ADVERTISEMENT

OM~~~Hindsight 20/20

Harbinger273

HR Heisman
Feb 17, 2016
It is now very clear that Oliver Martin should have been on the field all year long. He is a highly capable receiver who can most surely hack it with anyone on the team right now. Gotta keep guys like him interested or you get what we got when he first committed out of High School. I hope he sticks it out and shows how elite he can be. He could have gotten a jump start with that this year if he hadn't been relegated to riding the bench. I look forward to hearing about the incredible rapport he and Petras establish between now and the 20 season then seeing him catch 65 balls for 850 yds and 9 tds.

The in my thing that’s “very clear” is that you’re a fool, OP.
Try to contribute something valuable to the thread bud. I know its a struggle for you.

OM is a talent to behold and could have performed very well this year if given the chance all year. Time to change the operation a little bit and put a guy like him on the field.

OP, I’m not sure if you’re being serious here. I hope not. No disrespect to OM but there’s probably good reasons behind his lack of snaps, it may just be he isn’t quite there yet. He’s got two full seasons left, I’ll pass judgment after that.

Good, another OM thread, just what we needed.

The kid is good, he is going to get better, but he has some very, very stiff competition (a great thing for Iowa!).

OP should hit the showers and take the rest of the day off, you have had a rough day.

It is now very clear that Oliver Martin should have been on the field all year long. He is a highly capable receiver who can most surely hack it with anyone on the team right now. Gotta keep guys like him interested or you get what we got when he first committed out of High School. I hope he sticks it out and shows how elite he can be. He could have gotten a jump start with that this year if he hadn't been relegated to riding the bench. I look forward to hearing about the incredible rapport he and Petras establish between now and the 20 season then seeing him catch 65 balls for 850 yds and 9 tds.
I guess some clarification is in order. This has to be one of several threads you've started about how clear it is that OM should have been our best WR. Seriously asking, our you related to the kid? A close family friend? Have access to everything he's done while on campus? PLease don't just come back with the same stuff as last time, where you know just because you know? Just because he played some at Michigan,(with marginal results), and he was a really good high school player doesn't mean a great deal at this point. Tracy was the player of the year in Indiana. ISM and Smith had very solid years. If anything, one could make the argument that he may have been an upgrade over Ragini who had already impressed the staff before OM arrived on campus. The only thing I know for sure, is that Copeland has done a pretty solid job with the WR's the last couple of years, and its his decision who should be playing. So why exactly do you think he's playing the wrong guy?

The kid is good, he is going to get better, but he has some very, very stiff competition (a great thing for Iowa!).

OP should hit the showers and take the rest of the day off, you have had a rough day.
Just had a shower. I'll be back up at 0530 to go to the gym. Out here son!

I guess some clarification is in order. This has to be one of several threads you've started about how clear it is that OM should have been our best WR. Seriously asking, our you related to the kid? A close family friend? Have access to everything he's done while on campus? PLease don't just come back with the same stuff as last time, where you know just because you know? Just because he played some at Michigan,(with marginal results), and he was a really good high school player doesn't mean a great deal at this point. Tracy was the player of the year in Indiana. ISM and Smith had very solid years. If anything, one could make the argument that he may have been an upgrade over Ragini who had already impressed the staff before OM arrived on campus. The only thing I know for sure, is that Copeland has done a pretty solid job with the WR's the last couple of years, and its his decision who should be playing. So why exactly do you think he's playing the wrong guy?
Listen man, I don't need to provide you with any new reasons that fit your qualitative criteria. You've seen what I posted on why I think he should have been on the field much more. He could have been our top guy if he got the reps. I don't share your presumptive sentiment toward Copeland. However, I did not say he is playing the wrong guy. Its who he is not playing thats the issue.

Listen man, I don't need to provide you with any new reasons that fit your qualitative criteria. You've seen what I posted on why I think he should have been on the field much more. He could have been our top guy if he got the reps. I don't share your presumptive sentiment toward Copeland. However, I did not say he is playing the wrong guy. Its who he is not playing thats the issue.
Quit being a pussy and answer the question.

OM is at the very least on the same level as our most talented and capable receiver if not better. Said it numerous times. If you or any other don't like my reasoning, thats on you/them. Pussy.
Pretty strange when a player's relative or friend gets on here anonymously to do this kinda stuff. If he wants more playing time he will have to beat out another player for the spot, period

Full Discosure: I am not a relative or personal friend of Oliver Martin or his Family. I am however fully invested in my statements about his playing time.
Pretty strange when a player's relative or friend gets on here anonymously to do this kinda stuff. If he wants more playing time he will have to beat out another player for the spot, period

OM is at the very least on the same level as our most talented and capable receiver if not better. Said it numerous times. If you or any other don't like my reasoning, thats on you/them. Pussy.
What exactly makes you qualified to make such a statement?
His Athletic ability, body or work including High School, his high level of intelligence and pedigree.
Spoken like someone who has never actually met any of these guys, including Martin.

HS Bodies of work

Brandon Smith
(2015, MS 5A Football > IA 4A)
78 Rec, 1382 Yds, 15 TD

Ihmir Smith-Marsette (2015, NJ North Group 1 >>> IA 4A)
38 Rec, 778 Yds, 13 TD + 4 KR/PR TD

Tyrone Tracy (2015, IN Class 5A >>>>> IA 4A)
27 Rec, 670 Yds, 7 TD, 147 Car, 1239 Yds, 11 TD

Nico Ragaini (2015, CT Prep School > IA 4A)
988 Yds, 6 TD

Full Discosure: I am not a relative or personal friend of Oliver Martin or his Family. I am however fully invested in my statements about his playing time.
I am a friend of the family. Frankly, you come off as having inside info that you clearly don't have. I can assure you at this time he is only concerned with getting better. Take it for what it's worth.

I am a friend of the family. Frankly, you come off as having inside info that you clearly don't have. I can assure you at this time he is only concerned with getting better. Take it for what it's worth.
He's been pretty dinged up most of the year as well, hasn't he?

He's been pretty dinged up most of the year as well, hasn't he?
I would really like to say, but I am not saying any more out of respect for my relationship with them. Sorry, but I have made that mistake before. I do truly hate when people make assertions about a kid without knowing everything, which is why I said something. FWIW

giphy.gif

Reactions: hawkandroll
Maybe the reason he’s not playing isn’t necessarily football. Not sure why he was granted the waiver (nor do I need to know) but it could also be the thing that’s keeping him from playing a ton.

His collegiate body of work includes 11 catches in 7 games at Michigan after red shirting prior to this season. HS stats are irrelevant regardless of what his were. If he showed in practice that he deserved more playing time, he would have gotten more playing time.

I am truly pulling for the kid to become an elite player and contributor!!! But until he puts in some serious time in the S&C area and busts his butt on the practice field he is not going to move ahead of the 4-5 guys who are currently ahead of him. Unless he was pretty dinged for the Nebraska game, I was seriously wondering why he was even on the travel roster, especially based upon what little effort he showed in pregame warmups. Brandon Smith was struggling to run and couldn't make any cuts, but he was still expending triple the energy that Martin was!

Jesus! I'd rather see this than all these Fusker threads!

Reactions: WestIAHawk
I would really like to say, but I am not saying any more out of respect for my relationship with them. Sorry, but I have made that mistake before. I do truly hate when people make assertions about a kid without knowing everything, which is why I said something. FWIW
I would think that assertions from both sides would bother you then? Especially the side that says maybe he isnt as good as we all thought? Maybe the other guys are just better?

Harb just thinks the kid should get more playing time, so hes the only one you call out?

I am in the camp of why didnt OM get more playing time? Makes one wonder and I think both sides of this argument have no idea but would like to know...

In reality we are fans and it is none of our beeswax...

Last edited:
Reactions: Wadzinator
I thought maybe he would beat out Tracy. Seems like Tracy had quite a few drops this year - yes/no??
I thought OM ran precise routes, etc and played the same position as Tracy. Guess we will see next year.

I would think that assertions from both sides would bother you then? Especially the side that says maybe he isnt as good as we all thought? Maybe the other guys are just better?

Harb just thinks the kid should get more playing time, so hes the only one you call out?

I am in the camp of why didnt OM get more playing time? Makes one wonder and I think both sides of this argument have no idea but would like to know...

In reality we are fans and it is none of our beeswax...
It does. But that is part of college athletics. Sometimes guys are just better, but that doesn't mean competitors stop competing. I feel comfortable saying he will continue to compete. That is a different assertion than making Oliver the victim of a coaching conspiracy. It is a victim mentality to infer that the coaches just don't want to play him. As fans, I understand speculation when it is reasonable. I don't understand Harb and this assertion.

What basis do you have to think OM is awesome? Do you watch practice every day, and see him outperforming the other WR?

We have a really good WR group. Brandon Smith on the verge of super stardom. ISM is the straw the stirs the drink. Tyrone Tracy is electric, if he can just improve his handle. Raigini is somewhat the forgotten man who still led the team in receptions.

Which of these players should lose reps to OM?

To quote "The Dude" .... that's just like your opinion man!

Forgive me if this isn't accurate, I'm a huge fan, but not to the point I can dissect game plans etc, but didn't OM come in and on his first play during a crucial 3rd down have a huge holding penalty?

ADVERTISEMENT