ADVERTISEMENT

OM~~~Hindsight 20/20

Tracy has some drops but is VERY dangerous. I wouldn’t even think OM is gunning for his time, he should be working on the Vberg/easy E spot where Rags is kinda working.

Reactions: Harbinger273
It is now very clear that Oliver Martin should have been on the field all year long. He is a highly capable receiver who can most surely hack it with anyone on the team right now. Gotta keep guys like him interested or you get what we got when he first committed out of High School. I hope he sticks it out and shows how elite he can be. He could have gotten a jump start with that this year if he hadn't been relegated to riding the bench. I look forward to hearing about the incredible rapport he and Petras establish between now and the 20 season then seeing him catch 65 balls for 850 yds and 9 tds.
71aye.jpg

Last edited:
How pathetic do you have to be to start a new thread on this just hours after posting in a thread about the same subject?

Honestly feel for some of the posters on here, because I don't think they're all there or they get something really weird out of this.

Interesting, one poster says he should play based on HS, etc. that is chuckle worthy, another poster says he shouldn’t based on pre game effort, also chuckle worthy. The need to start another thread when there already one going was the head scratcher.

It is now very clear that Oliver Martin should have been on the field all year long. He is a highly capable receiver who can most surely hack it with anyone on the team right now. Gotta keep guys like him interested or you get what we got when he first committed out of High School. I hope he sticks it out and shows how elite he can be. He could have gotten a jump start with that this year if he hadn't been relegated to riding the bench. I look forward to hearing about the incredible rapport he and Petras establish between now and the 20 season then seeing him catch 65 balls for 850 yds and 9 tds.

It's clear to you, every other fan sees more talent ahead of him. It really is that simple.

You have got to be kidding me.

You just won’t stop will you?

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Try to contribute something valuable to the thread bud. I know its a struggle for you.

OM is a talent to behold and could have performed very well this year if given the chance all year. Time to change the operation a little bit and put a guy like him on the field.
I don’t know why you had to go starting a new thread about the exact same topic that has 3 pages going and counting that you are quite active in.

Are you his dad, brother, cousin or something?

Last edited:
Listen man, I don't need to provide you with any new reasons that fit your qualitative criteria. You've seen what I posted on why I think he should have been on the field much more. He could have been our top guy if he got the reps. I don't share your presumptive sentiment toward Copeland. However, I did not say he is playing the wrong guy. Its who he is not playing thats the issue.
You don’t need to provide us with info backing your claims? I can tell you this, we aren’t just going to believe you.

Again, please enlighten all of us on how you know for a fact he should have been taking snaps away from someone else....

Edit. You finally said why. Because he’s athletic sndcwas good in high school he should play? Everyone on the team is athletic and was a stud in high school. I guess everyone on the team should get to play every game?

I would think that assertions from both sides would bother you then? Especially the side that says maybe he isnt as good as we all thought? Maybe the other guys are just better?

Harb just thinks the kid should get more playing time, so hes the only one you call out?

I am in the camp of why didnt OM get more playing time? Makes one wonder and I think both sides of this argument have no idea but would like to know...

In reality we are fans and it is none of our beeswax...
Harb is being relentless so I can see why.

Jesus Flick!There you go being a condescending Dick again!I know his post is a little out there but Christ cut him some slack!
My bad Flick I did not realize that Harb has be harassing you on another thread.I apologize I believe he called you a rat f£;k.He has clearly lost it.

I would really like to say, but I am not saying any more out of respect for my relationship with them. Sorry, but I have made that mistake before. I do truly hate when people make assertions about a kid without knowing everything, which is why I said something. FWIW
Kudos, you shouldn't say more. I'm pretty confident both the coaches and Oliver know why his playing time was limited, and a bunch of anonymous posters on an Internet message board think they're entitled to know. They're not....

I like OM...but I Don't think he is better then what they have out there currently
ISM>OM
Brandon Smith>OM
Tracy>OM
Ragaini=OM
I have a big problem with Tracy's drops. They are a killer. If he can improve his catching, he could be elite. Our offense can't afford the many drops he has. Yes, he is capable of making a big play, also. His play tells me the coaches feel the risk is worth the reward, which is debatable, imo. On the other hand, I have nothing to say about OM since he has rarely played.

In order to make some of these outlandish comments about OM you really should list your credentials as to give yourself some credibility.
I will start by saying if your credentials don't start with the following:
1. I am at every Iowa Hawkeye football practice
2. I am his position coach
Until you have those credentials then blow your opinion out your butt..Save us all from your agendas.
giphy.gif

If there is anything we can all agree on, it's that our coaches love taking risks. Kirk "Riverboat Gambler" Ferentz.

It's like Shrodinger's immigrant, who simultaneously is too lazy to work but steals your job.

KF is so boring that he won't take any chances on offense, but so reckless that he insists on playing inferior players.
schrodingers-immigrant-simultaneously-stealing-your-job-and-too-lazy-to-45233801.png

Try to contribute something valuable to the thread bud. I know its a struggle for you.

OM is a talent to behold and could have performed very well this year if given the chance all year. Time to change the operation a little bit and put a guy like him on the field.

So just cuz he was a 4 star you think he's better then anyone else??? I don't think so tim

Reactions: Eternal Return

If he had gone to Iowa straight out of high school he might have been ahead of Tracy or Ragaini in terms of "playing fast" but he didn't so he's behind them right now. An offseason in the program is what he needs to see if he's worthy of getting more looks than those guys. I'm not convinced he'll beat either one of them out. He'll have to earn it rather than just be given starter status by fans just because of his name.

Posters making alot of wrongful assumptions about why I think he should have seen the field much more this past season. I think they wasted a perfectly good year with him and now we will see if he remains invested in the program.

Posters making alot of wrongful assumptions about why I think he should have seen the field much more this past season. I think they wasted a perfectly good year with him and now we will see if he remains invested in the program.

Always double down when you’re getting completely owned. Strong play.

Again, he got beat out by better players. If that’s enough to shake his investment in the program, then he isn’t Hawkeye material. A far cry from guys like Ochoa and Holloway who grinded and stepped up when their numbers were called. What if Keith Duncan took his ball and went home after he was the hero of the 2016 Michigan game only to lose his spot to Recinos? Those are the guys I want at Iowa. OM can be like that or maybe Scott Frost would take him.

Last edited:
Our desire to hold identity-consistent beliefs often far outweigh our goals to hold accurate beliefs. This may be because being a part of a political party or social group fulfills fundamental needs, like the need for belonging, which supersede our need to search for the truth.

Blocking out information we disagree with—through creating social media echo chambers, reading partisan news, or only surrounding ourselves with friends who agree with us—can also lead to our opinions becoming more extreme. A number of psychological studies have shown that group discussions can lead people to hold more extreme beliefs than they would on their own—a phenomenon known as group polarization. Our tendency to surround ourselves with only like-minded opinions may be one of the reasons why we are rapidly becoming more polarized.

Always double down when you’re getting completely owned. Strong play.

Again, he got beat out by better players. If that’s enough to shake his investment in the program, then he isn’t Hawkeye material. A far cry from guys like Ochoa and Holloway who grinded and stepped up when their numbers were called. What if Keith Duncan took his ball and went home after he was the hero of the 2016 Michigan game only to lose his spot to Recinos? Those are the guys I want at Iowa. OM can be like that or maybe Scott Frost would take him.
Yeah, Oliver is 5th on the depth chart. Simple as that.

Even when Brandon Smith went down with injury we did not see Oliver. We stuck with our top 3 WRs instead.

And who else did we see on the field, going out for passes? True freshman Tyler Goodson. That was very telling, imo.

One hundred percent serious that OM should have been kept in the mix from the beginning and he would have continued to be a factor the whole way. I know he will continue to work hard in the program and make his mark over the next 2+ years.

Oliver Martin had more penalties than catches.. Lined up in the wrong spot against Minnesota.. Did he play after that?

Let’s stop with the talk that he is still learning our offense—- opposing defenses have it mastered one game week prep
This is clever.. it must mean that Iowa’s defense has mastered every opposing offense

Reactions: ichawk24
Listen man, I don't need to provide you with any new reasons that fit your qualitative criteria. You've seen what I posted on why I think he should have been on the field much more. He could have been our top guy if he got the reps. I don't share your presumptive sentiment toward Copeland. However, I did not say he is playing the wrong guy. Its who he is not playing thats the issue.
Based upon what? The TD in the opening game? I saw him run the wrong routes in other games. I'm not going to knock OM, but do you think it's possible that he wasn't playing because there were guys on the team that earned their spots?

I'm not saying that I wasn't excited to see him play, but I think it's a real stretch to say he could have been our best receiver. I mean, "could have" is a pretty broad claim, but we had some damn good receivers this year. He's a big boy, though. He'll be alright. And he'll get his chance.

How come he couldn't even crack the special teams depth chart?

Based upon what? The TD in the opening game? I saw him run the wrong routes in other games. I'm not going to knock OM, but do you think it's possible that he wasn't playing because there were guys on the team that earned their spots?

You have a far more complete understanding of the playbook than most if you can determine he ran the wrong routes.

You have a far more complete understanding of the playbook than most if you can determine he ran the wrong routes.
Can’t confirm wrong routes but he had at least 5 penalties this season.. false starts and lining up in the wrong spot. You put a guy in for a play and he gets a penalty... Does he deserve more playing time?

Not really but it’s apparent when he Ran into another receiver early in the year. Look, I don’t want to knock him. I think he’s going to be a valuable member of the team. For whatever reason, it wasn’t this year. Martin can work his way to being a contributor, I have no doubt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT