ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Viewership is Tanking

Four things have hurt
1. Time zone difference where you find out the results during the day and they want you to watch the replay that night. People that care just watch the highlight videos online.
2. NBC's coverage sucks. Too many human interest stories and too much of a few select sports while not having enough of all of the other various sports. I haven't seen wrestling, track cycling, or may other niche sports broadcast. But I've seen a ton of handball, volleyball, beach volleyball, swimming, and track.
3. Lack of organization in how to watch. I have the NBC Sports app on my Roku and can figure that out, but a lot of other people likely don't know how to do that.
4. Lack of superstars this time. No Usain Bolt is hurting as he was must watch TV every time he was on the track. No Phelps in the pool. Biles dropping out for most of the competition didn't help either.

I have been watching the Olympics when I can. I do record everything, so I watch nothing live. However, watching the individual events on YouTube is far easier and it cuts out all the banter.

The women's pole vault highlights posted earlier today already has over 700,000 views, so this seems to be a popular way to watch the Olympics this year.

Is it because of streaming platforms? Traditional tv dead?

Those are the reasons I haven't tuned in. We don't subscribe to cable or satellite, and after downloading peacock and realizing you can't watch entire events i just stopped trying. It's not worth the effort or being nicked and dimed trying to acquire the right streaming services for the events I'm interested in seeing. I find reading about results on the NBC site to be unnecessarily convoluted as well.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Is it because of streaming platforms? Traditional tv dead?

No logical timeline. We are used to being the center of the tv universe, so if it’s not on our time we don’t tend to watch. See British open.
plus you never know what’s on.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I've watched more of the Olympics in the past. A big part of it was national pride.

Just not feeling it these days. 🥺

My biggest issue with the network coverage is the constant commercials. Every 4 minutes they take commercial breaks. Not sure if that happens on the Peacock server or not.
Not to mention that half of them have an adult or kid with an artificial leg. Is that really necessary? Wokeness gone too far.

That being said, the Jessica Long commercial is my second favorite (the truck commercial with Walter the cat is #1).

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT