chit.

brian so far has shown that he will tweak and change the O yearly based on the guys he has. the occasional 5 wide look is indeed more than a mere possibility with the current wr crop.
Also, Brian has been pretty candid about the fact that he's a fan of the air-raid O. He's not going to radically shift our identity ... however, he will tweak things to fit our personnel.

The coaches are high on both Hutson and Lockett that redshirted. Then there was an under-the-radar transfer from Buffalo(?) that sat out this past year.

This receiver room is as deep as we’ve seen in a long time at Iowa. Oliver missed getting in on the ground floor by going to Michigan so he had better bring an A+ game if he wants to see the field at all. I’m not sure it’s going to work out for him here.

The coaches are high on both Hutson and Lockett that redshirted. Then there was an under-the-radar transfer from Buffalo(?) that sat out this past year.

This receiver room is as deep as we’ve seen in a long time at Iowa. Oliver missed getting in on the ground floor by going to Michigan so he had better bring an A+ game if he wants to see the field at all. I’m not sure it’s going to work out for him here.

I agree 100%. Someone in the lounge claims that he was nursing a shoulder injury all season, though. So maybe he hasn’t shown everything he can since he’s been at Iowa. A great problem to have, though.

I agree 100%. Someone in the lounge claims that he was nursing a shoulder injury all season, though. So maybe he hasn’t shown everything he can since he’s been at Iowa. A great problem to have, though.

Maybe but in the end, you can only play so many guys. All that matters is putting the best players out there right now. What you did in high school and your star ranking / accolades mean zero now. If he gets healthy and can beat multiple guys out, then that’s great but if not I’m losing no sleep over it. There’s competition in life.

IOWA CITY — Iowa wide receiver Oliver Martin has been granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA, the University of Iowa announced Wednesday. ... “Yeah, he's definitely in our plan to play him, and he would be on the travel team if we were traveling,” Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz said Tuesday.Aug 28, 2019 CR Gazette

The kid's gonna get playing time at some point. Can't see why he would have transferred here with no chance of playing.

Reactions: HumbleP1e
why will next year be different from this year with the returning WR corps?
We all assume his not playing was related to WR depth. It may have been something else, subtle or not, that was never released. Just saying. Could be more to this than any of us know.

Also, Brian has been pretty candid about the fact that he's a fan of the air-raid O. He's not going to radically shift our identity ... however, he will tweak things to fit our personnel.

not to be argumentative but what is our identity. Its claimed we are a run first offense but seriously we haven’t been a very good running team . Wisky is a run first offense and they are pretty darn good at that.

Reactions: Pepperman
not to be argumentative but what is our identity. Its claimed we are a run first offense but seriously we haven’t been a very good running team . Wisky is a run first offense and they are pretty darn good at that.

And in Bowl season, Iowa looked more like a Pass first team, vs the vaunted, USC Trojans.

And Wisconsin LOST to their Pac-10 opponent.
Glad someone held up the Football tradition of Big10.

:D

Frankly we aren't much of any kind of offense team. Our rankings just continue to sink. Help is needed.

We all assume his not playing was related to WR depth. It may have been something else, subtle or not, that was never released. Just saying. Could be more to this than any of us know.
He caught a TD early on and then just disappeared....

The perception is that we're "run first" ... but isn't the identity of the team, that is simply perception. We're predominantly a zone-blocking team, our passing game is largely-reliant on play-action, we strongly value offensive balance, and we're very deliberate about our pace of play (we typically try to limit the number of possessions in the game). Furthermore, linked to the above features ... we very much value playing a physical brand of football. Playing physical football doesn't necessarily imply anything about run or pass ... however, what it means is that we want to dominate and wear down the guys who oppose us.

Air raid? *Shudder* I now hope he becomes our head coach NEVER.

And in Bowl season, Iowa looked more like a Pass first team, vs the vaunted, USC Trojans.

And Wisconsin LOST to their Pac-10 opponent.
Glad someone held up the Football tradition of Big10.

:D
We need to be who we are (running team), but we need to be a helluva lot better at being us at times, and there is nothing (NOTHING) wrong with throwing to open up the run. Other teams choose to run. Rarely does a team other than Iowa see 8-9 in the box. It is absolutely expected we will run 50% of the time and more if we're ahead. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I think NE Patriots are a good model. They will throw 99/100 times if that's what it takes to win. They will also not throw a pass for an entire half if it's best. Anything in between. I hate the Patriots for this reason. No allegiance to anything but winning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT